[Project] Goby's TT Armor LCS Build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Project] Goby's TT Armor LCS Build

post #1 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 110 (Unique: 82)
Hi Overclockers! I'm Goby. I new here and this is my first real build/mod. My first personal computer I helped build about 13 years ago with stock, boring parts on my first personal computer. It was a whopping 433 Mhz!! Since then my next upgrades where to a no name 700 Mhz stock boring beige POS. my last computer was a decent Sony Vaio 1.3 Ghz that lasted me about 6 years. I have upgraded the ram, video card, few extra ports....nothin' fancy.

Well, the time has come to get back up to date. I have been researching my new rig since about January. I have visited numerous forums and sites reading, reading, reading and then reading some more. My build should be dedicated to Overclock.net,Tom's Hardware, Dell, FrozenCPU, Xoxide, Newegg, TigerDirect, CrazyPC, thebestcasescenario.com.......and hundreds of other sites.

A little about me. I am currently a Web Designer for a mid size company. I am the only web guy!!! I maintain (or atleast try to) somewhere around 20-30 different sites, internal and external. I am a busy guy! I got my BA in New Media from Indiana University and a Certificate in Programming from Purdue. Also certified in SQL. My other hobby is sal****er aquariums which I now have less and less time for now that I have a new son! (7 months old). work and family is about all I have time for these days, but I got to squeeze in my crazy hobbies(as my wife would say) or I would go nuts!

Now on to the show...........

My new rig will consist of the following:
Monitor: 19" LCD Ultrasharp x 2
Power Supply: ULTRA 550W X2-Connect Power Supply - Titanium w/ Blue UV
Case: Thermaltake Armor LCS Black
HDD:Western Digital Raptor 74GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive(2) & 1 Western Digital Raptor 150GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Liquid Cooling: This is already built into the case, but I upgraded the pump and added in some extras: Danger Den MAZE4 Chipset Block(Northbridge), Danger Den MAZE4 Chipset Block(Southbridge), KOOLANCE RAM-30-V06 Memory Cooling Block, Innovatek Tank-O-Matic - External Reservoir, Swiftech MCP655™ 12v Water Pump w/ 3/8" Conversion Kit (317 GPH)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G1975x G1 Turbo
CPU: Intel Pentium D 940 Presler 800MHz FSB 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
Keyboard: Saitek Black Wired Eclipse Keyboard
Graphics Card: ATI 100-714800 All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card
Audio: Creature II Speaker System Black, AS501 Sound Bar - for UltraSharp Brand Flat Panel Monitors ONLY

Thats about most of the components excluding all the little accessories IE: lighting, controllers, fans, etc....

its funny that all of this equipment is fairly new on the market...yet its already outdated. Oh well.

Here is my old computer(with my new shiny dual 19" Dell Ultrasharps!)

Closeup of the LCD's These are a huge Difference compaired to my old 17" Sony triniton CRT.!! (props to Overclock.net!)

WHOOO-HOOOO its Christmas in July!!!! I got most of my stuff last week!!! I already had Maverick the cat, he likes to help me mod computers!

Here is the good stuff!

Thermaltake Armor LCS

WD 74 gig Raptor HDD's

WD 150 gig Raptor HDD

Ultra X2 550 Watt PSU

Intel Pentium D 940 3.2 Ghz CPU

Saitek Eclipse Illuminated Keyboard

Koolance RAM-30-V06 Water block

DangerDen Maze4 Chipset Water Block

Microsoft Win XP Pro w/service pack 2

Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Twin2x RAM 6400C4

ATI x1900 All-In-Wonder VGA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

And now a word from our sponsor!

my drink of choice!~
post #3 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

For my first case mod, I want to put another windowed door on the other side so the case is totally see through. I have on order a TT armor door with the 25cm fan. and when I was planning that mod, I thought, gee...., the inside of the case is kinda ugly, with the stell gray color. So of course I began searching the forum to see if others had painted the inside of their cases. and wouldnt you know it, lots of people have. So now I had a good idea of what kind of paint I needed, and how to do it!

MY ARMOR IS NAKED!!! ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!

This piece I had to drill out the pop rivets to I get paint it. This is the top piece in the case that the HDD removable drive bay hooks on to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #5 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok for now we can get back to the build. Christmas is over..........until i get my next shipment of boxes!!!! <laughing in Dr. Evil voice!>

Went to Lowes on my Lunch break and picked up the paint and supplies. I decided to use Rustoleum brand paint. I was actually looking for Krylon, but they didnt carry it and I didnt feel like going anywhere else. I picked up some Professional Primer, Metallic Flake Black and Crystal Clear-clear coat. The metallic flake is really cool. Its not a big flake like you see on cars. You have to be very close up to see it. but it really makes the black shine!!! I almost got a reflective clear coat, but I didnt want to be blinded everytime I look into the case...the LED's and CC's will do that! I will be painting everything but leaving the top and bottom as is. So far I got everything taped up and ready to go. I decided not to sand anything for a few reasons. one, others have painted the inside without sanding and have good results. Second, I just didnt feel like doing it. There is too many nooks and crannies to get to and it would take forever. Plus I figure that 1-2 coats of primer, 2-3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear will be just fine to protect, seal and stick. Now Off to the Painters...(unfortunatly I probably wont get to painting till next week. Going to kings island this weekend. YIPEE!

and of course more pictures!

