[BUILD LOG] S C O U T 2 G T R - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[BUILD LOG] S C O U T 2 G T R

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
So i decided to make a build log since i have invested in a decent amount of materials, hardware, and tools to work on my rigs.
Quote:
Little bit about me, been gaming daily since i was 8, moved to pc when i was 20, went pro in two games at 25, went to paris for the Electronic Sports World Cup in 2006, Worked with valve on CS:S, Worked with the warsow team a bit, worked on quake 3 cpma extensively with the lead programmer for about 4 years, worked with him on quakelive for a month or two overseeing something that they may have missed, managed to get a few of my mods implemented into quakelive and some ideas for quake 5.

But when it comes to hardware, i've been a noob until i joined this forum in January and i went all in... atleast i thought i did.
More specific data and parts list can be found in the Scout 2 GTR rig builder page

Added an AX860 for proper power, 1x SP120 fan, 2133 CL9 Corsair Dominator, removed the red velcro straps and screws. Carbon fiber vinyl'd crossfire connectors, carbon fiber I/O Box, seperated the GPU's, removed network card and sound card. also removed the NZXT touch screen fan controller.

Then two sapphire 7950s for a sweet crossfire setup.

After abusing the crap out of xtreme3 with an 8120 and an 8350 i finally nuked it lol. so i bought a crosshair v formula z.

these are the settings of the asrock 990fx when it died. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
8350 at 4.7 1.47v
235fsb
Nb 23xx at 1.3v
Ht at 2580
LLC disabled with ht and nb set to 1.25v each
Every power saving disabled
All with cl9 ripsaws x 1600 9 9 9 1.5v at 1:4
Also most likely under powered with an ax650 psu with 7950 crossfire so there may have been a surge in voltage to fry a vrm or another component.

Some accessories arrived, chrome split tubing to dress up the drab and common corsair black lines and to fit the gtr theme. some urethane red screws and some silent rubber screwless mounts came for the sidepanel fans. red 5 led light strip was added just behind the upper bezel at the top which aims down onto the video card area.
Heres some final pics as it sits right now. arriving next week are two Sapphire 7950s which wont be water cooled this time due to space and cost benefit. the h60 and plate will be going on ebay as a combo i think, not sure yet. and i dont have enough rep to sell here yet, same for the CM EVO + and aluminum fans will too.

DWOOD's adapter finally arrived and i went to town assembling everything and finishing off the cable management. i picked up a 1-to-3 4pin plate thats mounted right inside on the floor to easily connect/disconnect the side fans when i remove the side panel. only problem, the plate had all male 4 pins on it o_O. broke out the soldiering gun and hardwired a power source to the angled 4 prongs, then used some double sided 3m to mount it. then the next step was pretty hard, mounted the h60 rad to the back of the h100 rad. i mounted a fan to the back of the 240 rad with only two crisscrossed screws leave two empty holes for the rad. the h60 rad was mounted with two screws in the other remaining two holes, which was nightmare. i used a small phillips drill bit head and a set of pliers to tighten inbetween the tight spot. then mounting the fan on the back of the h60 was just like normal. dwoods adapter is unfortunately made for the uncommon 92mm fan size. since fans dont need to be THAT secure i used a high cfm 80mm fan and just twist tied through the other eyelet to the bracket, doesnt move.

Acrylic ended up being my next venture, so after buying a 1000 degree heatgun and using some nice cutting bits from the dremel i fab'd some panels to cover the drive area and PSU, then purchased some glossy di-noc to finish it off.

Found some leftover di-noc from a previous job and went to town. two days later after researching ALOT about mice and following skylits posts around the forum, that mouse got retired pretty quick. i found my grip style and picked up a CM SPAWN , SKORPIAN cable holder, corsair mm200 mousepad, and rubber octopus red textured rubber keycaps to do the job right.

Then it started to become a theme in my head and the logo arrived from ebay, win

Once mounted the screws could only be placed on one 120mm fan section because the spacing between the two front fans and the spacing between the two fan hole sets on the rad are too far apart. so i only put two screws in across from each other on the front panel, then placed a 120mm fan ontop of that in the two left over screw holes. later that day i realised my fan configuration was pushing in from two fans on the front and two on the side. so the rad fans were forcing hot air into the case and the south bridge temp was roughly 52c. so i reversed the whole fan config to... top two fan and rear going out, two sides going in, two fronts going out. this dropped the SB temp back down to 32c where it belongs.

So i picked up a dremel and rough cut the areas to allow the rad to still be screwed into the front panel. the lower and upper parts had bump-outs that were stopping it from sliding all the way forward.

Ive always told myself i would never water cool my pc, water doesnt mix with electronics. unfortunately corsair stopped that fear in me, and apparently thousands of other people. so i ditched the 2 week old CM EVO + and the fans for an h100. removed the sliding hdd cage, then drilled out the rivets to fit the rad. for a while it was just wedged in there unmounted(was later dremeled to fit)

I then thought the black plastic brackets that hold the fans on are no good black, so magically they became metallic silver.

Then i found a friends pc he was helping understand a few things and he mentioned these aftermarket coolers, surprisingly cheap so i picked one up. after finding out the stock fans on all these things just completely suck. which i now know why the manufacturers put these fans on, they know we're going to replace them anyway so to cut costs they use the poopy ones. so i picked up matching aluminum shell'd fans, which are beautiful i might add.

It wasnt long until i found dwoods baller additon to the OCN members

So at this point is when i started getting into hardware way more than i used to. after finding OCN, it pretty much changes your life and outlook on pc's completely. so i picked up a proper video card(which is currently being replaced at 2months old for two 7950s)

Since i couldnt move the sim rig i decided to dust off my 360 controller and turn it into a fashion statement. they only make these shell kits for wireless versions. since wireless stuff has ridiculous input lag i had to do some modifications to make it work on the wired version.

This was all in the basement, come winter i had moved into the spare room, which adds a bit of trouble for all my networked hardware, 2 iphones, ipad2, 3pcs. so i need to get organized, used a web app to make a quick mockup of what i needed to do.

I used to race and drift so a G27 fully built racing sim was in order complete with a vertical ebrake soldiered in. also added a logitech 5.1 x530 for sound, which is awesome, used walmarts match it pricing and got it for 52$. mounted the sub under the seat to shake things. made brackets to mount the rear speakers behind my head on the red APC racing seat. then bought some foam and white board to dress it up a bit. then picked up a samsung 32in display for a little better immersion.

Ditched my rosewill challenger & Linkworld 431-06 C.2222 Black for a scout 2 metallic, challengers still an awesome case for the money btw...

5 GHz Overclock Club
Mechanical Keyboard Club
Intel SSD Owners Club
□ ESDF Movement Key Users United □ _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_->NEW CLUB! JOIN, READ THE DATA & TRY IT !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 18)
Dat 360 controller drool.gif

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Shell Case Cover With Buttons For Wireless Controller XBOX 360 (GOLDEN)
cheers.gif

every color is available out there somewhere, either in gloss or chrome

5 GHz Overclock Club
Mechanical Keyboard Club
Intel SSD Owners Club
□ ESDF Movement Key Users United □ _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_->NEW CLUB! JOIN, READ THE DATA & TRY IT !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I did something like that GT-R badge to a toy of mine:

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

updated the first thread, made a bunch of changes. heres a pic

5 GHz Overclock Club
Mechanical Keyboard Club
Intel SSD Owners Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in