A little server fun (Xeon E5645, 24GB of RAM, 4x1TB Raid 0+1) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

A little server fun (Xeon E5645, 24GB of RAM, 4x1TB Raid 0+1)

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 262 (Unique: 224)
I work as the IT guy and Engineer for a small tech company in Arlington, TX. We decided we wanted VPN capability into our office, but we didn't have anything to VPN into. My boss was thinking we'd need to buy 4 desktops to use for full functionality (we do VB.NET which can't compile code remotely, meaning the computer has to be reasonably powerful for doing programming work on) while we were out of the office - I suggested we just build one computer to run multiple VMs on, and then we could also use it to sandbox software on before we deploy it on our real server (which is kind-of a POS).

Specs:
SuperMicro dual-1366 bare bone
Xeon E5645 (only one to start with)
24 GB of RAM
Four 1TB HDDs in RAID 0+1
The cheapest video card I could find with a good warranty
Intel's new dedicated RAID card w/ battery backup
Server '08 R2 Enterprise

All the parts arrived and it was time for a little fun. I worked from home where I had all my tools and could take the build nice and easy and still get paid normally - because this is still a LOT cheaper than buying a pre-built server from somebody and I'm between projects at work.

Got the bare bone system opened, tidied up the cable management just a little bit and was ready to start.

Removed the fans and the old SATA cables

A very simple looking 24GB of RAM

The new RAID card w/ battery backup mounted and the cables ready to go in

CPU, GPU, RAM and RAID card installed; the hot-swap panel wired.

DVD drive, fans and HSF (I flipped the fan in it, so ignore the little arrow) installed, and the minor cable management I had to do to keep this looking clean

I got the RAID all configured and fully initialized. Then I started PC Check to verify all the hardware worked correctly out of the box and took a nap while it ran. The dog joined me.

PC Check (like most diagnostics that run outside the OS) can't test most RAID arrays. So I installed Server '08 R2 Enterprise and fired up Western Digital Data Lifeguard which in my opinion is the most effective way to test a complete RAID array for perfect functionality.

Possibly the best day and a half of work ever in IT thumb.gif

Term of Service: If I can google your question and get a correct answer in the first 5 links, on my first try; I reserve the right to link you through Let MeGoogleThatForYou.com with the number for the correct answer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 AM

Awesome, thats a nice server bro! biggrin.gif
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm a little surprised this thread didn't get more views, there aren't a lot of server-class builds on here.

Term of Service: If I can google your question and get a correct answer in the first 5 links, on my first try; I reserve the right to link you through Let MeGoogleThatForYou.com with the number for the correct answer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRLurself View Post

I'm a little surprised this thread didn't get more views, there aren't a lot of server-class builds on here.

I know. this is like heaven to me lol I love anything to do with high speed servers rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 AM

Niceee!! Great work, just get another Xeon!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

Niceee!! Great work, just get another Xeon!!!

Well, this server was built with expansion in mind, and so far I've peaked it at around 11GB of RAM being used under light work. It may need more than *just* another Xeon.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 AM

Why if you have 13 GB unused?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Because I'm using up 50% of the RAM working by myself on here getting all the VMs working right. If we had everybody dial into it at once I think it would be close to overloaded.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 39)
Should of done a SR-2, or a SR-3 if thats out yet.

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
Worth: $2577 ($704 with sales)Games owned: 153Games not played: 73 (48%)Hours on record: 265.2h
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRLurself View Post

Because I'm using up 50% of the RAM working by myself on here getting all the VMs working right. If we had everybody dial into it at once I think it would be close to overloaded.

Ah. What you going to get. 64 GB biggrin.gif?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in