Well, here is my first "Work Log", for my first "Case Mod". Please bear with me, and feel free to ask questions or comment (or correct my posting/presentation as it may very well be incorrect).
It all began February of this year, as I was sitting on my netbook reading Kotaku, I noticed an article stating that Bethesda wanted fans to have a kid on 11.11.11 and name it Dovahkiin, after the main character in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Immediately, I ran to my girlfriend and plied the idea of concieving. I was promptly slapped and told to sleep on the couch for the night. It was then I decided that if I couldn't birth a child, I would build one worthy enough of Bethesda's incoming blockbuster. So here is the story/ode/tale of my construction of Dovahkiin- Dragonborn!
It started out with trying to find a case. So I jumped in the car, went to Microcenter, and wandered around trying to find a case which was sturdy, but cheap enough that if I FUBARed it, I wouldn't lose any sleep. I settled on the Diablotek EVO, which was running for 30 bucks. I purchased two, just in case (pun shamelessly intended).
After that, I stared at the case for an exceedingly long time, not blinking, just trying to figure out how to make it cool. With scant ideas, I decided to start making rocks, hoping that things would come together.
In order to make the rocks, I purchased model train rock molds, and a plaster substance called hydrocal. Mixing up a batch, I produced this:
Now that looks like a rock. Problem is, touching it turned it into a fine white powder. Fearing that the rocky computer would soon turn into the Scarface computer, I tossed all the white powder and plaster mix, and stepped it up to Speed-E-Roc. This is a pourable rock substance which was recommended by a friend who is a mason.
A rock solid copy. I was impressed, but the weight of it was kind of concerning. Could an entire wall of these stay on a panel? Determined to find out, I grabbed some PL400 and started gluing:
Now things were starting to take a bit of shape, but it still looked convincingly like I was a third-grader attempting a macaroni-mug. I'd just stuck a bunch of rocks on the case panels...
I decided to try using some automotive filler, roughed up a bit as sort of a grouting or at least to fill in the rocks:
I also put a few smaller rock pieces on the front:
Then filled those in with the body filler. I realized how plain the case would look, as if it were just one big rockwall, so I decided it would be cool to have some lettering on the side saying "SKYRIM" and having the dragon logo which has become synonymous with the game. While I was pondering how to make it look like it had been chiseled out of rock, my good friend, the mason, stated he could probably just cut it out of wood. Skeptical, we went out to the garage and started tracing and cutting out the letters, very, very slowly.
I was thoroughly impressed with the letters:
So I figured I would try to attempt the dragon logo with him:
Super impressed with how it turned out, we debated how to affix it to the rock wall. Finally, we decided on Speedcrete, weight limit be damned.
While that was drying, I had the idea to cut out a V and put it on the front, as a reference to this being the fifth game in the series:
That was affixed with the PL400, so as not to interrupt airflow too terribly.
Realizing that the top and the other panel on the case were completely bare, I decided to procure some dragon action figures, and a nice resin scull for the top:
I decided to do sort of a relief mural effect on the other side, similar to the commercial that Bethesda had put out as a teaser:
A couple of guys fighting a dragon seemed cool (Yes, prince of persia guys), so we speedcreted them to the rock on the case.
About this time, we decided to take a trip to Lowe's and get some paint, so we settled on grey primer, faux rock valspar grey paint, and a dusting of black and brown just to add some organic variance to it all.
First we test painted the rocks with another textured paint:
Yes, green textured paint. I have no clue why anyone produced green rock textured paint, but my guess is someone wanted super realistic kryptonite or something.
Anyway, the painting began:
And then we spray painted Jake Gylenhaal:
After dusting it with a few coats of each, it started to look done...
Finally the case was painted:
So once it dried, I transported it (very carefully) back to the apartment for assembly. Also got all the components out.
After close to seven hours, yes, seven hours of component installation, we had this:
Satisfied, we fired it up and started snappin' some pictures!
Hopefully you guys enjoy the finished product as much as I enjoyed building it.
Also, here's a spoofed Birth Certificate, for my "baby".
And finally, Bethesda's teaser redone with the case:
Thanks for looking. I'm off to explore the countrysides of Skyrim!