[Build Log] - The Big Budget Boomer Box (aka, the "BBBB") - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] - The Big Budget Boomer Box (aka, the "BBBB")

post #1 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 158)
Project Name: Big Budget Boomer Box

Project Name Reasoning:
Because I’m a touch lazy, I absolutely refuse to type out “Big Budget Boomer Box” very often. So, henceforth, whenever you see “BBBB”, you’ll smile and remember how many keystrokes I saved. How about I explain the name first. “Big Budget”....is self explanatory, ...but here’s how I ended up there. Contractual issue with my previous employer left me with enough funds to take some time off work and still have some fun money. I’m not working at all this summer, so I’ve got plenty of time. I’m at the perfect point in my life right now to put together my dream build. So...I’m going to throw some money at it and not waste this opportunity. This will be fun. “Boomer”...is a reference to my alma mater, the University of Oklahoma. I’m Sooner born and Sooner bred, and when I die I’m Sooner dead! Rah Oklahoma! The OU color is crimson, and you’ll see that color theme throughout the build.

Goals for Build:
This machine will be used primarily for surfing OCN. Er....ah....maybe some photo/video editing also, as well as storage of all my photo/video footage. Gaming? Yeah, maybe a little...but that’s not my primary thing. Quiet. It needs to be quiet, because it's a 24/7 computer. But...I do plan on a fairly heavy overclock, so the cooling has to be first rate. I don’t like fan noise, so all fans will be on a controller and spinning at very low RPM for everyday use. Since this negatively impacts radiator performance, my initial plan is to offset this by adding more radiators! The CaseLabs TH10 case I’ve selected will definitely hold plenty, so I’m planning on between 4 and 6 large radiators, with about 40 fans spinning at very low RPM. Initial plans also include large raid array with SSD’s, which will be the priciest part of the build. I’m also going to try some interesting things with this build (acrylic, copper accents, custom dyeing, LED lighting, etc.), so my hope is you will be entertained.

Updates:
There is nothing worse than a dead and unfinished build thread. We’ve all felt the abandonment and depression this causes at some point in our OCN lives. So first and foremost, I promise to finish. I also promise frequent updates, with lots of pictures. Lets be honest with each other....I’m already starting to bore you with all of this typing....right? Pictures are what makes us love the build threads, and I promise lots of them. Plus...I’ve got a nice camera, so there won’t be any blurry phone pics. So click “subscribe” now. Go on. Do it before you forget. Yes...now. This opening post will be edited as the build progresses with an Index and links to any significant progress updates. I’ll also update the Hardware Status parts list shown below, as I order and acquire the parts, and/or change my mind on what to get.

Build Log Index with Links:

Aug 2012 Edit: For those of you joining this thread late in the game....its grown pretty lengthy. I've tried hard to keep the index below updated with any of the significant picture updates, in case you want to just hit the highlights. But...you'll be missing out on all the witty OCN banter if you only look at the pictures!

Hardware List and Status:
Here is the legend. Green means I’ve already got it. Orange means its been ordered (yellow text isn’t real legible). Red means I’m still deciding/researching the item, or waiting because I don’t yet need the part. I’ll update this Hardware Status in the OP as things change:

Case
  • CaseLabs TH10 with Pedestal and extended tops

Main Guts

• CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X
  • Motherboard: Asrock Extreme 11
  • GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 690’s
  • Memory: 64 gb, Corsair Dominator GT 1866
  • PSU: 2x Corsair AX850. Probably could get by on one big PSU, but this setup will allow me some additional overhead, and as an added benefit, it should keep the PSU fans spinning at a minimum

Storage

• Raid Controller: ARECA ARC 1882IX16 PCI-e 3.0.
  • OS Drive: 2x 256 gb SSD Vertex 4 in Raid 0
  • Raid 5 Array (for storage): 10x 512 gb SSD Vertex 4
  • Raid 0 Array (scratch drives, render drive): 4x 256 gb SSD Vertex 4 Series

