[Build Log] Belial's Perfect Z87 Build! - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Belial's Perfect Z87 Build!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Cyro999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10,755
Rep: 537 (Unique: 329)
Bro you should tell me if you use my pics tongue.gif

I don't believe in "good enough"~!!

240hz / gsync / low persistence is AWESOME

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
Cyro999 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,585
Rep: 166 (Unique: 142)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Fenny View Post

I have never been a big fan of more than two colours but I must say the mixture of the colours on the sleeving is perfect thumb.gif

Cheers

Fen

I think 2 colors are ugly, I don't think I've ever really seen 2 color work (there's a few interesting combos like electric blue/electric green kinda 2-color mixes but i think they're kinda ugly, but that's the best i've really seen).

In general, I think 3 color is pretty ugly, there's only a few mixes I've seen work - Blue/Gray/White, and Green/Gray/White. There's a couple Blue/Gray/Whites I've seen floating around that look great, particularly some Bitfenix Prodigy mod where the guy had everything matching except some noctua fan he had to paint (i can't, for the life of me, find it again though, i know it's around here on OCN). There's a blue/black/white, where the guy used a lot of white, like black/blue/white/white with 2 x EVGA GPUs, I'm sure it's easy to find the pics of his build if you search, it looks good but too much white and the black is too strong.

I was going to go with just solid colonial blue again like I had done with my Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H in my last build, which looked awesome, but after some time I came to realize that the Z87X-UD3H's blue is actually a lot darker than the Z77X, not to mention that the way it's mostly reflective grays, a solid color cable scheme would look overwhelming while a multi-color scheme would either fail miserably, or look absolutely stunning.

I'm glad for your honestly, and I completely welcome any criticism anyone has. I must say, I think I've only seen a multi-color scheme look really good twice, as in way better than a solid scheme would've looked. That's the problem with multi-color, it might look good, but does it look better than if you had just gone with a solid color? I think the Gigabyte Z87 boards just really beg for multi-color schemes, where instead of solid Blue (or Red or Yellow for that matter), you go with Whites/Blacks/Grays using a color as an accent.

I'll post some pics up, I would have completed my build 99% today but then my drill battery died and I forgot to get a battery charger..... oooh, my god, how obnoxious. I can't install anything until I drill out the 140mm fan holes (which I don't even need to do really, there are already so many holes and such in the front grills, but to really make the build complete... gotta drill some oddly spaced ugly holes) since there's shaved metal everywhere from the hole saw.

I also ordered an NZXT white LED 1m. Decided to go 1m instead of 2m because indecisive omg i should have went with 2m... I still can't figure out if a blue LED under the case or a white LED would be better (would the blue look weird with the white light coming out the window? Would white look stupid coming under a computer case?).

I gotta take a pic of just every piece of tooling, gear, and equipment i have for this build. It would fill up an entire room, it's just nuts. I'll post pics later of my sleeve work on the case, front audio, and USB cables.
Quote:
Bro you should tell me if you use my pics

it is not ur pic it is my pic thx.
Belial is offline  
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Cyro999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10,755
Rep: 537 (Unique: 329)
Pretty sure that's my ud3h + silver arrow ;P

hurry up with build!

I don't believe in "good enough"~!!

240hz / gsync / low persistence is AWESOME

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
Cyro999 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Bad Fenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 261
Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

I think 2 colors are ugly, I don't think I've ever really seen 2 color work (there's a few interesting combos like electric blue/electric green kinda 2-color mixes but i think they're kinda ugly, but that's the best i've really seen).

In general, I think 3 color is pretty ugly, there's only a few mixes I've seen work - Blue/Gray/White, and Green/Gray/White. There's a couple Blue/Gray/Whites I've seen floating around that look great, particularly some Bitfenix Prodigy mod where the guy had everything matching except some noctua fan he had to paint (i can't, for the life of me, find it again though, i know it's around here on OCN). There's a blue/black/white, where the guy used a lot of white, like black/blue/white/white with 2 x EVGA GPUs, I'm sure it's easy to find the pics of his build if you search, it looks good but too much white and the black is too strong.

I was going to go with just solid colonial blue again like I had done with my Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H in my last build, which looked awesome, but after some time I came to realize that the Z87X-UD3H's blue is actually a lot darker than the Z77X, not to mention that the way it's mostly reflective grays, a solid color cable scheme would look overwhelming while a multi-color scheme would either fail miserably, or look absolutely stunning.

I'm glad for your honestly, and I completely welcome any criticism anyone has. I must say, I think I've only seen a multi-color scheme look really good twice, as in way better than a solid scheme would've looked. That's the problem with multi-color, it might look good, but does it look better than if you had just gone with a solid color? I think the Gigabyte Z87 boards just really beg for multi-color schemes, where instead of solid Blue (or Red or Yellow for that matter), you go with Whites/Blacks/Grays using a color as an accent.

I'll post some pics up, I would have completed my build 99% today but then my drill battery died and I forgot to get a battery charger..... oooh, my god, how obnoxious. I can't install anything until I drill out the 140mm fan holes (which I don't even need to do really, there are already so many holes and such in the front grills, but to really make the build complete... gotta drill some oddly spaced ugly holes) since there's shaved metal everywhere from the hole saw.

I also ordered an NZXT white LED 1m. Decided to go 1m instead of 2m because indecisive omg i should have went with 2m... I still can't figure out if a blue LED under the case or a white LED would be better (would the blue look weird with the white light coming out the window? Would white look stupid coming under a computer case?).

I gotta take a pic of just every piece of tooling, gear, and equipment i have for this build. It would fill up an entire room, it's just nuts. I'll post pics later of my sleeve work on the case, front audio, and USB cables.
it is not ur pic it is my pic thx.

