Sleeving - Custom Color Dye - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Sleeving - Custom Color Dye

post #1 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 158)
I made an attempt at dyeing some white cable sleeving, in order to make it a custom color for an upcoming build that is in the planning stages right now. Thought I might share my experience so far, because if successful, this could really open up a world of slick color combinations for all you modders out there.

Background:
Upcoming build is going to be color themed after my Alma Mater, the University of Oklahoma. Those colors are crimson and cream. The crimson is kind of a deep blood red. The case for the build is going to get a custom powder coat to match the crimson color, and I want to try and make some of the cable sleeving match this color. Way too much maroon and crimson in the correct color to match any of the red cable sleeving that is out there right now. So, I decided to see if I could take some ordinary white cable sleeving and dye it to match the color build I'm planning.

Process:
First I grabbed some Rit dyes from my local Hobby Lobby. These are also carried at Wal-Mart and almost any fabric shop or craft store. They are available in liquid or powder form. For this first attemp, I grabbed some powder:

Looking on line, I found lots of ways, all contradictory to each other, on the best way to use these dyes. So this is probably going to be somewhat of a trial and error process to see what I can come up with.

Eric, over at FTWPC, was kind enough to send me some of the old FTW sleeving (this was not the new 2.0 sleeving) when I told him about what I was trying to do. I had originally inquired if he could get the sleeving in a clear plastic, without dye, so that builders could dye it themselves. He said it might be possible, but that he was worried about minimum orders in doing such, without knowing what kind of demand there would be for it. I decided to test the "dye" attempt on the white FTW sleeving.

My first attempt was to boil some water on the stove, mix in the dye, and then put the sleeving in the pot:

Since this was just a test to see if I could dye the sleeving, I didn't really measure any of the dye powder, but I roughly followed the online receipe for a 'warm red #143'. You can try and match your particular color scheme using the Rit color picker at the Rit dye website. I threw in a box of tangerine, box of scarlet, and a touch of cocoa brown. I brought the mixture to a simmer, and then put in the sleeve for ten minutes, and let it just sit in the pot. After ten minutes, I rinsed it in cold water. Results below:

It definitely dyed the cord. It's definitely not the color I was after, but it created a pretty burnt orange. Closer to the University of Texas, than to the University of Oklahoma color I was after. But...that just means I need to work on the "recipe" for the powder mix. I was thoroughly elated that the cord came out so well. Because it was in dye, there were not spots that were over or under colored. Everything looked very uniform, and not like it had been modded after purchase. Very nice.

One thing that did happen on this first try was that the sleeve ends frayed very badly in the simmering water. In all future attempts, I used a lighter on the ends before putting the cord in the water, and I did not experience the frayed ends on any subsequent attempts. The frayed ends actually gave me a chance to see how well the dye was covering the braided FTW sleeve. You can see in the picture below that it covers every portion of every little cord in the braided sleeve. Excellent coverage.

For my next two attempts, I decided to leave the sleeve in longer. The picture below has my original 10 minute attempt on the left. The sleeve in the middle was put into the same dye pot, but was left for 20 minutes instead of 10 minutes. The sleeve on the right hand side of the picture was left in the pot for 30 minutes. Interestingly, they all came out EXACTLY the same. The light in the picture may not show it, but they all look exactly the same. I think it shows that the sleeve has absorbed all of the dye its going to absorb within 10 minutes. Longer times in the pot did not impact the color.

...and a close up....

After this, I started a new pot of dye, and threw in a box of wine color, and the rest of the cocoa brown. This was less dye than I had in the first pot, so my expectations were that the color would be a little less vivid, in addition to being more purple. The picture below shows the original undyed sleeve on the left, the burnt orange color in the middle, and the second color attempt on the right:

Probably needed more dye to make this one look better. Although the shade of color is getting closer to what I'm after.

Closing Thoughts and Next Steps
As mentioned, all of these tests were done with FTW sleeve 1.0. I would expect the results to be similar with 2.0, as Eric at FTW had indicated that they are made of the same material. Different plastics will accept dye differently. And there are methods available to make them accept dye better (adding acetone, etc.). I'm going to experiment with some different methods to see what makes the FTW sleeve accept dye the best, and I'll post some udpates. I also have some MDCP sleeve that should be here later this week, and I plan on duplicating the dye attempt with that sleeving also to see if it reacts any differently. I will post results and pictures once done.

Also, since I will have multiple colors of paracord, FTW 2.0, and MDCP on hand, I'm going to work on getting some good lighting and doing a review that compares these 3 different types of sleeves. I need to pick which to use in my upcoming build, and since I'm getting samples of lots of colors so that I can see in person what they look like, I will post my thoughts and pics in case that helps anyone else about to make the same decision.

Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathik7 go_quote.gif

if it annoys you so much please refrain from seeing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis24 go_quote.gif

Ok so here is my report....IT AIN"T HAPPENING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 6)
This is a very cohesive display of dying so I'm subbed to see how the dyes play out in more sleeving thumb.gif

CHECK OUT MY BUILD LOG
Snorkle.gifIt's going underwaterSnorkle.gif
post #3 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 158)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinJoker View Post

This is a very cohesive display of dying so I'm subbed to see how the dyes play out in more sleeving thumb.gif

Thanks Joker. I'll keep posting pictures as I do it, but my plan is also to do a brief YouTube video showing the process once I think I have it right. Will post link in this thread.

Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathik7 go_quote.gif

if it annoys you so much please refrain from seeing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis24 go_quote.gif

Ok so here is my report....IT AIN"T HAPPENING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 508 (Unique: 369)
Great work so far! Keep me update on the progress. If this process can be refined and perfected, it could be possible to offer fully custom sleeving colors at a reasonable price.

Eric - FTW PC Rep
[eric [at] ftwpc.com]
Store | Forum | Facebook | Twitter | Reseller Ratings

"Like" us on Facebook for a chance to win newly released products
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgWhiteGuy go_quote.gif
Z is a pawn to the power that was Mort. He moderates like a boss.

post #5 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 528 (Unique: 406)
Thats awesome bud! Looks like it takes the dye well. Make sure to measure and post your mixtures for others to use as well as your own records. thumb.gif

.-[Owner - Lutro0 Customs]-.
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner
[Project Log]:[ Elektron Mod

post #6 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 163 (Unique: 133)
Nice stuff, wanna see more results with different colors!!!

post #7 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Boomer Sooner all the way. Can't wait to see this build.
post #8 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 188 (Unique: 146)
good job! looks great. good luck getting your color!

Ryzen & Vega Enthoo Evolv ATX TG Case Mod Build Log
Audio (Click to show)
Sources: The Spectre | Lenovus Maximus | Huawei Honor 8
DAC's: HiFimeDIY Sabre SPDIF | iBasso D-Zero
Amplification:ASL MG-Head OTL Mark III
Headphones: Sennheiser HD650 | Shure SE215K | Logitech UE6000
Speakers
Home Theater/Lenovus Maximus: Pioneer Elite SC-85 > Music Angel SDXE M9 > Klipsch KG5.2 w/Crites tweeters/crossovers
The Spectre: Adam Ax7
Build Logs (Click to show)Overclocking Accolades (Click to show)

post #9 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 44)
Excited to see more results!

post #10 of 150 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 121 (Unique: 102)
I hope to see this work out. I've had good luck with adding vinegar to the mix after the plastic has been in for a few minutes for other things. Subbed for sure.

headscratch.gif Do us all a favor. Do not confuse your opinion with facts.proof.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in