Cooling

• Radiators: 4x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1 480 Radiators
  • Radiators: 1x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1 280 Radiators
  • More Radiators: 2x AquaComputer AMS 360 Copper Fins
  • Pumps: 4x D5 variant (Swiftech MCP655’s)
  • Pump Top: Bitspower Dual D5 Pumptop
  • Pump Top: 2x Bitspower Pumptop V2
  • Pump Decoration: 4x Bitspower D5 Modkit
  • Reservoir: Some Custom Work from FrozenQ
  • Radiator Fans: 47x Noiseblocker M12-S2's
  • Case Fans: 4x Noiseblocker 40mm Black Silent
  • Case Fans: 4x Noiseblocker 140mm Black Silent
  • CPU Waterblock: Mips Iceforce Custom Copper Plated
  • GPU Waterblocks: 2x AquaCompuer Aquagrafx 690's
  • Motherboard Waterblocks: Both the Mips AE11 block and the Nateman_doo custom AE11 block. Will test both and winner stays!
  • RAM Waterblocks: 2x Mips 4 Dimm Block
  • TIM: Indigo Extreme. Kind of scared to try the “reflow”, but it will be an adventure
  • Tubing: I'll be using a combination of white, clear and custom dyed crimson.
  • Fittings: Bitspower White!

Monitoring and Control

• AquaComputer Aquaero 5 XT
  • AquaComputer Aquaero 5 LT
  • 12x AquaComputer Power Adjust USB Ultra
  • 3x AquaComputer Flow Sensor Block
  • Lamptron FC8 for Case Lighting
  • 6x Water Temperature Sensors: AquaComputer
  • 5x Air Temperature Sensors: AquaComputer

Misc

• Monitor: Dell 27 inch IPS
  • Soundcard: TBD
  • Sleeving: MDPC-X; white, and a custom dyed crimson
  • Speakers: Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II 32 watts RMS 2.0 Speakers
  • Blu-Ray/DVD Reader/Writer: LiteOn 12x
  • GPU Backplates: TBD - Exploring some custom options

Inspiration and Resources

• The entire OCN community. Seriously.
  • Martin’s Liquid Labs -- I’ve read every review he has done over the past several years. Truly some great information and a valuable resource.
  • Skinnee Labs -- More great testing and reviews.
  • OCN Member P3nnywise: "Red and Black" Build Log -- This one was awesome!
  • OCN Member theseekeroffun: “Complete Madness” Build Log - Finish it Rocky!
  • CaseLabs Cases

Hope that adequately describes what I have in store for this summer. I've lurked in OCN for years, but joined earlier this year because of my plan for this summer build. This is going to be awesome, I promise! Subscribe now and join me for a fun summer build log!

Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathik7 go_quote.gif

if it annoys you so much please refrain from seeing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis24 go_quote.gif

Ok so here is my report....IT AIN"T HAPPENING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

CaseLabs has arrived! About 2 hours after I started this thread, the doorbell rings, and the FedEx guy is standing there staring menacingly at me. Beside him is an extremely large box, and he says to me, "what the hell did you have delivered?" I smile, sign his little pad, and send him on his way. I knew it would arrive at some point today, but this is early enough where I'll be able to play with it a little bit! Here are a couple of the obligatory box photos:

And here are the boxes beside a chair to give you some perspective on how big these boxes are:

Now lets open the box a little bit.....

Wait...what is that...what is that color?.....is that red? is that purple? or is that.....

CRIMSON! Or to be more precise....the University of Oklahoma crimson. Go Sooners! Rah Oklahoma! Now lets get this thing out in the sun for some photos to show off the custom color powder coat finish!

Based on all of the existing CaseLabs build threads, I was expecting fantastic packaging, and I was not disappointed. And the case is nothing short of amazing. Even the tiniest little details, like countersunk screws to assemble the pedestal, make the box reek of quality. I'll pull the case upstairs for some studio lighitng pictures tonight, and I'll show off more of the accessories that I got. But I wanted to get some pics quickly while the sun was out because it is beautiful here today. Heading to the pool for an hour, and then a quick workout, before I do some more unboxing and pictures tonight.

I've updated the thread index in the OP and the hardware status.

Quote:

Quote:

post #3 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Get a 3930k over the 3960x. Save some money thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
This is an extreme build, deserving the horribly priced 3960X! But yeah, I would go for a 3930K and get moar SSD's instead, but its your call. This is going to be one epic build, I love watching these get built.

post #5 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 157 (Unique: 115)
Subbed.

Upgrades which are in consideration: U2713HM | Samsung 830 256GB | Keycaps | Sleeving | AX1200i
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay go_quote.gif

The blue LEDs make it run cooler.
You should also get some Apple stickers so it won't get viruses, an Alienware logo so it can play games amazingly and some Razer gear so everyone knows you are totally 1337.

post #6 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 04:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 258 (Unique: 208)
subbed +1 on 3930K over 3960X, however I'm glad you're hoping for something better to come out first (so am I - real unlocked 8 core anyone?)

