[Build Log] Belial's Perfect Z87 Build! - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Belial's Perfect Z87 Build!

post #21 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 05:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 537 (Unique: 329)
Talk to me before you go overclockering (:

I don't believe in "good enough"~!!

240hz / gsync / low persistence is AWESOME

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 166 (Unique: 142)
Going to hold off on the SSD window, I think it's better to just hide it. If it had some blue on it it'd be an easier choice, though black/silver of a samsung 830 does match a bit.

Here's a long series of pics guys. Not finished with the build, takes a lot of work to get all these wires right. I'll be running stock 7950 gigabyte first, before slapping on the h60 mod as a comparison too.

Adding the 140mm Fan Holes using 5" (127mm) Lenox Hole Saw and Lenox Arbor 2L, and a 15mm spacing MNPCtech radiator grill pattern.

This is the holes and the 5.25" aluminum clips:

Delid:

When I took out the CD bay, it made the motherboard panel loose, oddly. Added screw for stability. Note the rubber grommets for cable routing holes that I got from a 'source'.

Everything except the aluminum strip. All tools, HID, peripherals, etc:

All PC items and PC accessories

Build at the moment:

All of the USB, Audio, and Case cables are going from under the motherboard (through CPU punch-out). Next I'll be adding the top 2 140mm fans, power supply, and working on cable management.

I decided not to go with pantyhose for fan filters, and just use the front fan filter included with the case, for aesthetics. Normally with pantyhose you just wrap it around the fan, which looks fine on black fans, but it looks terrible on the clear fans I'm using. I will not be using the pictured 'Lady Fayr' pantyhose.
post #23 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Window Taping:

Here's some preview pics! I'm going to install the software side of things for now, and then run the gigabyte 7950 at [email protected] 100% fan (would hit ~75/85 with panel off/on on the sapphire 7950 with same settings) to see which has a better aftermarket cooler. I also wanted to see to make sure everything worked as intended before tying up all the cables (which takes FOREVER and really sucks to undo every cable just to move over a single case cable, ive done it before, perfection is quite exhausting...), and to know where I wanted to hook up all the fans (2 fans will not be hooked up to the controller, i'm not sure which 2 and which motherboard headers I'll plug those 2 fans into) before tying up cables. Also, I wasn't sure if the fan controller can handle 2 fans per channel, or only 1. I'm pretty sure it can only handle 1x140mm per channel, but I'm running 2 which means my fan controller is very hot...

Obviously, cables will be way cleaned up, the h60 will actually be mounted to something, but this gives a general idea of how things look. I like how the lights look, I'm going to order a BLUE Lazer LED to put under the case. Not sure whether to go with 3xLED lazer or 5xLED though, will have to look around a bit. Not sure on replacing the front eagle with an LED either still.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 11:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Is your CPU in the socket? What did you use under-IHS/how did you apply?

post #25 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

CPU is in socket. As you can see from the fans and lights, system is on. w7 just finished installing, i havent' set anything up yet (it's literally at the screen when download finishes and it says like enter pc name).

CLU/CLU on die/ihs, ofc. I apply a thin coat on one die/ihs, and then what's remaining on the brush and using a bit of the extra that might be on the die/ihs, i cover the ihs underside/waterblock with a layer too (i've found that's better than only applying a coat on one side, as others seem to have found too).

I'm going to order a blue Lazer 3-LED light to put under the case, it seems 5 is super bright, might be a bit much.
post #27 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2658 (Unique: 1360)
Man this is looking like a really nice clean build.. nice work you have done thumb.gif

Also i believe as to MOTM users and even yourself can nominate what they post a thread asking for nominations

post #28 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Apparently the bitfenix recon is overheating with 2x140 on a single channel. I'm going to have to either place a bigger heatsink on it, or put a fan on the fan controller (insert xzibit joke). A bit dissapointing. The hot glue is literally melting off and dripping down (just dripped down the fan controller itself, after a day of idling, no mess yet). It seems to me that the fan controller runs hotter when I slow the fans down. Not totally sure on that, but I think so.
post #29 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Skype bro, and you didn't put something nonconductive over the exposed parts next to the die? I'm aware that CLU is not "supposed" to go there, but nobody in the delid thread stepped up to tell us what would happen if they were bridged by something conductive rolleyes.gif
Quote:
CPU is in socket. As you can see from the fans and lights, system is on.

Wow i must have been a lot more tired than i thought when i looked over this thread. Even the monitor is on too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in