[Build Log] Transplant to Corsair Air 540 | i7-4770k Closed Loop H80i | NZXT RGB Hue | No Shenanigans - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Transplant to Corsair Air 540 | i7-4770k Closed Loop H80i | NZXT RGB Hue | No Shenanigans

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 43)
Intro

This is a partial log covering the transition of most of my parts into a new Corsair Carbide Air 540 case. Its also a bit of a back log covering my "New" build from my prior build that happened as Haswell was released. My A8-3850 rig died suddenly and instead of trying to figure out why it wouldn't post i decided a new rig was in order. I salvaged some parts, including my Rosewill Redbone U3 case. After completing the build i was thrilled, but not with my case, mainly because of the lack of cable management. So i got the Corsair 540 and this is my journey from the old rig into the old case but more so my old case to new case.

What to Expect
  • Detailed Experience and Perception with the Corsair Carbide Air 540
  • Lots of Pics (some bad low light shots)
  • Lots of screenshots (some before and after)
  • Details about my build
  • Closed loop H80i Cooling and Simple OC'ing
  • Red Lighting

What NOT to expect
  • Custom...anything
  • Full water cooling
  • Insane hardware
  • Good spelling and grammar

Hardware

• Intel i7-4770k
  • Corsair H80i
  • MSI Z87-G45
  • Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2x8) 2133Mhz RAM
  • MSI N660TI TF 3GB
  • Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SSD
  • Seagate 7200.14 3TB HDD
  • LG WH14NS40 14x BD-RW
  • OCZ 600SXS PSU *NEW* Corsair RM650
  • Corsair Carbide Air 540
  • Rest in sig...

Will also be getting a filter kit for all of the intakes/outlets. Ordered Demciflex filters and they should be here in a week or 2. Since im showing off the inside of the case i want to keep it as clean and maintenance free as possible.

Old Case

I was able to get my 4770k to 4.4Ghz with some basic changes in BIOS, however my temps would hit 100c at load. I thought this was just the chip. I was a bit disappointed with the H80i too but blamed the CPU for the heat.

As you can see below, the Rosewill Redbone does not lend itself to good cable management. I loved the look with the metal mesh and red accents, usb3/esata front ports, and what i thought was reasonable space. I just got to a point where i realized not only did poor cable management look terrible, but it restricted air flow.

Outside of Old case

Inside, a complete disaster. The worst part is the 8 pin cpu cable running across my GTX 660Ti and barely making it. This bothered me but it was the only way the cable would reach.

Load temps @ 4.4Ghz in old case (think i seated/pasted the H80i poorly, 100c load)

Idle temps

Post #2 will be the progress and post #3 the final stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Disassembly

Taking apart the old build. Ill Call it Zer0 version 1 (Zer0v1 or Z1 for shot). As i systematically break everything down and place them aside neatly, i notice something that may be a blessing hidden in disguise.

As i take the H80i off my 4770k i notice that the right half of the CPU has paste on it but the left half does not (looks as if it wasnt touching paste at all, completely clean). This is odd as i placed a thin layer direct to the H80i block and was very careful about placing it on the CPU. The block still has the paste on it but only looks touched (rippled) on the same side the CPU has paste.

This may very well have been the cause of my seemingly high temps! Maybe it will turn out that 100c @ 4.4Ghz full load isnt acceptable as i had convinced myself it may be.

As i pull apart my build i realize more and more how much i dont like working in my Redbone case. It looks ok on the outside for a cheap case, but working in it is terrible.

Pics

Just outside and front of old case

Time to untangle the mess

Backside of old case

Had to run 8pin CPU over GTX 660ti, made me worry

Slowly undoing the cables

Turns out i have a 600 watt PSU, the whole time i thought it was 500 or 550

Undoing H80i and cleaned off the CPU

Mostly bare now

On to the good stuff now...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

New Build Goals
  • Cable management from the start
  • Aesthetics, RED theme
  • Figure out where to mount the rad
  • Use a different method of applying thermal paste

Pics Zer0 v2.0

NZXT RGB Hue & Syba Pci-e USB3 adapter

Corsair Carbide Air 540 Arrives!

Out of the box and i slapped my i7 sticker on it immediately (im a sticker junkie)

Inside empty

After much debate i decide to move one of the stock fans from the front to the top and place rad front at the top. This seems to give me the least tension on tubes and doesnt block the LED on the H80i block

Getting the Z87-G45 in

Mounted H80i, used a vertical thick line of AS5, about the thickness of a case screw

Back of the case

Top with view of stock fan placed back top and in view the rad

PSU side

SSD, HDD and GPU all in place

Inside cable management

PSU side, not as worried about the cables here

Front of the case with RGB Hue controls and BD burner

Inside finished, love the cable management

With side panel on, lights on!

At the desk

Got a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Reserved for more in depth hardware reviews

Temps now about 70c, max 75 at load, still 4.4Ghz at 1.22v so it looks like i screwed up seating the H80i before. Awesome!

EDIT: I will be updating this thread. Ordered a new PSU, got a stand to put the rig on. Been running well for months now. More to come soon!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Not so fast there. I'm sure there are others lurking just like me. I've been watching all the builds and threads on this case. My parts have been arriving all week with the ROG Hero motherboard arriving 20 minutes ago. My GPU seems to be stuck in Amazon limbo, but I can do the build without that. I think the custom water cooled systems seem to be the main interest around here, but like you I'm using a closed loop system. I'm also using a Haswell chip, so (like you I'm sure) I'm interested in seeing how that and the new 1150 motherboards perform.

I'm now hearing that the ROG Hero may have some OC issues. That's going to be a bummer if true and they can't work it out. I almost purchased the same MB as you, but the sound set up on the ROG won me over.

I see you are pulling air into the case with your H80 which is opposite of what most are doing so I'm interested in how that will work out. I'm also waiting to see how those Demciflex filters work out. I want to do the same thing, but now I get to let you work out the kinks smile.gif I want to have a positive air pressure case, but this will be my 1st build so we shall see.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks. Yea im going on my Honeymoon in 2 days so ill be gone for about a week anyway. If more people show interest i can post more stuff but not worth it if im the only one reading it. The filters would have came today but my wife wasnt here when they tried to deliver so hopefully tomorrow. Im real happy with the case. Temps are great, i may even try and push the cpu higher now that i have some thermal headroom. Real happy with the MSI G45 too, i had the extreme4 from asrock and it was junk by comparison. The onboard audio impressed me on the G45 compared to the extreme4, but im not sure how it compares to the Hero. Really like the MSI UEFI bios too. If i had room when i got the cooler id had probably went with the H100i but im pretty happy with the H80i and really like the corsair software too.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
I love this case if only for that massive side window, it's crying out for some braided cables and other aesthetic good stuff

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yea i will likely be replacing the PSU in the not too distant future so i didnt do anything special with sleeving the cables. I also got the demciflex filters and have some pics and thoughts to share on them. Ill post later tonight
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I likey! Looks MUCH better smile.gif A nice red/black sleeved PSU would look great in there.

devil.gif [Official] AMD R9 280X / 280 & 270X Owners Club devil.gif
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yea when i do a new PSU it will definitely be modular to help reduce the clutter in the PSU compartment. This case is by far the easiest case i have ever worked in. Ill post some more pics and in depth review in the coming days

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in