Corsair AX custom power cables? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Corsair AX custom power cables?

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Has anyone created their own fully custom cables for the AX series? I was thinking of buying connectors, sleeving and wire and making full customized cables, rather than modifying the cables that come with the power supply. This way I can them the exact length I need.

Also does anyone know of a good guide to fully make cables, rather than just a sleeving guide?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 10:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 24)
Check out what's going on over here... He is making his own custom PSU cables, some good info on tools and materials there.

Quote:
These chillers are used for fish tanks....no load in fish tanks...thats what the RADS are for. ~lvl8hacker
Build Logs
Corsair 600T "Neurotoxin"
CM Storm Scout "Tactical"

Corsair Graphite Club
Asus Maximus IV Extreme Owners Club
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 11:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 48)
Hey stevierg, I've copied the guide from my build log and put it into its own thread, you can find it here.

As you've probably realized, the Corsair AX power supplies are quite challenging to sleeve because of the proprietary connectors and having multiple wires crimped together. Hopefully the guide can help you somewhat, if you have any questions let me know smile.gif Best of luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for that. I already checked out your custom build and it looks awesome so far and that guide is great too, especially for the split cables.

Do you happen to know if the plugs that go into the corsair ax power supply are regular connectors and it's only the funky wiring that makes them unique?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierg View Post

Thanks for that. I already checked out your custom build and it looks awesome so far and that guide is great too, especially for the split cables.
Do you happen to know if the plugs that go into the corsair ax power supply are regular connectors and it's only the funky wiring that makes them unique?

No the connectors are proprietary (custom to Corsair power supplies). From memory, the AX1200 has all the grounded wires located on the bottom row of every connector, which makes the pin-outs entirely different, this is the reason for the "funky wiring". If you were to plug (force) a standard connector into your power supply, you would likely fry it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

In the diagram you have of the plug connector for instance of the PCI-E, it looks like the PCI-E end could fit into the power supply, but the power supply end would not fit into the PCI-E slot. If that's the case I could buy two PCI-E connectors and make my own cable, instead of using the actual connectors that came with the AX, this way I can leave the original cables intact.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierg View Post

In the diagram you have of the plug connector for instance of the PCI-E, it looks like the PCI-E end could fit into the power supply, but the power supply end would not fit into the PCI-E slot. If that's the case I could buy two PCI-E connectors and make my own cable, instead of using the actual connectors that came with the AX, this way I can leave the original cables intact.

Are you referring to this pin-out diagram I made? Take a close look at pin 4 on the PSU connector, notice how its square? So the connectors are not identical. If you want to keep you original cables in tact I would suggest emailing Corsair for another set or cables, they will send them for free, however I am still waiting for mine...

pciepinout640x480.jpg
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah I noticed the square pin 4, but that looked like it would only stop it from going into a pci-e connector however the pci-e connector looks like it could go into the psu plug

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 24)
I know if a bit old now, but came across this post when looking for a wiring diagram.

Well here is mine for those that come across this post, I hope it helps thumb.gif

PDF version for easy printing Corsair AX1200 Wiring Diagram.pdf 48k .pdf file

Current Build Log - Corsair 600T - Jinx

I HATE FrozenCPU.com, they sent faulty goods and will not replace, selling faulty goods to overseas buyers.. poor form Avoid FrozenCPU, if you want to know more, just ask me. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
Nice diagram, it is very easy to read thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in