Upgrade my whole system or just the video card? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Upgrade my whole system or just the video card?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:41 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 817 (Unique: 549)
wait for AMD ryzen 7nm information at CES 2019 (January)

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:49 PM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 103 (Unique: 81)
I have it too. I am on BIOS 3801.

I had to play with a few things to get booted up with 3000mhz CL15 ram (4x8gb), otherwise was very nice to play with.

ASUS makes a few of the settings very easy to understand via information that pops up on the bottom left of the BIOS screens when you are playing with clocks, voltages, and related settings.

I had to play around for my ram, as XMP profile freaking sucked and would not boot up.

BUT my 5930K booted 4.2ghz with 1.15 volts, 1.8volts cpu input, and system agent voltage around 0.95 ish

I also had the cache set to 3.2ghz with only a minor bump over default. I dont know if I really needed a voltage bump, but I am one to bump any related voltage a little bit, test for stability, and then once I am happy with where the clocks sit, THEN I work on lowering voltages one at a time to reduce temperatures.

I am rather new to X99, so anything I learned, was from the LTT vidoe, asus's own website forums, or on the rampage thread.

Good read, that one. First page helped me out quite a bit, as I was having trouble doing just my ram. XMP profiles are broken for my ram. it lists the JEDEC spec perfectly, and the XMP profile has like 2 settings filled in, rest is blank or way off. No way in heck 3000mhz ram can post with CL4 lol
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
I have it too. I am on BIOS 3801.

I had to play with a few things to get booted up with 3000mhz CL15 ram (4x8gb), otherwise was very nice to play with.

ASUS makes a few of the settings very easy to understand via information that pops up on the bottom left of the BIOS screens when you are playing with clocks, voltages, and related settings.

I had to play around for my ram, as XMP profile freaking sucked and would not boot up.

BUT my 5930K booted 4.2ghz with 1.15 volts, 1.8volts cpu input, and system agent voltage around 0.95 ish

I also had the cache set to 3.2ghz with only a minor bump over default. I dont know if I really needed a voltage bump, but I am one to bump any related voltage a little bit, test for stability, and then once I am happy with where the clocks sit, THEN I work on lowering voltages one at a time to reduce temperatures.

I am rather new to X99, so anything I learned, was from the LTT vidoe, asus's own website forums, or on the rampage thread.

Good read, that one. First page helped me out quite a bit, as I was having trouble doing just my ram. XMP profiles are broken for my ram. it lists the JEDEC spec perfectly, and the XMP profile has like 2 settings filled in, rest is blank or way off. No way in heck 3000mhz ram can post with CL4 lol
Thanks. I am just overall confused about overclocking. I do have some noobish questions as I know nothing about OC'ing. Is the performance really that much better as a trade off to possibly damaging your computer? What's the worst that could happen? Could it cause a fire? In general is about getting most out of your hardware or is it just kinda bragging rights. Sorta like rigging a car for drag racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
wait for AMD ryzen 7nm information at CES 2019 (January)
7nm is definitely happening soon? Does that apply to video cards? Maybe I should just get the 2080ti and then down the line if I choose a rebuild I can just take the 2080ti out and put it in the new system...I just have been so sick of SLI and regretted ever going this direction and have been wanting to go to just one card since the 1080ti came out. I would have done that but I never could find one because of the bit coin craze. I just want a single card so I can get reliable and smooth performance. Also SLI gets really hot.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 95)
Well going from your stock all core boost to your max all core OC can be as much as 1Ghz faster in some cases.
You will not damage your computer unless your really don't care and/or have poor reading comprehension.
Cause a fire? I guess if you buy cheap enough gear and abuse it enough sure you can start a fire.
Overclocking in normal conditions with a good PSU? No.
As for whether or not it's worth it...that entirely use-case dependent. If you're GPU bottle necked the CPU OC will do little for you. Furthermore a CPU OC's benefits aren't likely to come up in a game unless you measure it. Your max and average FPS will be almost the same in many cases yet the minimum FPS can come up massively. If you're gaming at 60fps you'd likely never notice much difference between most CPU's out there. If I were gaming at 60fps I wouldn't even care about upgrading my CPU and it's only a [email protected]
I posted this before but I'll post it again:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html

As for LTT, their OC guides are usually pretty misleading and leave out lots of info.
If you have no understanding of computers it might not be worth it but if I had your CPU it would still be very relevant. At stock speeds it's still plenty for 60fps and probably a lot more in most games. Really raw speed is the only thing your CPU and ram are missing IMO. My OC is the only reason my CPU is still running games, it's been running this way for about 3 years plus several rounds of 5Ghz runs.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:38 AM
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast

Rep: 103 (Unique: 81)
Out of the box, my 5930K and ram were only running 3.5ghz and 2133mhz mem. I currently have it at an all core 4ghz with the ram at 3000mhz.

For daily use, I can notice the difference, mostly because I am now looking for it.

Being ASUS actually got their overclocking software fairly stable on Intel platforms, especially X99, I can freely adjust speeds without a reboot, and can compare them side to side.

Id say what I have so far is over 5-10% difference, which is quite a bit for nearly zero effort.

People have gotten nearly all the 5xxx and 6xxx chips beyond 4.5ghz, and some all the way to and beyond 5ghz. No fires recorded.

you wont damage anything by having instability because of too low voltage, or bad settings. OVER VOLTAGE will hurt. Just dont go beyond 1.3 volts, and have a nice cooler.

NOW, bad memory voerclocking will lead to corrupted data. SO if you are worried, grab a spare HDD or SSD, boot windows, and go ham on overclocking. Do stress testing, verify everything works, then simply toss your main boot drive back in and enjoy some extra performance.

Overclocking is not a "is it worth it" type of thing. You either enjoy tweaking for a little extra performance, or you enjoy getting more for your money. Numbers games are for people who have the coin to buy the top chips, exotic cooling, and dont mind blwoing a motherboard in the process at times. (or at least prepared just in case)
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:44 AM

No.. the 5820k is still a good CPU. I didn't really need anything either Per say at that Resolution either. But Ryzen is some good deals, so I threw it together anyways dilemma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in