new case/shelf build question - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

new case/shelf build question

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 126 (Unique: 116)
motherboard standoffs! im making a shelf/case and will be using a 3/4" thick piece of russian birch plywood and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to use for standoffs?
idea-
I was thinking about drilling holes through where the standoffs should be and putting a long bolt through the board, putting a nut or two on the end (depending on thickness) and then putting the motherboard on these bolts and putting a washer on the end to keep the motherboard on it
OR
maybe drop some blind nuts the same size thread size as a motherboard standoff and then just use actual standoffs? or a standoff that is designed to screw into wood

For this case/shelf I really need the motherboard to be secured to the tray because the tray will be moved to a vertical position occasionally. any ideas welcome:)thumb.gif

Funniez (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman5 go_quote.gif
4870 for PC, $130. 4870 for Mac, $400. Knowing that you are not a hip douchebag, Priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCanadian go_quote.gif
I'm tellin you, they just don't make math like they used to anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

and you call yourselves modders poke.gif..... wheres CD? im sure he could advise me well lol

Quote:
4870 for PC, $130. 4870 for Mac, $400. Knowing that you are not a hip douchebag, Priceless.
Quote:
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 10:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 45)
You can use normal standoffs if you sink a nut into the wood and hold it into place with Epoxy.

Or use a few 1 1/4 inch long 6-32 threaded screws, It would stick thro the wood about 3/8ths of an inch. Put 2 nuts and a small Teflon or rubber washer on that then set the motherboard in place and use a Acorn nut or normal nut to hold it on there.

You might even get away with a 1 1/8th screw.

I would still hold the screws in place with something.

Or use a 6-32 x 1" Hanger Bolt. This is the one my search found. I know they have them at Home Depot and Lowes as well.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/fasteners/bolts/hanger/6-32-x-1-hanger-bolts-20-pcs-box/p-1793042.htm

Just drill your holes a slight bit smaller then your wood threads and then put 2 nuts together on the hanger bolt and use that to thread it in.

You use 2 wrenches to tighten the nuts against themselves so it acts like the head of a small bolt.

Hope that helps, Alder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

between using a hanger bolt or putting a screw through the board... decisions decisions, maybe I will try one of each on a test board and see which is easier/more secure/looks nicer

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in