Frequently Asked Sleeving Questions - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Frequently Asked Sleeving Questions

post #31 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 157 (Unique: 115)
Lutro, how much heatshrink do I need for the AX1200, in pieces?

Upgrades which are in consideration: U2713HM | Samsung 830 256GB | Keycaps | Sleeving | AX1200i
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay go_quote.gif

The blue LEDs make it run cooler.
You should also get some Apple stickers so it won't get viruses, an Alienware logo so it can play games amazingly and some Razer gear so everyone knows you are totally 1337.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiches View Post

I got a molex kit (Sunbeam) with the most ultimate garbage extractor tool, and I'm seeing now that a decent one just costs too much for me to use one time. frown.gif
Oh well. I still have an awesome color idea that I want for some extentions. Can I PM Lutro for a custom order?

I still have a kit similar to the one you have that I purchase years ago. Extracting the mini fit connectors was always difficult, nearly impossible. I finally broke down and purchased the Molex pin remover. The difference that tool makes is almost hard to believe.

It's a bit expensive to those on a budget. Or I should say, it may seem a bit expensive to those on a budget, but it's worth every penny if you plan on doing some serious sleeving. It's worth the price of admission just for the 24pin connector(s) alone.

post #33 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Boo Hiss metadtaclock.net

Rep: 237 (Unique: 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Twice the number of pins, + ~20-30% extra.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 157 (Unique: 115)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

Twice the number of pins, + ~20-30% extra.

I dunno how many pins in an AX1200 sata power cable though. The cable is basically a molex to sata power, and I dunno how many pins in a sata power cable.

Upgrades which are in consideration: U2713HM | Samsung 830 256GB | Keycaps | Sleeving | AX1200i
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay go_quote.gif

The blue LEDs make it run cooler.
You should also get some Apple stickers so it won't get viruses, an Alienware logo so it can play games amazingly and some Razer gear so everyone knows you are totally 1337.

post #35 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi, Thanks for all of your answers for sleeving, it helped a lot smile.gif can I ask you what type or name of wire is used in pc power supplies ?? are 24 pin and 4 pin molex have same type of wire inside it??
Thanks biggrin.gif
post #36 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 302 (Unique: 237)
Molex and other part numbers listed below and I can't claim credit for the majority of these as someone else did the work and I can't find the link to it now. Lutro0 also helped me track some down.

Black 24 Pin Housing Female - 50-36-1667
Black 8 Pin CPU Housing - 50-36-1713
Black 6 Pin VGA Housing - 45559-0002
Black 8 Pin VGA Housing - This is a non-standard part and not made by Molex

Molex ATX Female Pins - 39-00-0038
Molex ATX Male Pins - 39-00-0040
Molex Fan Pins - 08-50-0114 (I'm not 100% sure about these but they are on my next order so will confirm later)

Molex Crimp Tool - 63811-1000 (please don't buy this as the MDPC-X Tool is far cheaper and works extremely well)

Harwin M20-1180042 - Motherboard pins, for connecting power/reset/speaker/ cables to the motherboard. Also used for motherboard USB and Firewire connectors.

Molex no longer make the pins for the Molex type 4 pin connector. The best male and female ones I have used and particularly for crimping double wires are those branded by ModSmart. Although I don't have a part number for them the female pins are stamped 'HWT' on the rear wings and the males pins 'HST'
post #37 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 528 (Unique: 406)
Quote:

Look up the power supply pin out and count up the number of ends of the wires (2 per wire is what it will be) and then if its your first time double that, other wise 20% - 30% extra.
Quote:

I dunno how many pins in an AX1200 sata power cable though. The cable is basically a molex to sata power, and I dunno how many pins in a sata power cable.

The pinout will help you, but a sata power cable typically has 5 wires. but you need to count each plug as you will heatshrink each ends in between the plugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaimah View Post

Hi, Thanks for all of your answers for sleeving, it helped a lot smile.gif can I ask you what type or name of wire is used in pc power supplies ?? are 24 pin and 4 pin molex have same type of wire inside it??
Thanks biggrin.gif

18AWG is what you should use for sleeving. However some psu makers do use 16AWG wire but it makes it super hard to sleeve if not impossible for some sleeves.

.-[Owner - Lutro0 Customs]-.
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner
[Project Log]:[ Elektron Mod

post #38 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 66)
On a scale of 1 - 10, how easy is a Corsair AX850 to sleeve compared to comparable power supplies?

"Not Quite White" - Check out my build log!
OCN Water-Cooling Tubing Database - Please Contribute!
post #39 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 20)
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the AX series has a few pins that are doubled down, meaning two wires lead into one pin. This can make it more difficult to sleeve, but not impossible.
post #40 of 1129 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 69 (Unique: 54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elf View Post
Molex and other part numbers listed below and I can't claim credit for the majority of these as someone else did the work and I can't find the link to it now. Lutro0 also helped me track some down.
Black 24 Pin Housing Female - 50-36-1667
Black 8 Pin CPU Housing - 50-36-1713
Black 6 Pin VGA Housing - 45559-0002
Black 8 Pin VGA Housing - This is a non-standard part and not made by Molex
Molex ATX Female Pins - 39-00-0038
Molex ATX Male Pins - 39-00-0040
Molex Fan Pins - 08-50-0114 (I'm not 100% sure about these but they are on my next order so will confirm later)
Molex Crimp Tool - 63811-1000 (please don't buy this as the MDPC-X Tool is far cheaper and works extremely well)
Harwin M20-1180042 - Motherboard pins, for connecting power/reset/speaker/ cables to the motherboard. Also used for motherboard USB and Firewire connectors.
Molex no longer make the pins for the Molex type 4 pin connector. The best male and female ones I have used and particularly for crimping double wires are those branded by ModSmart. Although I don't have a part number for them the female pins are stamped 'HWT' on the rear wings and the males pins 'HST'

Does the 24pin female housing connect to itself if you have the male and female pins, or do you need a male connector with male pins?

The fans pins are 08-50-0114 (bag) or 08-50-0113(reel). I know for sure that FTWPC has 08-50-0113 since they asked for it on their FB wall, and it's the cheaper of the two.

The Molex crimp tool is not more expensive than the MDPC tool. In fact, it's much cheaper if you buy it from Newark ($38), or get it used (saw it used like new $30). And based off the one guide where it was used, it looks like it has acceptable, and/or preferred Molex crimps according to their Quality Crimp Handbook. As of now, I'm set on getting the Molex crimper unless I can find a good and cheap ratcheting tool. The MDPC crimper is $70-$75 for me, assuming I have to pay Level 3 shipping which Is what heard is needed for the tool. So it's $20-$40 cheaper for the Molex tool, and I get a better crimp (according to Molex).

Do you have the connector for that?

Which connector are your referring to? A pic would help.

Here is the Sata power connector (not inline): 67582-0000

And Pins: 67581-0000 (Type 1) or 67581-0010 (Type 2)

I don't see the difference between type 1 and 2, but type 1 is hard to find.

Part numbers from here: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#sata

Does anyone think the other Molex extraction tools are worth it? They include the 4pin periphal, and 3/4pin fan. The best explaination of how they work would be in the data sheet. The 4pin may be a bit confusing, but I seems like it has a spring loaded mechanism that ejects the pin from the connector once pushed all the way down.

I've got a pretty big list of connectors, pins, and tools, but some of them would need to be checked out and confirmed. Only a few of the things I actually found, and I don't have the links to where i found alot them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in