Hey Belial,

Sorry, I wasn't criticizing your color choice but actually complimenting it . . . sorry if the message came about wrong.

I tend to work in subdued military colours so I find more than two and it gets a bit too busy. I really liked your choice and it will suit the build nicely. Other multi colours I have seen are a bit overdone with too many contrasting colours whereas yours all contrast nicely and flow. thumb.gif That was my thought process in the reply.

Cheers

Fen
Bad Fenny is offline  
post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Belial is offline  
post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 02:12 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Bad Fenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 261
Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

no, i didn't take your comment as a criticism at all, I was just welcoming anyone who had any criticism.

No problem . . . I just wanted to make sure I did not come off the wrong way. I decided to add a few extra colours to my cabling theme (subdued military that is) to see what it looks like . . . so far it is not bad, kind of makes certain cable stand out amongst a sea of khaki biggrin.gif

Cheers

Fen
Bad Fenny is offline  
post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,585
Rep: 166 (Unique: 142)
Here's the window work:


You need to put painters tape on EVERYTHING. this allows you to run over the steel without scratching it with the jigsaw, as well as hold it firm against the table.



I have to drive to MC, 3 hours away, again, to replace this monitor. Sucks:



There is a weird foil on the USB and audio lines on this case. It might sleeving a bit more difficult.



But not impossible. Painters tape wrapped around it, then sleeve as normal (keeping it on). The tape also adds structure to the sleeving.



The USB 2.0 cables use basically 4 lines on the bottom and top, so it's pretty easy to sleeve (as above). However, the front HD audio cable, uses 5 lines on top and 4 lines spread like 5 lines, so I needed to split the sleeving up into 2 parts for each top/bottom. Double the work vs USB 2.0, despite the same header, basically (ie if you tried to use just one cable for top and bottom, it'd look weird at the header because the sleeving would have to be stretched very wide, it already comes close to looking with with 4 cables on USB 2.0). I simply cut-off the pass-through for AC'97 since there's no use for that.



Even odder, there is a ground line that is wrapped in exposed, and then all of the lines are wrapped in blue foil. Again, painters tape to the rescue (i reworked the foil back on, but only around 2 cables, the one's that'd be it's own sleeve).



Pay-off:



All case cables, speaker sleeved (yea it's small, it was cannibalized and should fit, hidden, when I'm done), and the USB line from the Bitfenix Recon fan controller. The pass-through USB on the Recon is missing, because it makes zero sense for it to have been included in the first place. No cables had to be cut to remove it, you just take off the pins from the middle usb (as seen in picture) since it's on a different row (i think bitfenix says it's so you can use a single USB port with the same USB header as used by the fan controller, but who has a single USB input that ends with an internal *female* header?).

The USB 2.0 on the USB 3.0 should be hidden away, and the painters tape you see won't be visible. On the case cables I used it a few times to indicate what cable is which, when I was planning on wrapping them all with electrical tape (to cover up the end of cable) but you won't notice and I did a good job glueing the cables. That's what I did, I used modeler's glue to attach the paracord in place.



I'm renovating the house, dust is everywhere, this is to protect the parts. My computer case and monitor are not in there, and that closet is absolutely packed, boxes ALL the way up. It's insane. I'll post a picture before I assemble everything of just all the tools, accessories, and parts going into the build. It's nuts.



My window came in today. I have every accessory and part ready, except the NZXT 1m white led (which should arrive a day or two and can be easily installed without having to remove things) and the lazer LED I'll put under the case, and the 3mm or 5mm LED + Wax Paper that I'll replace the Bitfenix eagle on the front of the case with, because I'm not sure what colors to use. You heard me, I'm replacing the silver eagle with a blue or white led. Or maybe not at all, or maybe paint it, I'm not sure what to do but I want to do something.

Oh, I bought like a 1cm wide aluminum bar too. Since I removed my case's CD drive, there needs to be a way for the fan controller to mount. I originally was thinking glue, but I'm going to bend the aluminum bar, drill + screw it to the case, then drill + screw the fan controller using existing holes and screws!

I will assemble the build soon, since my drill battery died, I'm going to ask to borrow the contractor's drill tommorow to make the necessary holes...

Dog caught bird. Nursing it back to health so dog can catch bird again.

Belial is offline  
post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
quakeandbake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 22
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

Dog caught bird. Nursing it back to health so dog can catch bird again.


That made me ROFL.

Citius. Altius. Fortius.
quakeandbake is offline  
post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,585
Rep: 166 (Unique: 142)
Bird is dead.

Last night, I used a thin aluminum metal stick (I'll add a pic later, it's like 1 inch wide, 1/8th inch thick), cut a small ~3 inch piece off. Bent it with pliers, drilled and attached to case, then added screw holes, so I could mount a 5.25" fan controller with no 5.25" bay (since I had removed it for aesthetics/fit h110).

It took a lot longer than I thought, but I'll be assembling the build now, tonight. The NZXT LED should be in tommorow or so, and based on how things look I'll proceed on the final step of adding an LED to the front eagle and under the case. I may also do the H60 mod later, so I can do a before/after comparison with the stock gigabyte 7950 heatsink.
Belial is offline  
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,585
Rep: 166 (Unique: 142)
I'm considering placing a small, SSD sized window on the other side panel. What do you guys think of that, where do you think I should put it.

Like just an SSD hole in the other side panel. Put trim around hole, put small piece of acrylic on it, then put ssd behind it with tape. Maybe tape the ssd to the window piece, then tape window piece to side panel, whatever, doesnt matter how I did it (i could straight up mod an ssd mount there even).

Belial is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off