Project Tiny Thang, i5-2500k w/ NH-D14 GTX 560Ti mATX build [56K Warning] - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Project Tiny Thang, i5-2500k w/ NH-D14 GTX 560Ti mATX build [56K Warning]

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 52)
Laptop replacement and it was cheaper. Planning on taking this to my dorm for full time use, laptop will be for walking around campus. Sig rig is staying home for weekend use. The reason I went small is so it is light enough and small enough to fit in my car if I decide to go to a LAN party. These links are just for reference and not all are what I paid for the items.

Parts List:
Case - Fractal Arc Mini
Motherboard - Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
CPU - Intel i5-2500k
CPU Cooler - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=nh-d14
Graphics - MSI GTX 560 Ti OC
RAM - G. Skill Ripjaw X 1600 (Blues which is 8-8-8-24)
PSU - OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM taken out of my sig rig since I was not using it
DVD Drive - Asus OEM
OS - Windows 7 HP
Monitor - Asus VH238H

Issues: Dropped the PSU on my foot after unbalancing its box. Side panel was stuck, took some effort to finally get it to slide back. HDD tray was quite different than what I have worked with before.

Graphics card and CPU Cooler have not arrived yet, hence why they are not installed. As of right now this is my test bed. Looking like they will arrive Monday.

Pictures in next post.

Sorry for some strange posts, that is what happens when I first wake up or stay up to late.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

SDC14963.jpg
SDC14965.jpg
SDC14966.jpg
SDC14968.jpg
SDC14969.jpg
SDC14970.jpg
SDC14971.jpg
SDC14972.jpg
SDC14973.jpg
SDC14974.jpg
SDC14976.jpg
SDC14977.jpg
SDC14978.jpg
SDC14979.jpg
SDC14980.jpg
SDC14984.jpg

Sorry for some strange posts, that is what happens when I first wake up or stay up to late.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 69 (Unique: 59)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Up and running after putting my new parts in. Letting the TIM set right now, will upload pics of how cramped it is with that NH-D14 in there. I had to plug a fan in behind the heatsink and now my fingers are raw from messing with it. Still can't figure out why the front USB 2.0 plug will not go onto the pins all the way, using the 3.0 for now.

Pics coming tomorrow, too tired right now to take any, plus as I said before I am letting the TIM set. Still need my peripherals, I am getting tired of stealing my sig rig's keyboard just to use it. Might order those tomorrow too.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 10:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 51)
How do you like the board? I am gonna downsize for my dorm room and plan on getting that board but in a Lian Li case.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Everything is cramped. This motherboard so far has taken my physical abuse quite well. To be honest, I think it is better getting a mid tower case for this just for the extra head room to do some cable management. When I post pics you will see just how hard it is to reach some of the PWM's with a full size heat sink, let alone all the other cables.

Only thing I don't like about the board is that it only supports 5 fans, which was enough for my heat sink fans and case fans. If I wanted to add any more to the 4 open slots on my case I would need a fan controller (A single fan controller came with the case, but I haven't set it up yet). Depending on how quickly I get everything finalized, we will see how well the board overclocks smile.gif

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

More pics are up in the second post, taking more later after I can find a keyboard around my house so I don't have to take my sig rig's anymore. Still haven't installed an OS yet so it will be another day or 2 before I can start doing any benchmarks.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Even more pics, still haven't found a good outlet to keep it stationed yet so I haven't been able to do benchmarks. Might move it next to my sig rig so it can at least get internet.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I bought an extremely similar set of components but choose to go with a liquid-based cooling solution, looking forward to seeing your build completed.

Currently Reading:
Maximum vSphere & Visual Basic 2010 Programmers Reference

Net+|A+|Sec+|CCNA|Preparing for CCNP

Past: [Gateway P-6831FX] [Gateway P-6860FX w/ X7800 @ 3Ghz]
Present: [Asus G71-RX05 w/ P8700 @ 2.93 GHz] [FRACTUR3D GENE]
Future: [Synologic DS1511+ NAS (5-10 TB)]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Promise benchmarks and stuff between this weekend and Wednesday of next week. This rig has been sitting on a bed nightstand for I have no more room on the table I am using my sig rig on.... darn you old outdated and large HP computer from 2000 taking up space. Kind of wishing I had done another RAID 0 setup after installing MS Office on it.... seemed to take forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in