[Complete] Red Alert SR1 - Chopped CM Storm Scout with 360 top radiator - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Complete] Red Alert SR1 - Chopped CM Storm Scout with 360 top radiator

post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 76 (Unique: 58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedark1337;14185183 
biggrin.gif i might steal that idea of cutting the plastic where the fan is. Its kind of stupid to have 2 fan grills on one fan. Don't know why the would do that.

Youve got the modders mindset, its broken ENOUGH to screw with wink.gif I really think it does create some turbulence though, hope it goes well if you do decide to do it!cheers.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

More updates! I have finished cutting away all the plastic on top and I am now in possession of the shroud, or at least what left from the chopjob. wink.gif.

Below: Here is the only pic I took while cutting away the rest of the top plastic. It worked out perfetly that the cut was exactly as wide as the fan grill, so there will be no slots on either side of the shroud. My dumb luck in action biggrin.gif
IMAG0180.jpg

Below: Here is the shroud. I have taken off the angled plastic sides, so now it is pretty much a flat box, which will allow it to fit between the handle and also make it mount and look better on the top. I took off a bunch of the base metal to accomodate the screws for the handle and the other mounting devices of the plastic. They wont be noticeable anyway, so dont mind the metallic sharpie. They will be covered by the plastic on either side. Note:Two and a half rolls of masking tape gave their lives for the success of this project. rolleyes.gif
IMAG0169.jpg

Below: Time for some many metal cutting, the really messy part. For this I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. I will round the corners with that, and then go back and straighten them out later.
IMAG0170.jpg

Below: I was too lazy to take the power supply and all of the cables out, so I just taped the ends and fan hole to keep the dust out. I dont think it should be a problem!
IMAG0171.jpg

Well, im gettin down to the real nitty gritty of this mod now, there is definately no turning back. So far I am very happy with how things are going. The shroud and and other cuts have gone better than expected, and my brothers jagsaw skills should come in handy for the next part biggrin.gif. as always feel free to leave any comments or suggestions!
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
I likey..biggrin.gif I might use your idea but with a 240 up top

sub'd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 32)
nice work! Lots of radiator in there thumb.gif

Scratch Case-mod: ANNEXED
Featuring 600mm tall plywood panels, entirely rearrange components and WATERCOOLED thumb.gif
Other CASE Mods....
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoket4279` View Post
I likey.. I might use your idea but with a 240 up top

sub'd
Sounds great! Be sure the 140's fit in between the handle if you are planning to use a shroud. The 120's were pretty close to the plastic handles soo measure twice, cut once. Thanks for the sub, I appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatwilly View Post
nice work! Lots of radiator in there
Thanks! I checked out your scout worklog, needless to say I liked it a lot.
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Nice work! Seems like you and me are almost doing the same project! I'm doing the same sort of think to my case, an Azza Helios 910. Same issue, doesn't fit a 360 rad, need to put one in lol.

Looks like it's working out pretty good so far! I hope you don't get any metal shavings in your PSU cables from the jig saw though - they would be a pain to get out. Keep up the good work!

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul.;14215597 
Nice work! Seems like you and me are almost doing the same project! I'm doing the same sort of think to my case, an Azza Helios 910. Same issue, doesn't fit a 360 rad, need to put one in lol.

Looks like it's working out pretty good so far! I hope you don't get any metal shavings in your PSU cables from the jig saw though - they would be a pain to get out. Keep up the good work!

Great minds think alike! wink.gif Checked out your log, props for making your own shroud, that must way more difficult (read: satisfying) than buying something from Koolance.

I taped the connectors pretty dang well so hopefully no shavings. Also, the PSU fan is facing down so very little risk there! You keep up the good work as well mate!
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 21)
Dude, you have to become a member of the Storm Scout club, follow this link and you will get lots of ideas for your 360 rad
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasl46;14216581 
Dude, you have to become a member of the Storm Scout club, follow this link and you will get lots of ideas for your 360 rad

I will check it out! Since it appears to be a massive thread, do you now offhand if anyone has tried to put a 360 rad on top of (or anywhere for that matter) a Storm Scout?
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Well I went searching as I'm a member over there and not even I have read through all those pages , but from what I could gather, is a few of the members talked about putting a 360 up front and a couple talked about a 240 up top other than that couldnt find any definite pics to support any such mods so hope this help as there are a ton of other great advise and mods in the thread

Just found this....member B_Negative put a 360 up top https://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/525009-official-coolermaster-storm-scout-club-2258.html
Bigfatwilly put a 240 in bottom https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/823121-cm-storm-spectre-complete.html
mr charles's build https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/758141-cm-scout-seal-edition.html

I found all to be very good reading and alot of good info I thought I would share

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in