[Complete] Red Alert SR1 - Chopped CM Storm Scout with 360 top radiator - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Complete] Red Alert SR1 - Chopped CM Storm Scout with 360 top radiator

post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 76 (Unique: 58)
Large last ditch update before I go to Cali for the weekend! Did some major work, cut the top off, mounted the shroud, put the fans in, lookin pretty sexy if I do say so myself biggrin.gif

Beginning the cut with the jigsaw:
IMAG0172.jpg

Most of the cutting done, but the mesh does not work well with the jigsaw, so we were forced to dremel those parts out. It takes a little longer but ends up being just as good!
IMAG0173.jpg

Here is the hole in all its glory! The white paper is to catch a lot of the dust so I dont have to worry as much about cleaning out the case when Im done.
IMAG0175.jpg

The shroud slides right under the handle like a champ!
IMAG0181.jpg
IMAG0182.jpg

Ooo FANS:
IMAG0184.jpg
IMAG0187.jpg

Yes I realize the fans are upside down. It was a brainless mistake thumb.gif
IMAG0188.jpg

You can see the hole extends farther than the shroud, this is to accomodate the USB/power/reset etc cables from the front panel of the scout. Since we covered up the old hole with the shroud, we had to make sure there was some place for the cables to go:
IMAG0190.jpg

Anyway, that is all for now, another major step id say. Soon I will put everything back together and mount the fans right to finally see how she looks! Thanks for looking! Comments/Suggestions/ subscriptions welcomed wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoket4279`;14218636 
Just found this....member B_Negative put a 360 up top https://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/525009-official-coolermaster-storm-scout-club-2258.html
Bigfatwilly put a 240 in bottom https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/823121-cm-storm-spectre-complete.html
mr charles's build https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/758141-cm-scout-seal-edition.html

I found all to be very good reading and alot of good info I thought I would share

Thanks for giving me the links mate, I will definitely check those out. Its too bad B NEGATIVE beat me to the punch tongue.gif. Storm Scout Club seems like a pretty cool place with lots of helpful tips! I posted a pic of this mod there to maybe get some suggestions, keep checkin in! biggrin.gif
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 789 (Unique: 492)
biggrin.gif
You wont regret it....
careful what rad thickness you go for,you only have about 30mm clearance to your ram slots if you go internal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Have you desided what radiator your gonna be using yet? and the results are looking awsome

post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE View Post

You wont regret it....
careful what rad thickness you go for,you only have about 30mm clearance to your ram slots if you go internal.
Yea, the one bad thing about an build like this, cant use a very thick rad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoket4279` View Post
Have you desided what radiator your gonna be using yet? and the results are looking awsome
My choices have really narrowed down, seeing as how the thickness has to be very low. There is a magicool and also a swiftech I believe that fit the bill, we shall see soon! Thanks for the interest!
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Back from Cali-forn-i-a!! I now present you PICTURES!!

Some Pics with the radiator shroud and fans installed:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ooh sexy rezzz: (RP450X2) (Now discontinued) Fan controller is Lamptron FC6, highly recommended. Able to change the screen color, I chose red of course

Time for another teardown, I need to cut some more of the cable management clips on the top of the case in order to get the rad to sit flat on top, I will need every mm I can get

Cutting update to come in a day or two, also putting in some noise canceling foam, more for the looks though. If it actually dampens any noise, its a plus
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Well, we are one step closer to the watercooling, all the parts for that part should be here within the week!!

First, some more dremel work! I will cut some more holes in various parts of the case to accomodate the large amount of cables from the fan controller, pump, switches, etc. I want to route them all out of sight, as you can imagine. For this reason, all the front panel cables will all be routed this way as well, not through the hole on the back panel, where they are routed when you first get the case:

I also had to cut the cables management clips at the top of the case, as it will allow the radiator to mount flatly to the top of the case, creating more clearance between the rad and the mobo, and also preventing damage and scratching to the rad:

Mmmm, Storm Scout powder....

Mounting the foam liner to make things look cleaner and mayber help with noise a little?

Another unfortunate turn of events, is that I need to cut off the top of the back panel, so the radiator can fit. The further back I push the radiator, the more of the fans are exposed, as hopefully the better the cooling. This is the reason I didnt just move the shroud up further toward the front of the case.:

Once I put everything back together, this is the monster of wires I had to deal with. That is what you get when you put all these LEDs, switches and fan controls in a mid tower I guess... I literally had to use my weight to get the back panel on again.

Here is the pic of the front of the case, sorry for the bad lighting... Once again, the res is a Koolance RP 450X2, the fan controller is a Lamptron FC6, and the switchplate is the performance pcs, along with some Red LED switches. The switches will be wired to the red LED strip, the UV LED strip, the LEDs in the res, and two other things I have yet to decide on Looks like I used all the drive bays

Terrible view of the front, but I wanted you all to understand that the front doesnt look the same as the back

Night Shotsss, they will be much better once the tubing and everything comes in. Cant wait! I promise I will get a decent camera for the final pics

mmmmm RED

Hopefully you like . The real part I am looking forward to is getting all this hardware under water so she can really glow. Thanks for following
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

List of Watercooling parts coming in the mail:

1 xKoolance PMP-450 High-flow Pump$76.99
2 xKoolance QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff, Male $23.98
1 xEK-Supreme HF High Flow - "Easy Mount" - Copper/Acetal $72.95
2 xBitspower G 1/4" Matte Black Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter$25.90
2 xKoolance QDC (High Flow) No-Spill Shutoff, Female Threaded$21.98
6 xBitspower G1/4 Matte Black Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8"$95.70
1 xBitspower BP-MBWP-C60 G1/4" Matte Black IG1/4" Extender - 15mm$5.49
1 x*** NEW *** EK-FC6970 for AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6970 Series - Acetal $99.95
1 xDanger Den Red UV DreamFlex All-in-One "Retail Pack" - 3/8" ID Tubing$29.95

Sub-Total:$Too Much
United Parcel Service (Ground):$Way too much
Total:$A lot more than planned
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 PM
FS19 Addict

Rep: 350 (Unique: 310)
Nice work think this is first time I have seen a rad mounted like that in this case.
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Arter View Post
Nice work think this is first time I have seen a rad mounted like that in this case.
Thanks mate! Im glad it all worked out, it was the first time I had done a mod without a specific step by step tutorial. I think it turned out alright, thanks for checking in!

EDIT: Parts should be on my doorstep when I get home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in