Rustoleum - Gray Primer

Rustoleum - Black Night Metallic Flake - Paint

Rustoleum - Crystal Clear - Clear Coat

I put some white paper on the inside on the tape to hold it together. Didnt want the paint to get on the outside because I dont plan on paint the original paint.

post #6 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 67 (Unique: 56)
NICE !

enjoying this much..... like they way you make pictures step by step

post #7 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowie
NICE !

enjoying this much..... like they way you make pictures step by step
Thanks!!! I am enjoying it too! I have always repsected people who take the time and do a detailed log. that way it helps others out if they want to know a specific piece of information, such as a specific model number, or what the package looks like....things people like to know. plus whats a build log without TONS of pictures....everyone loves pictures!

I am expecting a few more boxes by the end of the week. more water cooling stuff from frozen, and I just got my mobo(gigabyte ga-g1975x) today on ebay. sorry if I outbid someone! Som of the mods I am planning on incorporating is adding a PSOne LCD Mod somewhere. I also have one of these coming that I picked up on ebay. now I need to get a cheapo matrox mystique vga to drive it.

I also want to do the Loginoki mod as well.

I think putting the computer together, both mods, taking care of the family, and working over time to pay off CC bill will keep me busy for a long time!!!

Thats all for now, check back for updates! and thanks for following! fell free to ask questions/comments as I go!!

Kyle
post #8 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobygoby
Thanks!!! I am enjoying it too! I have always repsected people who take the time and do a detailed log. that way it helps others out if they want to know a specific piece of information, such as a specific model number, or what the package looks like....things people like to know. plus whats a build log without TONS of pictures....everyone loves pictures!

I am expecting a few more boxes by the end of the week. more water cooling stuff from frozen, and I just got my mobo(gigabyte ga-g1975x) today on ebay. sorry if I outbid someone! Som of the mods I am planning on incorporating is adding a PSOne LCD Mod somewhere. I also have one of these coming that I picked up on ebay. now I need to get a cheapo matrox mystique vga to drive it.

I also want to do the Loginoki mod as well.

I think putting the computer together, both mods, taking care of the family, and working over time to pay off CC bill will keep me busy for a long time!!!

Thats all for now, check back for updates! and thanks for following! fell free to ask questions/comments as I go!!

Kyle
Lol, you must have been reading up on Formed's Cybers, and mine Case -mod-logs..

Keep going!!!!! I <3 PICTURES!!!!!

post #9 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 107 (Unique: 89)
Very nice so far, i have been reading and you are very detailed and pictures are always good.
Continue ....

post #10 of 801 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS---
Lol, you must have been reading up on Formed's Cybers, and mine Case -mod-logs..

Keep going!!!!! I <3 PICTURES!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin100
Very nice so far, i have been reading and you are very detailed and pictures are always good.
Continue ....

Thanks guys. Who doesnt love pics? I want to keep an accurate log for everyone to read(because I love to read a good log as well) and so I can see what I am doing from somewhat of a second perspective. Plus I love comments/questions!

----------------

Tonights episode is sponsored by Corona Extra! (please drink responsibly)

Today isnt as exciting, but still cool.....I got MORE packages!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYY

I recieved from Dell, two sound bars! I knew these werent the end all of speakers but figured they would be good background speakers.

More boxes, Yippeee!!!!!

Out of the box. These speakers are bigger and built better then I had originally expected, nice job Dell. The front grill is made of metal, I figured it would be all plastic. The nice thing about these speakers is that they plug into the LCD for power, NO MORE AC ADAPTERS!! and each bar has 2 headphone jacks along with independent on/off switches and volume control....nice!

Hooked up! One thing I didnt realize is that when powered on they have a cool blue LED right in the center(that little dot you see) to let you know its on. nice feature, but I could see how that could be annoying to some, but I like it! The picture is a bad representation of the LED. its actually much brighter. but not so bright you get blinded. its a nice touch!

As for the sound test. They are pretty good. definatly not for your main sound source. They are great at highs, ok at mids....and ...well....very little bass. good thing I got the creature II setup! Overall I am very impressed with these little guys. They put out a nice crisp sound. they are perfect additions for a surround system that only comes with 2 speakers and a woofer....wink, wink (creature II or the sound sticks by HK). I give the sound bars a 7 out of 10.

Thats it for now. Going to Kings Island over the weekend, see you Monday!
Kyle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in