[Build Log] Blastoise - A 4 step build from Prodigy to {scratch} - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Blastoise - A 4 step build from Prodigy to {scratch}

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 154 (Unique: 110)
Quote:
What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.

I have an idea, and it has been festering since well before Thanksgiving and the Blackfriday sales which convinced me to finally upgrade from my PII x4 955BE. This idea is to create a system which is small enough to fit on my desk, stylish enough for me to want to show off to my friends, yet quiet enough to not be heard over my headset.

I can attribute this inception to two main culprits, She Loved E and Seanimus448. If you have not seen Compact Splash, and loved it.. You must be living under a rock, please educate yourself and read the build log here. It was a very valuable read, and one that really put the idea of a small build into my head.

You can see a Seanimus' log in my signature, while it may seem odd for a giant Caselabs build to inspire a small build, simply put his attention to detail and unwillingness to settle have resulted in a very education build log filled with numerous detail mods which can be used in any form factor build. I also highly recommend reading his log, you will learn something.

Components:
  • ASRock Z77E-ITX I have been dying to get my hands on an ASRock board, and this proved the perfect chance.
  • Intel 3770K Thanks to Microcenter for selling this at just over the cost of the 3570K, I could not pass up this offer.
  • White BitFenix Prodigy
  • Vengeance 2x8GB CL10 This might change, as I purchased this for my DZ77GA-70K, and the red doesn't go with the "Blastoise" theme.
  • Corsair CX600WM This is probably only for the Prodigy case, step 3 likely will be replaced by silverstone 450W gold modular.
  • ASUS DC2-4GB GTX670 This drives my 1440p monitor, and 1200p 2nd monitor, as such the slight performance hit was taken over the chance current modded and next gen games might max 2GB GDDR.
  • CM 212+ This will only be used during step 1 of the prodigy build.
  • HyperX 3K 120GB Got 2 of these in fakeRAID 0, which was my initial reason for AMD -> Intel switch for the Z77 chipset.

There is a problem with this idea, I have never watercooled. Although, I have been sorely tempted in the past, most recently due to CF 2xHD4890 and a PII x4 955BE. I don't particularly like the idea of frying a couple grand of hardware, so a 3770k build would be both strong SFF build, and a great platform for learning on with less financial risk due to failure. The solution, was to create a practice build, where I have a larger room for error, and I can use most of the components for my final build. Enter, the Prodigy.

This MacPro wannabee has all the room I need to comfortably fit and cool the components I want to use in my final build, and it just looks cool. Off the shelf doesn't work for me, so this build will also make use of a SLightBox, and have some light modding to the internals to support a res / pump combo. I should be able to fit a 240mm and 140-200mm rad as well, which should ensure plenty of rad surface area. I will also be working on a custom side and fron panels, these will be the main places I will be adding the Blastoise theme. The general color scheme will be blue on white, while I will be looking to potentially add some tan.

The idea of all of this is to get practice with all tools and skills necessary to complete my scratch build of Blastoise.

Step 1) Everything Air cooled in my basic prodigy. This isn't even a pokemon. It is like being at that screen, where Oak who apparently has known you for years, has no idea what your name is.

Step 2) Squirtle - Everything under water in a custom loop in the Prodigy. Light Custom work has been done to support the loop, but still looks like a white Prodigy.

Step 3) Wartortle - Side and front panel complete, sleek yet tastefully flashing, in a refined sort of way. SLightBox and odds and ends added.

Step 4) Blastoise - Custom Case constructed, all sleeving, and etching complete in a *very* small form factor, custom loop refined and glowing. A true symbol of the power of water.

I will be working on this build as I have time, and pictures / unboxing and updates will be posted. Thanks for reading, hope you'll enjoy my log, and can help complete this goal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:23 PM
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Past User

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Looking forward to this build, Like the pokemon evolution theme going on with it. I'm more of a Ghost/dark type guy ;P (Gengar is my favorite) but Water is far more fitting for this build smile.gif Subbed

i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz | GTX 780 Lightning @ 1300Mhz | 32GB Dominator Platinum | G1. Sniper 5 | NH-D15
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Looking forward to this!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hey guys! Thanks for the interest!

I want to give you a bit of an update, work has been a tremendous bog on my free time, and with 2 deaths in the family I have had very little free time at home to upload my pics and put the thread together as the build has been taking every free second. I am officially calling squirtle a success.

The current status of the build is my 3770k at 4.8ghz, and my titan at 1202/3600. Cooling provided by Swiftech and EKWB, consists of an H220 AIO kit in pull mounted on the front of the case expanded with an additional MCR-220-QP on top with 2 fans mounted outside the case in push. All fittings used are EK 3/8 5/8 compression fittings or the swivel barb fittings of the H220 kit. Titan is being cooled by an EK WB Acetal and copper, with a backplate for looks and VRAM cooling.

Here is a couple pics I have uploaded so far from the build biggrin.gif

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketus View Post

hey ! what about the Mercury S3 by CaseLabs ?

That case is great looking, I look at it and see a white prodigy without as much flare or annoying Mac-wannabe standings. Unfortunately, I love the prodigy smile.gif I chose the case as a means to experiment and work worth watercooling in a slightly larger and easier to work with environment than a full scratch case design.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in