Upgrading a pre-built HP Z220, need options! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Upgrading a pre-built HP Z220, need options!

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I'm looking to upgrade a pre-built HP Z220. It has 8 gigs of ram and an i7 3770 processor, but the graphics are very lacking. In addition to that, the power supply is also very small. I'm accustomed to building systems with a large tower, and this has a very small case, not the typical width of a larger tower. What power supplies and graphics cards are available for such small cases? Target budget is ~$200, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 49)
I'm not sure if it's the SFF or CMT, but either way I would recommend this. Leave the PSU alone. It should be enough for what you need, and not only that, the motherboard has an 8 pin connector instead of the 24 pin. It's a dell proprietary thing.

For the GPU. I would go with a 1050Ti SFF. Link HERE. There are a couple different ones on newegg, ranging from $159.99 to $210.07.

That card will fit, and doesn't require a power connector. Other than that, get you an additional 2x4 kit of ram and your set.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the input on a low profile graphics card. I'm afraid the power supply still won't hold up. The specs sheet recommends 300w power supply for that graphics card, and I believe the pre-built one has the bare minimum of 90w.

Edit: Looking at this guy as a possible PSU:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151113&ignorebbr=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Well which model is it, the SFF or CMT? Both have different PSUs.
SFF has a 240W PSU and the CMF has a 400W PSU.
Anyway, that suggested 1050 Ti will work fine on either of those. The recommendations are just guidelines to follow, not hard facts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I will check again on the PSU, have to go over to my neighbors to view it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroinShooter View Post

Well which model is it, the SFF or CMT? Both have different PSUs.
SFF has a 240W PSU and the CMF has a 400W PSU.
Anyway, that suggested 1050 Ti will work fine on either of those. The recommendations are just guidelines to follow, not hard facts.

It's an SFF, 240 W power supply. I'd be inclined to try the 1050ti on a 240 w, but I'd like to have a backup option just in case. I'd hate to order the guy a new graphics card, then say your SOL it doesn't work.

The power supply I linked seems to a bit too large. The dimensions of the old one are 2 1/4" height, 5 1/4" length, 5" width. Is there any particular term I can search for when looking at power supplies to know that they fit a small footprint?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 03:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 49)
From the HP spec sheet, it looks like a 240W 90% efficiency. Me personally, I would run it. If your super concerned, you can grab one of these HERE and get a compatible PSU. I'm not sure on the physical size of the PSU however.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Yeah I wouldn't be worried about the PSU, it should be just fine.
I looked around a bit but I can't find any quality PSUs to fit in those size dimensions. That SFF model has a small form factor PSU but most if not all aftermarket SFF PSUs have a height of 2.5 inches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in