Liquid Cooled NES-PC - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Liquid Cooled NES-PC

post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Build is somewhat successful, somewhat failed. I don't have any more time to give to it, and the work that it would take to finish the build would be so tedious, it wouldn't be worth it at this point. Here's some final pics. Read through the posts for the log.

All the parts have arrived for my liquid cooled NES-PC. Its been air cooled for about a year now and I can't stop trying to make it better. Ill be mounting parts on my currently hacked up NES this weekend. The purpose of water cooling this build is more for fun factor than performance. I am, however, hoping to see a substantial decrease in GPU temps at load. I'm currently getting 80 C while gaming and 90 C in Furmark. Silence is also an important factor in this build.

I'll post pictures and run stress tests before the weekend is over. For now, here is a parts list:

Intel i7-3770S
Sapphire HD 7750 LP
EVGA GTX 660
8 GB Corsair 1600
256 GB Crucial M4 mSata
750 GB Seagate Hybrid
Intel DQ77KB Thin Mini-Itx MoBo
Intel Centrino WiFi + Bluetooth
NES Controller USB Adapter
XBOX Wireless Controller Receiver
Pulse-Eight CEC Adapter
160W Power Brick (just received a 330W Dell power brick. Not sure if the 19.5V rating will work with the 19V specifications for the MoBo, though. Any input there?)
330W Power Brick

Custom Loop:
Swiftech MCP35X
Black Ice Stealth GT Single 120mm
Apogee LP CPU Block
Koolance 210 GPU Block
EK gtx 660 block
Noctua NF-F12 120mm Fan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 252 (Unique: 215)
Looking forward to the pictures. thumb.gif

Stop asking "why would you do that?" We're in "the pursuit of performance" here.
Do you have Too Much Airflow?

post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 369 (Unique: 231)
Oke I will folow this one for sure.
Have followed that other WC nes mod and that yieled some great ideas.
You're not planning on cutting the NES are you?
As you have that pretty big rad on your list including a fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I finished putting together and leak testing the loop! It all fits (albeit a very tight fit biggrin.gif ) and I've been running stress tests.

I was blown away by the GPU temps: 30 C at load! Although nothing special for water cooling, that's 50 C cooler than my air cooled 80C!!! Unfortunately, something's wrong with my CPU block. Temps immediately shoot up with any use. In prime 95, it shot up to 70 C almost immediately and I only let it run a few seconds. I tried reapplying thermal grease, and even cranked down the screws some more. Same results. Now I have the problem that two of the screws are turning at a joint in the middle, instead of at the actual socket, and I can't get them out. Ill figure that out, but HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE SWIFTECH APOGEE LP BLOCK? Any other cpu blocks out there with outlet/inlet on the side?

Wish me luck!!!

Here's a miserable picture of the mounted loop with an open case. The MoBo is mounted on the roof of the NES-PC and the graphics card gets Velcroed to the bottom of the NES-PC. The rad and fan get mounted to the bottom as well. Small feet allow the fan to exaust underneath (and out of sight). I'm using 1/4" tubing and anti-kink coil, which has saved my life with so many tight turns.

BTW, ill be cutting and sheathing all cables to size. I have a couple NES cases in the mail, one of which I'll neatly cut and frame holes in the back and bottom (for ports, intake, and fan exhaust on bottom). The two controller ports on front are usable and behind the scenes are usb adapters. From the front and sides it is always mistaken to be an original NES. The LED is red when in sleep and green when in use (mostly it sits on red, being my living room htpc and gaming rig).

Here's some old photos from when it was air cooled. They'll give you an idea of what it'll look like when I'm done. Keep in mind the final product will be much more polished (straight lined, framed cuts; sheathed, trimmed, and dyed black cables).

post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

You're not planning on cutting the NES are you?

Sorry, no way these components are going to stay cool without some serious intake and exhaust. The 120mm fan means its super silent, though smile.gif I'd be worried about the DC-DC circuitry on the MoBo (not to mention the VRM on the GPU) if there was any less airflow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

Have followed that other WC nes mod and that yieled some great ideas.

You mean one of these?
https://www.overclock.net/t/977745/robertwhamms-project-the-watercooled-nes
https://www.overclock.net/t/1064158/worklog-aquanes-scratch-case-water-cooling-build

Already saw Robertwhamm's. Just subscribed to the AquaNES. Wish I would have thought of the name first wink.gif

Robertwhamm was trying to use a slim fan, which I don't think would work. He made the case bigger and was planning on putting some stellar vinyl images on it. I like confusing people too much to make it look different than an original NES, so I won't do that, however.

It looks like the AquaNES hasn't been updated since parts came in. I've been through all kinds of parts before i got to where i am now. The space and power constraints are pretty darn complicated for a newb like me, not to mention the new world of WC.

post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

I meant another one but those 2 are pretty to.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/newestpost/1332383
That one

I understand it needs ventilation but can't you do like 2x 50mm intake in the back and then let the fan stick out the bottom so is both out take and blower?
One goes to hell and back trying to keep it as original as possible.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Not sure I follow you. You mean do the same thing that I'm already doing, but make the cutout in back smaller? As in only a small cutout for the ports and a thin 2mmx50mm strip for intake?

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettescott View Post

Not sure I follow you. You mean do the same thing that I'm already doing, but make the cutout in back smaller? As in only a small cutout for the ports and a thin 2mmx50mm strip for intake?
What I meant is that you use 2 50mm fans to take it in and use the 120mm fan to take it out and push it to the sides of the case.

I made a paint so you can get my drift:

Pink are the 2x 50mm fans
Red is the 120mm rad
Orange is the 120mm fan
Darker blue is the NES case
Purple are the standoffs underneat the case
Light blue is cold intake air
Gold is hot outtake air.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

No sure how that's different from what I have, except for adding two extra 50mm fans in the back. You'd still have to cut holes into the back for those two fans.

Update: turns out I stripped the threads in the cpu back plate and I wasn't able to get the screws out. I tried cutting them with a dremmel and it didn't work. A replacement board is in the mail and should arrive by Tuesday. Im wondering if I just didn't put enough grease on it. I wont know till that replacement comes.

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

In the mean time, ill work on cables.

A picture of the Xbox receiver, NES controller USB adapter, and USB port.
The Xbox receiver and USB adapter are taken out of their casings. I fasten the Xbox receiver to the case with heavy duty Velcro smile.gif the board is sheathed in vinyl (comes in a roll, used for that craft lettering people put on walls). I use the same vinyl for framing cutouts in the case. The usb controller adapter doesn't fit with the graphics card where it is now. Ill cut the leads, solder on wires, reroute the circuit board to a convenient location, and sheath it all. The USB port will be mounted laterally on the bottom of the case, similar to the old photos in my earlier post. Ill trim and sheath it as well. Having the usb in the front is far too unseemly, but having it just on the side is nicely convenient.

The pulse eight HDMI CeC adapter, mounted on top of the Bluetooth + wifi mini card.

This lets me control XBMC using my TV remote. XbMC is awesome, with all my movies, music, and games (wii, n64, snes, PC, etc) all in one place. It makes the nESPC act as any other home theater device: turning on with the TV, going to sleep when the TV is turned off, play, pause, etc in XBMC. Just plain cool smile.gif Ill trim and sheath these long wires too.

Btw, frontx is a fantastic place to get the usb end connectors and some similar items. Ships from Malaysia but shipping and parts are affordable. Not at all like getting a couple of screws from Frozencpu like I did :/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in