[Build Log] "Magnum" Watercooled 350D Haswell Build - Page 14 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] "Magnum" Watercooled 350D Haswell Build

post #131 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjawithagun View Post

That is correct. If you do decide to mount an optic drive, there won't be any room for maneuvering the Corsair H110 into place if you want the tubes in the front. That's because there is only about 1 inch of clearance between where the tubes connect to the radiator and the top of the optic drive. If you look closely at the second pic, you can see clearly that there is no room to orient the tubes. You could try, but the tubes would either kink or pop off the radiator altogether which is a very bad thing. If you decide that you MUST have the tubes toward the front of the case, you will not be able to have an integrated optic drive. For some folks, this is okay.

Also, FYI - I forgot to mention that this is my secondary LAN gaming rig. My primary rig is listed below in my profile signature coolsmiley02.gif
With a little bit of modding, you may be able to fit a slim profile optical drive in the 2nd bay, and that would give you enough clearance to run the tubes from the front, and have a proper fan in the back!

Quote:
"Set your mind, soul, and heart upon doing everything necessary to become your best".-Coach Duane Lee Bemis M.Ed.
My Clubs (Click to show)
post-flame-small.gif Teen Overclockers Club post-flame-small.gif The OCN Brass Club post-flame-small.gif Overclock.net Mechanical Keyboard Club post-flame-small.gif Corsair Obsidian Club post-flame-small.gif Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs post-flame-small.gif Corsair 350D Owners Club post-flame-small.gif Overclock.net Watercooling Club post-flame-small.gif Mayhems Users Club post-flame-small.gif 4GHz Club post-flame-small.gif
Build Logs (Click to show)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM
I miss Case Labs

Rep: 62 (Unique: 58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver1234 View Post

I was actually thinking about Magnum also because Magnus sounds a bit too Latin ( I take the language in school).
The 2 280's would fit fine, but the front one may require drilling a few holes for the fans. I didn't go with the 280's for 3 reasons:
1. I already had the 120mm corsair fans
2. In some cases, 120mm fans give more static pressure than most 140mm fans, and will cool the rad much more effectively.
3. They are slightly cheaper (In my situation, every dollar counts).

The honest reason I didn't follow through on the unique layout I had planned was money ( lack of), and my obsession with having a tube res in the case. When I have a steady job in college in a couple years, I definitely plan to mess around with "alternate" layouts with my case in real life, instead of in my head.

Actually, I don't think you can put a 280 up front out of the box: While two 140mm fans will fit, you still need room for the connections to come into play. The only way I can see that happening is if you mod the case - probably and most easily, by stripping out the ODD bays. At that point, you'll have to figure out how to fit a res in there somehow - since a bay res will be out of the question.

Kevdog's Law: 2 // GTX Titan: 0 CaseLabs - BH2, SMA8-A, S8
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
"If the modding you do is covered by the manufactures warranty, you didn't do enough modding."

post #133 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post

Actually, I don't think you can put a 280 up front out of the box: While two 140mm fans will fit, you still need room for the connections to come into play. The only way I can see that happening is if you mod the case - probably and most easily, by stripping out the ODD bays. At that point, you'll have to figure out how to fit a res in there somehow - since a bay res will be out of the question.

Actually, you can. I just rechecked the mounting holes in the front of my 350D case last night and saw that it is possible without any modifications to the case. What you would need to do is mount the radiator inside the case with the tubes on either end facing inward. Then mount the two 140mm fans on the exterior of the case in a push configuration. The screws included with the H110 are long enough to secure the fans to the backside of the radiator. No mods are necessary because the tubes are already facing inward inside the case biggrin.gif

Not sure how many people here would prefer doing this upgrade though as it prevents from being able to have fresh cool air being blown into the PC from the front... I guess it would be okay if you decided to mount a custom 280mm radiator for watercooling the graphics cards, but the reservoir would need to be mounted in place of the optic drive or in the bottom of the case between the radiator and power supply.

*UPDATE* I forgot to check the width between the two sides of the metal beams in the front of the case. It may not be wide enough to mount a 280mm radiator. I will measure it when I get home from work tonight and post another update...

Ninjawithagun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post

\

Ninjawithagun is right, and also even if the tubes were at the same end, it's definitely possible to just cut the 2nd OD bay, and leave the first open for a single bay res.

Quote:
"Set your mind, soul, and heart upon doing everything necessary to become your best".-Coach Duane Lee Bemis M.Ed.
My Clubs (Click to show)
post-flame-small.gif Teen Overclockers Club post-flame-small.gif The OCN Brass Club post-flame-small.gif Overclock.net Mechanical Keyboard Club post-flame-small.gif Corsair Obsidian Club post-flame-small.gif Club for those with beastly mATX/ITX rigs post-flame-small.gif Corsair 350D Owners Club post-flame-small.gif Overclock.net Watercooling Club post-flame-small.gif Mayhems Users Club post-flame-small.gif 4GHz Club post-flame-small.gif

post #135 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:13 AM
I miss Case Labs

Rep: 62 (Unique: 58)
Fair enough - I just didn't think there would be room. smile.gif

Kevdog's Law: 2 // GTX Titan: 0 CaseLabs - BH2, SMA8-A, S8
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
"If the modding you do is covered by the manufactures warranty, you didn't do enough modding."

post #136 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I am 95% sure that a non-AIO 280mm radiator cannot fit in the front unless you saw through the ODD cage (it is not removable by rivets, it is actually the same piece of steel as the front frame). The reason is that the input and output ports extend the height of the radiator by almost another inch.
post #137 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here's a shot of CPU - Z, Memory info, Super pi Calculation Times, and Core temps (shows min. and Max during super pi):

Rad and res should be here later today!

Quote:
My Clubs (Click to show)

post #138 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
I intended on removing the optical completely. This is good news.

post #139 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmwookie View Post

I intended on removing the optical completely. This is good news.

Glad you'll end up fitting a 280, just plan out carefully ahead of time where and how you will cut.

I sketched up a quick design of the GPU backplate, the black color will be brushed aluminum, and the red will be light showing through holes. Any thoughts?

Quote:
My Clubs (Click to show)

post #140 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

UPDATE!!!!!
Got my package!
EDIT: Sorry, pics went in backwards order!
Picked up some distilled water and vinegar for rad flushing:

Do you guys know what this is? Is it a drain port? It's not on the 30mm rad, could I use it in the loop?

With rad flushing, should I only flush it right before I fill it with fluid, or can I do it now? Also, if I decide not to do it now, could I still install the rads, and flush the entire loop (would vinegar hurt anything like the pump or blocks?)
Thanks!

Quote:
My Clubs (Click to show)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in