Build a case out of aluminum – How hard can it be? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Build a case out of aluminum – How hard can it be?

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
No, I am quite optimistic.

As said the water jet will have no trouble cutting the panels out with millimetric precision.
But as this is my first experience with modding I'm a little nervous as to all the details one would have to think through. Have I drawn everything right, is the thickness of the sheets enough, how to properly screw/rivet it together, is it big enough for my planned hardware.... painting.....
And I can't send it to the workshop until I know exactly what kind of bends I can get at the lid and bottom.

These days we have an unusual hot heatwave where I live so its about time my PC got a breather with some bigger rads.

What's that you have used to screw it all together Spotswood? It looked very sleek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotswood View Post

With just standard woodworking tools you will be able to create aluminum cases. Here are some that I've built (and am currently building):
SmallRadBox5_640.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 98 (Unique: 85)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBow View Post

What's that you have used to screw it all together Spotswood? It looked very sleek.

Those are flathead, stainless steel socket cap screws. To quickly tap the thick aluminum bars, I use a hand tapping machine. Worth every penny, because there's nothing worse than breaking a tap in the middle of a project.

Rich

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Is anyone here experienced in AutoCad? I found out that I can use the door on my current case as a form to bend the sheet for the lid, but the door isn't an exact smooth 90° bend so I have to draw the curve on the front and back panel so they line up exactly to the lid.
I have drawn a line around the outer side of the door on a piece of paper and as you can see the bends are a bit special. Anyone have an idea on how I can transfer that in to AutoCad? I've converted a PDF-file to DWG but it really didn't work. The lines weren't straight.

On another note, that door is made out of 3 mm aluminum and is very sturdy so I guess 2 or 3 mm alu should work for the whole case after all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:07 PM
yoi
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 59 (Unique: 52)
i dont know in autocad , but in solidworks , u can use splines , and in another plane , put the picture there , and sketch upon it ,

the same method to create stuff from pictures with the front , top , side and back view of the item u want

dont know if that explains , but maybe its something like this

and

after u have the line down , make it extrude to whatever side u want

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Looks easy, if you just have SolidWorks. But how accurate is it really?
I see you did a good sketch of my door there. You wouldn't be so kind and send me the file so I can put it straight in to AutoCad would you? It would save me a lot of work.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
yoi
Linux Lobbyist

well , its as acurate as how u can recreate that line u did on paper , then , u can use a dimension tool and size it down to a real meassurment and the thickness too , that render was 1mm thick

remember , that drawing u did , doesnt have measurments , so ...

here is the file Part1.zip 86k .zip file

btw , i suggest u use Solidworks or the one from Autodesk , for your custom cases to come , its more simpler (visual) and its as complex as autocad smile.gif the pluss side , u already know autocad so it will be very familiar to you , it will be more like , lots of shortcuts for you smile.gif u just need to know where they are

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBow View Post

Looks easy, if you just have SolidWorks. But how accurate is it really?
I see you did a good sketch of my door there. You wouldn't be so kind and send me the file so I can put it straight in to AutoCad would you? It would save me a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoi View Post

here is the file

AutoCad and SolidWorks files are not compatible, just a heads up. AutoDesk started out as a 2D program for Civil Engineers and Land Developers. More recently it has used its talents towards animations. SolidWorks is a 3D Mechanical Engineering program, it excels at parts, mechanisms, and thermodynamics.

Both are deliciously, prohibitively expensive for a single user. frown.gif

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:57 PM
yoi
Linux Lobbyist

u are right , should had exported them in the respective format , oh well , lets wait for Angelbow and see if he imported the part file on AutoCAD

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Oh yes it did work, kind of. But I don't trust these bends completely so what I think I'll do is get the bends on the walls cut out in straight lines in 45° angles instead, and then file it down myself to fit the lid perfectly. I've heard aluminum is easy to file and I'd rather get too much than to little. Can't really glue on some pieces if I got it cut to short tonguesmiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in