Lenovo M90 SFF missing Secure Boot - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Lenovo M90 SFF missing Secure Boot

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 178 (Unique: 144)
Lenovo M90 SFF missing Secure Boot

Hidy Ho everyone.

I was setting up a Lenovo sff M90 PC with windows 10, and it won't partition the drive correctly. It does the MBR partition setup instead of the UEFI setup.

I have updated the BIOS to the newest available from Lenovo's site (it says UEFI/BIOS). When I did the update, it told me this version was already installed, but I forced it to reinstall the update anyway.

Most PCs will have one or two options in BIOS/UEFI for turning on or shutting off UEFI boot. This particular Lenovo PC only has the one option, which is Secureboot.

This option is supposed to be in the BIOS under Security, but is completely missing.

I have seen some other people have had this same problem with assorted models of Lenovo PCs, and they have mostly said that reverting to defaults using the F9 key will get the Secureboot option to show up, but unfortunately it does not in this case. I have tried several times using F9 repeatedly, and the option to restore defaults in the exit screen, but the Secureboot option never shows up. I also tried turning Legacy mode on and off but it made no difference.

Some people have had luck on some models by creating an Administrator password in the BIOS, but this also did not work (and those people who had luck this way had the Secureboot option, but it was greyed out).

I have rechecked the BIOS version several times.

I have also used the Enter key to get the boot menu to show up, and although my flash drive is listed, it is not listed as a UEFI boot device (it does not show any UEFI information at all, like the PC does not have UEFI). I have tried several flash drives, which all work on other PCs with UEFI, and are all using images created with the Windows Media Creation tool direct from Microsoft. This flash drive works perfectly on Dell PCs and laptops.

The PC is a second gen i3, so it should have UEFI capability, and the downloads page at Lenovo says the BIOS is also UEFI.

At this point, after searching the Internet for an hour, I have given up and am installing Windows 10 in BIOS mode. I just thought I would come to ocn and see if anyone has any further ideas over the ones I have already tried.

This is the second time in two weeks I have had this issue. The first time was with a Toshiba laptop that also was supposed to have Secureboot in the Security menu in BIOS, but it also did not have that option present. After BIOS updates and searching for assistance, I finally had to give up and install Windows 10 in BIOS mode. What's really strange about that particular one was that the old hard drive was going bad, developing lots of sector errors, but it was correctly set up with the four partitions used in UEFI mode. When we replaced the drive with a brand new Seagate Barracuda and went to install Windows 10, I had this same issue.

Go figure.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 178 (Unique: 144)
It's unfortunate that no one seems to have any ideas.

I hate giving up on stuff like this, but I can't spend any more time on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in