[Build Log] Fractal Designs Arc Mini Water Cooling Rig - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Fractal Designs Arc Mini Water Cooling Rig

post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 84 (Unique: 77)
Awesome, thanks for the in-depth response!

How much would it cost to go about getting a water temp sensor, and an appropriate thermometer for it? I have a multimeter with a thermocouple, could I just throw that in the fillport in the reservoir to get a fairly good idea of its cooling efficiency?
UPDATE: I just stuck the thermocouple in my reservoir while both the GPU and CPU were under load, and it was reading 108F/43C. Again, the ambient temperature is 92F/34C, so is that an appropriate water temp? By the way, this measurement is taken right after the water exits the CPU and GPU, right before it goes to the radiators.

I'll try turning the fans around for the 240 rad and see if I notice any improvements. Could it be the fans themselves that don't have the static pressure to get much air through? From what I could tell though, they seemed pretty adequate in their air-handling ability. When I install the water filter, I'm gonna try diluting the coolant that is currently in there even more by just adding distilled water, and then leave that mix in when the filter is removed, to have the distilled water take an even greater presence in the coolant.

When I take the block off this week, I'll be sure to take pictures of the footprint of the thermal paste.

Thanks! can't wait to see if this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 124 (Unique: 99)
Rads often have all sorts of flakes inside them, that's why people flush them with vinegar and warm water before building the loop.
As for the mounting of the cpu block, you should tighten the screws little by little in a criss-cross pattern (=opposite corners) to ensure an even pressure. I don't think the tim is a problem, in the end there's not much difference on what tim you're using, it's more on how you're using it. Too much or too little tim will also hurt your temps.
As utnorris said, it's looking good. Just need a bit adjusting smile.gif
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 01:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 6)
I'm repping everyone that has given information on the watercooling as it is very helpful as i plan on doing watercooling in my computer!!! THANKS A TON EVERYONE! build log is in sig if you are curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutro0 go_quote.gif

Where is the sleeving.... -sniffle-
Profession: (Click to show)
Mechanical Engineer at ixmation North AmericaSince the age of: (Click to show)
SEVENTEEN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 174 (Unique: 160)
Assuming the air going through the rads is at 34c and as you said the water temp is 43c, that's a 9c delta which is good. So that leaves the mounting pressure or it's clogged again. I cannot emphasize enough that I would pull it apart and flush the system if the cpu block is clogged again. As far as the temp sensor goes, IIRC the Gene has temp sensors on board, so getting a BP temp sensor and connecting to the MB will allow you to monitor water temps. You could also put a temp on the rads to see the air temp going across them. This would let you know if you are within 10 degrees between air and water temps which is good. Depending on the load, i.e. extreme would be Prime95 versus normal like gaming, I would expect 65-80c range for an extreme load or 50-60c under gaming with the water temps you posted. Again, keep tweaking and you will figure it out.

post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Okay, so I've been working today on separating the loop and filtering each individual part. Firstly though, I had to drain it.

Draining
Catching initial drops:
I found out it was easier with a tube though, no holding a funnel under the fillport:

Filtration System
I ended up going to the store and buying a filter, but the threads didn't match the barbs I already had, so I made an adapter and put it together!

Reconfiguring:
Here is the filter in the system, inserted right after the radiators and before the water blocks.

Second Disassembly

RESULTS!

I have found some potential results! It appears that the mounting of the water block was absolutely horrible, and was probably due to the fact that 3 of the 4 screws protruded, as you will now see.
You can see in this picure the screws I used, as well as the outline of where the processor's edges end.

Inside of the block, with some accumulation of debris, but in all honesty, a huge amount less than I saw before. I guess the flushing and filtering is actually working!

Component by component filtering
Here is the setup that I'll be using to filter each component, which will hopefully get even more crap out. I won't be filtering the GPU, because my Nvidia GTX 680 and EK waterblock will be here by the end of this week, and I'll flush those when I get them (I'm learning my lesson this time! thumb.gif).
the 240mm rad is the first thing I'm flushing.

That's about it for this update! If you have any questions, go ahead and ask!

post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Okay guys, I have been busy with a bunch of stuff on this rig, and I promise, it will be worth the wait. I'm almost finished with the current mods, and some more parts should be here within a few days. I'll have to do a little teardown and reconfiguration to fit them in, but it should make the whole thing work a little better overall! I also am gonna be spending a little more time on overclocking everything, and seeing what types of clocks I can get.

My goals:
5.0GHz on the 2600k
2133MHz on the RAM
Something above stock on the 680, I still don't fully understand the whole dynamic clocking stuff yet

LEFT TO BUY

I'm considering putting in new fans. From what I can tell, these Enermax Magma fans really aren't pushing a whole lot of air through the radiators, so I'd really like to get new fans. My first consideration is to get the Gentle Typhoon AP-15 or AP-14 series, but I don't know which to get, yet. Also, I'm not entirely convinced paying 18 dollars a fan is really justified, but I don't know what QUIET, good, budget fans are out there. Any ideas?

That's about it though. I could use another 90 degree fitting, and I have a Wanted thread posted, but nobody is answering it mad.gif

That's about it for now! Any questions (or any sign of life at all) and I'm ready to respond.

post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 6)
i would say to use these... but i'm not sure on the price

http://coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2916&product_name=R4-C2R-20AC-GP

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103061

not too shabby for the price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutro0 go_quote.gif

Where is the sleeving.... -sniffle-
Profession: (Click to show)
Mechanical Engineer at ixmation North AmericaSince the age of: (Click to show)
SEVENTEEN!
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I looked at them (and have had them in the past) and I remember them being quite loud. Also, after looking at Martin's fan roundup chart, the R4 moves 5CFM of air more than the Magmas, but retains the high noise level, at ~52dB. after seeing the AP-15 push the same amount of air while being over 7dB quieter, that's a pretty good argument in favor of the AP-15s. From what I can gather, that would be almost HALF as loud as the current set of fans while pushing more air through, which would be absolutely breathtaking.

post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

PAINTING UPDATE!!!

I finally got around to painting the mesh panels on the front and top of the case. Here are a few pictures from the process. Also, you will probably see that there is now an EVGA GTX680 with backplate in there in place of that measly 8800GTX. Good stuff!!!

The paint I used:

After the primer coat:

Three coats of the Enamel paint and two coats of Primer, and we're done!:

I only let it dry for about 16 hours as opposed to the 24 for full drying, and it seems like some of the paint came off while installing it back in the plastic bezels. Nothing too bad though, considering it's out of sight:

Top panel installed:

a view of the front panel:

Whole thing is assembled!!! behold:
GTX 680!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, it's almost done. After some new fittings, possibly a change in fans, and if I can find it, a 60mm thick radiator for the front, my Big Mini will be complete!

post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 24)
Very clean, very sharp. I like the white grills.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in