[Build Log] My 1st ever Intel build (56k Warning) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] My 1st ever Intel build (56k Warning)

post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 51)
Well hello everybody wave2.gif

Now I'm usually all for AMD builds but in the recent years i personally felt they are somewhat lacking, I know the price of an AMD build in comparison to an Intel build is somewhat cheaper, but that's pretty much where the perk stops.
So I have decided to change teams on the old CPU front, this is my 1st Intel build so i hope you all like it (i know I do) biggrin.gif

Now as for a components list...... I'll split it down to parts i already owned and parts i had to buy.

Already owned:
  • Case- Corsair air 540 black
  • PSU- CM silent Pro gold 1200w
  • Optical- Samsung Blu-ray rw
  • HDD2- WD Caviar black 500gb
  • HDD3- WD Caviar black 500gb
  • HDD4- Samsung pro 120gb
  • GPU- x2 XFX DD R9 280X's
  • Soundcard- Creative x-fi Titanium

Parts i had to buy:
  • Mobo- MSi X79A-GD65 (8D)
  • CPU- i7 3820 Lga2011
  • Heatsink- Watercooled with EK-KIT L240
  • Ram- 16gb quad channel Corsair Vengance red edition
  • HDD1- OCZ Revo-drive3 Pci-e SSD 120gb (used for OS)

Now I have already finished this build but i took pictures along the way, the next few posts will have streams of pictures for you to oogle at..
I only just finished putting this Build together about an hour before posting this so i am yet to press that Oc Genie button to see what auto overclock i can get biggrin.gif however i am not going to do any serious overclocking until next weekend when i purchase a better cooler (thinking the H80i) then i will try to get as close to 5.0ghz as possible thumb.gif

Now I have tried my best at the photo's, pretty sure i took plenty (even some closeups) so i hope you all enjoy smile.gif

Edit: Edited parts list.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

so here are the pics i promised. the 1st set is of my old AMD build being Disassembled.

Now i know my painting of the inside is terrible (red paint all over the edges) but i'm honestly not bothered lol. Gonna be getting a new case near to the end of the year anyway. biggrin.gif

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Now this set of pictures are are all about the motherboard, includes Hi-Def closeups so be warned tongue.gif

Now i hope thats got all your taste buds tingling because the nest lot of pictures are the final bunch biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Now the last bunch of photos for you all, the final assembly of my Intel build for you all to gawk at,

Now that's all the pics i have of the building process. tihs last pic is one of CPU-z but only at stock speeds

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Now once I had connected everything up, I pushed the power button awaiting patiently for the windows install screen.......however to my bemused surprise it didn't post mad.gif I tried a few time, checking if i had maybe grounded the mobo somehow, but as far as i could see everything was good headscratch.gif and then i remembered reading on here somewhere that the 1st set of x79 motherboards, were shipped with a bios that didn't support the 3820's, basically any bios lower than v1.5 wouldn't post.

I found a fix after trawling the internet on my trusty xperia phone, the fix was to remove all but one of the ram sticks and use any HDD with windows already installed. I still hadn't erased my SSD which i used as my OS drive in my AMD build, so i hooked that up and pressed the power button, sitting there fingers crossed eyes closed i heard the familiar beep of the post. Looking up at my screen through blurry eyes, i see that windows logo swirling in the center of my screen biggrin.gif hastily sitting up i flash up my browser looking for the latest bios, finding it quickly on the MSi website i get that sucker downloaded and installed through their auto update software.

Shutting down my Pc, re-installing my ram and unplugging the SSD i re-boot the system and BOOM!! it's post's straight away.............problem solved thumb.gif

everything else was pretty much straight forward.

hope you enjoyed my tale of woe tongue.gif

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well I've had some time to see how much of an OC this OC genie button gives, it's not that bad actually. I've been running at a steady 4ghz all day now playing Crysis 3 and Guildwars 2 (not that GW2 stresses the system, i just love the game)
below is my CPU-z screenshot for ya biggrin.gif

Next updat will be thursday or friday depending on when i get my H80i

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 38)
Very nice my friend.

sneaky.gif: : The Official Corsair Hydro Series Club : : sneaky.gif

AMD Radeon HD 69xx Owners Club
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo71 View Post

Very nice my friend.

Cheers dude biggrin.gif

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I realised I hadn't taken any photo's after i tidied up the inside of my PC so a few more Photo's.
been trying out the Macro mode on my camera so there's a few tester shots thrown in

let me know what you think of my camera work tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in