NZXT Phantom 820 * Stretched Limo Edition * [ build log ] - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

NZXT Phantom 820 * Stretched Limo Edition * [ build log ]

post #1 of 990 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Old, Senile, and Happy

Rep: 678 (Unique: 347)
Welcome to my

Phantom 820 * Stretched Limo Edition * build log

The new Phantom 820 has been released, and that means it's time for this girl to get her butt in gear and create something to push the envelope.

By way of preface;

My first Phantom build was some two years back, in a shiny new, just released, bright red phantom.

The bold styling and bright color really resonated with me, and I have since built several more, including two more phantoms and a phantom 410 for my personal builds.

Then the switch 810 came out, bigger, and with a lot more support for water cooling and multiple GPU setups.

I got one as soon as I could get one shipped down here, and it was a true dream to bring imagination into reality in. . . . . No budget and no time limit, just followed where it took me

It's been my most epic build to date.

Now the 820 is here, and that great team at NZXT is working to get a pair of white ones and some 810 style side panels shipped to me.

I was really trying to control my excitement and not start the build log untill they were here on the workbench, but enthusiasm seems to have hijacked my self control, and my overkill gene seems to have bogarted a massive dose of steroids from somewhere.

A look at my vision;

One of the things that I most liked about the original phantom styling, was the longer than high aspect ratio. It was lost in both the P410, and the switch 810. I liked the way it looked a little like a locomotive and I want to capture that back in this 820's build.

One of the compelling features of the S810 was its support for 420 rads up top, and 240 or 280 rads down below.

The P820, while larger than the S810, still trades 420 rad support for the top mounted USB and fan controller modules.

With most higher end motherboards featuring tri or quad GPU capability, and the new crop of 2560X1440 monitors that can really use that kind of GPU power for Eyefinity or Surround, rad capacity means more and more with each generation of case design for maximum effort sytems. The P820, seems from my perspective, to be a step back in that regard. I would have loved to see it be a bit longer to keep the 420 support, and maybe then a 360 on the bottom.

But all the wishing in the world won't make it anything more than it is already, so I'll have to do more than just wish . . . . .

I'm going to take sections from one P820, and graft them to another P820 to extend it, just like a stretched limo.

I'm not sure just how much stretch will work out well in relatively practical terms, but I'm shooting for room for a 560 up top, and that would easily then allow a 420 on the bottom, with room for the biggest of PSU's.

For now, all I can do is wait on the new P820's to get here.

2 are now here, and waiting on the third for this build.

Stay tuned for the adventure,

Darlene

Edit to add:

With 820's in hand, and now mostly disassembled, having had the opportunity to study the top layout in more detail, it really looks like the stretch is going to allow for sections of 3 cases to graft together allowing 840 mm rads in the top and bottom.

As you follow along in the log here, you'll see that concept developed in more detail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 990 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Old, Senile, and Happy

My thanks go to Socketus for compiling this picture listing, you rock dude thumb.gifthumb.gif

It's as good an index as I could have done, better actually, as it comes from the perspective of someone wanting to glean information, as opposed to me trying to guess what's important to others.