Also 4x680's for someone who doesn't really game? 2 should be enough to max out a U2711. If you're going all out though consider going with 3 of the korean 2560x1440 IPS monitors that can push 120Hz (120hz.net), then at least 4 680's are justified wink.gif

Nice choice on the areca card

if you're going all out then get some nicer memory - corsair are going to be releasing that dominator platinum which will have some serious epeen.

PSU- check out johnnyguru's review of the lepa 1600W gold. Should take care of your PSU needs without the mess and fuss of two.

Trouble-Maker

I write water cooling and case reviews but you'll have to use google because I can't link them here thumb.gif

post #7 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 127 (Unique: 114)
I'm not sure I'm confortable calling that a computer case... it's completely empty, unlit, non-populated, and it already looks like a work of art.
post #8 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanak21 View Post

Get a 3930k over the 3960x. Save some money thumb.gif

Thanks for the thoughts nathanak21. If the next intel unlocked processor has not come out within the next few weeks (my timeframe for buying), then I might very well drop down to the 3930k. I've read a lot of really good things about its OC potential, and plus, I probably won't be able to resist getting the newer CPU once its released. So, not really "saving" money.....but wasting less. Almost the same thing. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by succesfulvoid View Post

This is an extreme build, deserving the horribly priced 3960X! But yeah, I would go for a 3930K and get moar SSD's instead, but its your call. This is going to be one epic build, I love watching these get built.

Thanks succesfulvoid! More SSD's would always be good. I've enjoyed watching a ton of the CaseLabs build logs, so I'll try and do it justice and entertain you along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Subbed.

Thanks 3930K! No question where you stand on the CPU issue, as I gather from your screen name. thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by stren View Post

subbed +1 on 3930K over 3960X, however I'm glad you're hoping for something better to come out first (so am I - real unlocked 8 core anyone?)
Also 4x680's for someone who doesn't really game? 2 should be enough to max out a U2711. If you're going all out though consider going with 3 of the korean 2560x1440 IPS monitors that can push 120Hz (120hz.net), then at least 4 680's are justified wink.gif
Nice choice on the areca card
if you're going all out then get some nicer memory - corsair are going to be releasing that dominator platinum which will have some serious epeen.
PSU- check out johnnyguru's review of the lepa 1600W gold. Should take care of your PSU needs without the mess and fuss of two.

Thanks stren! Have enjoyed watching you proselytize the virtues of CaseLabs cases here on OCN. You're probably one of the reasons I ended with this case. You carry the banner well. And as I've dug into it more tonight, I continue to be amazed at the quality and wonderful thoughtful touches that have gone into designing this case. It is far and away better than any case I've owned or seen.

If I could get an 8 core to OC, I wouldn't feel quite as inferior to all you SR-X builders. tongue.gif I agree that 4 GPU's is a little overkill, but with all the PCI lanes on the Asrock Extreme 11, I can run them all at 16x on PCIe 3.0! That should provide benchmarks like we've never seen before. With the Asrock board, the 3rd and 4th cards don't cause you to drop down from 16x to 8x. All four cards at 16x. I've simply got to take advantage of that....even if I don't game much. Would feel like I was wasting the motherboard if I did anything less. Plus...when I say I don't game much, I mean on the computer. I've logged some hours on my Xbox360. Will be neat to compare the two on the same game. I have considered moving to a 3 monitor setup. Will check out the monitors you mentioned.

I've read good things about the Samsung memory, but I'll definitely check out the Dominator Platinum. Appreciate the heads-up. I've already got the two PSU's, so I'll probably stick with that initially. The Corsair PSU fans simply don't spin at all until they get quite a bit of load. By splitting the load between 2 units, I hope to be able to keep the fans from spinning under all normal conditions. Only have the fans kick on under super heavy loads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocutor View Post

I'm not sure I'm confortable calling that a computer case... it's completely empty, unlit, non-populated, and it already looks like a work of art.

Thank you Electrocutor. I was expecting something amazing, and CaseLabs didn't disappoint. It is a fantastic case.

For everyone....I welcome a review/critique of the selected components in the opening post. The funnest part of a build is picking out the stuff, and I welcome the combined accumulated knowledge of the OCN community.

Quote:

Quote:

post #9 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 21)
subbed. I see a lot of WC goodness in your list. I smell an awesome build here
post #10 of 4003 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quad SLI, watercooling and dual PSU's?? subbed.

Only *nix boots here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in