Welcome! This is a build log for my new rig, Calamity. I wanted to get this log started before I started the build process so I can show them both the attention that I am wanting too. This is my first time doing a custom water loop, so I am both excited and nervous. I figured I would put a log up though seeing as this community is very helpful to first timers such as myself. This will be a work in progress, as I only have about half of my parts in at the moment, so stay tuned for updates over the course of the coming weeks. College finals end next week, so I will have a lot of time to tinker starting then. By all means, if you see something that does not look right/doesn't fit/etc, please let me know! My build log is also partially for me to learn as I go in regards to water cooling, so any constructive criticism or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for checking it out, and wish me luck!
The theme I chose for this build revolves around my motherboard colors, the G1 Sniper 3. So I will be going with a Green/Black/White rig. It will be built in a CaseLabs SM8. Here is a brief list of the component list so far. This list is not 100% complete, so changes could occur at any time. I am a busy man with school, work, my wife, and my child. I will do my best to have updates as frequently as possible once the work has commenced.
I will update all the pertinent information through this first post, including everything that may need updating below, as well as direct links to pictures or updates late in the build, so you can go right to the action if you so choose. If you would like to see anything in particular, please ask, otherwise what you "want" or "need" to see for your particular desires may be excluded due to oversight or what I deem unimportant.
I am here to help as much as I can for the community that has so graciously helped me thus far in my endeavors.Color LegendGreen:
Denotes Received PartsRed:
Denotes Ordered Parts
Black: Denotes Undecided/Out Of Stock At Preferred RetailerHardwareCPU: Intel i5 3570K
- $210Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 EATX
- $270Case: CaseLabs SM8 (With Accessories)-Matte White
CaseLabs SM8 Pedestal With Drop In Radiator Mounts-Matte White $199.85 (Waiting Until After Christmas)GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked+ (2 Way SLI)
- $1080 ($540 Each)PSU: Corsair AX1200
- $270Ram: Mushkin Blackline Enhanced 16GB-Ridgeback
- $100SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (2 in Raid 0)
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (Games)- $270HDD: Western Digital Velociraptor 500GB (2 in Raid 0)
- $160 ($80 Each)Fans (Radiator): Gentle Typhoon AP-15 1850 RPM (12)
- $195 ($16 Each)Fan Controller: Lamptron FC5-V2
- $65Monitor: Asus VG278H 27" 3D LED 120hz
- $550Water CoolingRadiator: Alphacool UT60 480mm
- $119.99Radiator: Alphacool UT60 240mm
- $72.00Pump: Swiftech MCP655 With Speed Control
- $76.95Pump Top: Bitspower D5 Mod Top POM Version
- $49.95Pump Mod Kit: Bitspower Pump Mod Kit-Matte Black
- $44.95Reservoir: Bitspower 250mm Tube Reservoir
- $38.95Reservoir Upgrade Kit: Bitspower D5 Top Upgrade Kit 250-Black POM
- $49.95CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm High Performance Acetal-Black Edition
- $67.95GPU Block: EVGA Hydro Copper GTX 680 Edition (2)
- $300 ($150 Each)Fittings (Compression): Bitspower Deluxe White - 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD Compression (12)
- $109.45Fittings (90 Degree): Bitspower Deluxe WhiteG1/4" 90 Degree Rotary Extender (4)
- $47.96 ($11.99 Each)Fittings (60 Degree): Bitspower Deluxe White G1/4" 60 Degree Rotary Extender
- $11.99Fittings (45 Degree): Bitspower Deluxe White G1/4" 45 Degree Rotary Extender (4)
- $71.94 ($11.99 Each)Fittings (30 Degree): Bitspower Deluxe White G1/4" 30 Degree Rotary Extender
- $11.99Fittings (Stop Plugs): Bitspower Deluxe White G1/4" Low Profile Stop Fittings (6)
- $29.94 ($4.99 Each)Fittings (Stop Plugs): Bitspower Deluxe White G1/4" Stop Fittings (5)
