[SCRATCH BUILD] Metro Last Light - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[SCRATCH BUILD] Metro Last Light

post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Wow, I found your project a while ago and I am really glad to see that you continue to improve it. Impressive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seely Sassage View Post

Wow, I found your project a while ago and I am really glad to see that you continue to improve it. Impressive!

Hi Seely,

Glad you are enjoying the build. biggrin.gif I get the distinct impression this is not the typical build that people like so it is nice to meet someone who appreciates the work. BTW the name of your computer "Artyom", I sense you know the game well.

Cheers

Fen
post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

I'm a huge fan of the Metro series (the games and books) So I really appreciate your mod smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Looks really good man, every update I thought at the start "oh boy that's gonna look a bit off" but every step of you way you seriously exceeded my expectations on how tidy it could be. Really creative build!
post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I'm a huge fan of the Metro series (the games and books) So I really appreciate your mod smile.gif

Hi Seely,

I am a big fan of the game as well. Never read the books though. Did you see they are coming out with a redoux of 2033? biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klompet View Post

Looks really good man, every update I thought at the start "oh boy that's gonna look a bit off" but every step of you way you seriously exceeded my expectations on how tidy it could be. Really creative build!

Thanks much. I am glad you are enjoying it. Yeah, I kind of just move it along in whatever direction it needs to go. Not a big rendering / planning "here is what it is going to look like when finished" guy. Ideas kind of float around in my head and then when I need to mod some problem which pops up, I just hunt around my basement or pay a visit to the hardware store biggrin.gif.

Cheers

Fen
post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

I'm really excited for the 2033 redux. I've always wanted that knock down option in 2033!

post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
This looks so cool :O subbed!

post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I'm really excited for the 2033 redux. I've always wanted that knock down option in 2033!

Same . . . looking forward to getting a copy biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwanNLD View Post

This looks so cool :O subbed!

Thanks very much I am glad you enjoyed enough to sub.

Cheers

Fen
post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Air Intake Fan . . . Out of Room

Hi all,

For those new to this build, the concept was three ammunition cans stacked together with two cans (main tower) housing the mobo, HD and two fans (intake and exhaust)and the third can (secondary case) housing the PSU. The original concept was to have the intake fan on the side of the bottom ammunition can of the primary case. However, as I dry fitted pieces in the primary case I soon realized that room was a premium and the intake fan mounted internally would not fit. doh.gif

So I had to come up with an alternative placement. I thought about a fan on the floor of the primary case but ran into the same lack of space issue. I wanted the "air intake" fan low in the case as the exhaust would be at the top. So after some design renderings and a lot of soul searching, I decided to put the intake fan on the outside of the case on the front bottom ammo case.

I was a bit concerned that I was loosing the look of three ammo cans stacked together but when I thought about it, this is a tribute build to the game and while the ammo cans are central, the build is also incorporating items and aspects of the actual game. In the game there are several big fans (I guess air intake/exhaust fans for the Metro) so I figured that placement on the build would still be in keeping with the intent of the tribute to this great game.

The fan was an old Corsair I had lying around and to give it an industrial grit, I gave it a primer coat of "red oxide" followed by a light spray of yellow, more red oxide and finally aged it using charcoal briquette. My original intent was to mount it directly to the front but decided I did not like it sitting there just looking like a computer fan. tongue.gif

So I decided to cover the fan in a shroud which would simulate an intake fan from the game (duct work). Naturally it would have to be beat up, worn, aged, rusted and just plain nasty looking to keep with the apocalyptic theme tongue.gif. First thing was to build the holding frame for the fan. I used sheet aluminum which I cut, bent and pop riveted to the desired shape.

Initial measure/shaping

Fancy bending tool

Frame pieces ready to go

Pop Riveting

Frame finished

The next thing I had to do was to create the top cover which would fit over the frame and be used to mount the fan to. The frame will be pop riveted to the ammo cases so I have a way to the get the fan in and out of the build.

The template

Final cutting (all done with tin snips)

Fancy bending tool back in action

Naturally, I would need some sort of mesh grill for effect and I just happen to have some old wire mesh lying around in my basement. biggrin.gif

Now since this had to look worn, aged, knocked about, etc . . . I did not spare the banging, knocking and scratching while putting it together. Weathering was achieved using a mix of red oxide, grey primer (industrial look)and my favorite weathering medium (charcoal briquette - just crush and rub).

The frame would be pop riveted to the ammo cases over the existing fan opening in order to allow air flow in. The fan would be placed in the frame with the cover secured to the fan (mesh in place).

Final pictures

Hope you enjoyed and any feedback you wish to give is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Fen
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 03:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Subbed, looks great! I have no idea what the game is but I do love the theme it has given you smile.gif

[email protected] name: George_C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in