FIRST PAIR OF 820s ARRIVE

CUSTOM 810 DOOR on 820 - 810 HD CAGE in 820

820s NEW and OLD HD CAGES COMPARE

HD BASE BRACKET - OLD vs NEW

PSU MODS

FINISHING AND TEST-FITTING THE MODDED PSU

HD CAGE SLIDERS

CABLE MGMT FACTORY GOOF

TOP TEARDOWN - HD CAGE ANALYSIS

TEARDOWN AND ANALYSIS OF THE BASE

FRONT PANEL AND PSU ANALYSIS

THE RAD TO BE USED AND PLAN

MODDING THE FRONT PANEL FOR PSU AND FANS

MODDING THE OPTICAL DRIVES CAGE

RE-CHECKING THE FRONT PANEL FILLER PLATE

CUTTING TOP & BOTTOM PANELS TO FIT 280 RAD LENGTH

A LOOK AT THE 560 SIZE CASE

THE MINI ITX PHANTOM 8.20

THE RADS

RADS IN CASE

MORE RADS IN CASE

3RD CASE ARRIVES

RADS IN ANALYSIS

RADS IN CASE WITH PSU

LOWER CHASSIS PANEL WITH RADS

THE WHITE CASE - TOP PANELS WITH RADS - CASE TOPS LINED UP

NEW PCBS FOR PWM & TACH SIGNAL CONTROLLERS

MOAR RADS AND FANS COME IN

MONITORING MODULES & FRONT PANEL

MINI LOOP TESTING WITH ACRYLIC TUBING SECTION

PUMPS CONNECTED TO 12V WITHOUT PWM

PUMPS CONNECTED TO 12v with PWM CONNECTED

400mm BITSPOWER RES WITH LIGHT TUBE

WATERJET RES WITH VID

FLIP WATER JET DIRECTION BACK TO FRONT

LAST CUSTOM ELECTRONICS CONTROL PCB DONE

ACRYLIC TUBING TEST - TOP & BOTTOM CHASSIS PANELS READY FOR THE TIG SHOP

BITSPOWER RESEVOIR; INTERNAL CCFL LIGHT-TUBE MOD - How To

WOO-HOO ! BACK FROM THE WELDING SHOP - THE VISION IS BECOMING CLEARER

STRETCHED CHASSIS MOCKUP WITHOUT THE PLASTIC TOP PANELS

TESTING THE RES MODS WITH AURORA, TARSIS RED . . . w/ VIDEOS

HOW TO DO MY LIGHT TUBE ADDITION MOD IN ANY BITSPOWER RES

HOW TO DO THE "JET TUBE" MOD

TOP PLASTIC PARTS FITTED TO TOP CHASSIS PANEL
post #3 of 990 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 92 (Unique: 76)
Subbed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5 of 990 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 38)

Definitely Subbing this one!!! Is this build being sponsored by NZXT Darlene? Sorry for being nosey. J/W? I know this will be an epic build as everything you've done so far has been insane.  thumb.gif

post #6 of 990 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Old, Senile, and Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino1974 View Post

Definitely Subbing this one!!! Is this build being sponsored by NZXT Darlene? Sorry for being nosey. J/W? I know this will be an epic build as everything you've done so far has been insane.  thumb.gif

As in getting everything for free, no.

A big wad of cash is coming from my pockets, but they are definately helping big time too. . . . a very cooperative relationship cheers.gif

I'm a firm believer in putting my money where my mouth is, and I believe in this build.

I do not think I've seen anything along this line done before, it's going to be as challenging as it is exciting.

BTW, Welcome aboard.

Darlene
post #7 of 990 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 03:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 38)

No Darlene be sponsored doesn't mean you get everything for free. At least it doesn't to me. I for sure didn't get everything for free. NXZT definitely does like helping modders out with their builds.  thumb.gif  A lot of people get the misconception that a sponsored build means the person got all the parts for free from different companies. Most builds out there might have a few things given but you always end up paying somewhere down the line for parts. And the actual work and extra materials like paints andacrylic and so one also comes out of pocket.

post #8 of 990 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 112 (Unique: 84)
post #9 of 990 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 44)
post #10 of 990 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 05:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 181 (Unique: 160)
subbed!

Funny Stuff! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka go_quote.gif

You playing Doom in your grocer's meat freezer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHighScore go_quote.gif

Oh man this keeps getting more and more entertaining. This guy must be giggling like a little school girl as he types this nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 go_quote.gif

Depends whose cooking, I've burnt cereal several times.
Twice this morning alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSfreak go_quote.gif

Look what landed on MY doorstep!!!
An Audi RS6 V10 tuned by MTM untill 900HP!!!
Oh yeah... I'll post the picture of it in 2018 rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 go_quote.gif

I don't want to lay my eyes upon these Beelzebubian gene pool disasters again. I've already suffered enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in