- $24.95 ($4.99 Each)Fittings (Stop Plugs): Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" Stop Fittings
- $4.99Fittings (SLI): Bitspower Crystal Link SLI Tube Set With Matte Black Fittings (2)
- $32.98 ($16.49 Each)Fittings (Straight Extenders)
: Bitspower Deluxe White 30mm Extender (2)
- $15.98 ($7.99 Each)Fittings (Dual VID): Bitspower Matte Black Dual VID 41-69mm Extender (2)
- $23.90 ($11.95 Each)Fittings (Rotary T): Bitspower 180 Degree Rotary T-Matte Black
- $12.50Fittings (Male To Male): Bitspower Matte Black Dual G1/4" Male to Male
- $5.50Fittings (Male To Male): Bitspower Matte Black Dual G1/4" Mini Male To Male
- $4.99Fittings (Drain Valve) Bitspower Matte Black Mini Valve
- $18.99Fittings (Water Temp Sensor): Bitspower G ¼” Temp Sensor Stop Fitting-Matte Black (2)
- $21.90 ($10.95 Each)Coolant: Mayhems Pastel Mint Green 250ml (2)
- $43.90 ($21.95 Each)Tubing: Durelene 1/2" ID 3/4" OD-12 Feet
- $25.00SleevingParacord: 550 Lime Green-50ft
- $5Paracord: 550 Black-50ft
- $5Paracord: 550 White-50ft
- $5MDPC: Toxic Green-20 Meters
- $25.08MDPC: White-20Meters
- 25.08MDPC: Black-20 Meters
- $23.52MDPC: White Sata-5 Meters
- $9.14Heatshrink: MDPC White
- $11.96Heatshrink: MDPC Black
- $11.96Heatshrink: MDPC White Sata
I am most likely going to order some samples of a few greens from Nils at MDPC, as I would prefer his sleeving. I went with paracord for now because the Lime Green matches the green I am using extremely well. If anyone has used MDCP Ranger Green or Combat Green with a Gigabyte Sniper 3 or M3, please let me know how well the color matches. I also am thinking of just doing my own custom wires for the lengths I want for cable management/aesthetic reasons. I am fairly OCD when it comes to things like that, so we will see how that goes. MiscellaneousFan Distribution: 6 Way Fan Distribution PCB’s (2-1 For Each Radiator)
- $11 ($5.50 Each)Acrylic:
Miscellaneous CoversTotal Cost To Date (Excluding Tools)
Click To Find Out! (Click to show)
$5647.21 (Still Have Much More To Buy!)
Picture IndexComing Soon...
I would LOVE some recommendations on the parts I have not ordered as of yet, or even any input reinforcing my original thoughts for said components!
I also have to hit the hardware store once my sleeving arrives (tomorrow) to match the green paint the best I can. I plan on painting the fan blades and possibly the housings (or filter covers if I go that route). Furthermore, I also have some White Carbon Fiber Di-Noc on the way as an option for my Rads/Psu. Not 100% sure if I am going with Di-Noc or paint/powder yet, but I'm sure I will find use of it somewhere in my build, the stuff is amazing for accents/etc. I think the gloss will go nicely with the matte/satin finish of the white CaseLabs SM8! I may also end up getting the CaseLabs Matte White paint matched at a paint shop to get exact colors, without some off the risks of using powder on radiators. I am undecided in this regard, so chime in if you have any thoughts on any of these topics.
A little Teaser of some of the components I have received already. I will update as things come in, and I will be sure to post a bit in advance before I start the actual build! Please understand I am not a professional photographer, but I will try my best to produce the best possible images I can with my DSLR!Teaser Pictures! (Click to show)
G1 Sniper 3 EATXi5 3570KMushkin Blackline 16GBSamsung 830 128GB (My Boot Drive)WD Velociratpor 500GB
Here is a glimpse of how I plan on wiring my 6 fans per radiator into 1 channel each on my Lamptron FC5-V2. This "should" work, as the startup wattage for the 6 GT AP-15's should be ~24 watts is my math is correct. If it seems off to you, please let me know.
Also, please pardon my newbie MS Paint skills, or lack thereof. Hopefully it is easy to understand, but I basically am just wanting to maintain the average RPM load on each radiator without my Lamptron going nuts over having 6 RPM wires going into it (Big thanks to EpicAMDGamer
of OCN for the guidance with this!
Stay Tuned For More Updates in the coming days and weeks!