Industrial Robot CNC Mill Retrofit - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Industrial Robot CNC Mill Retrofit

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 37 (Unique: 31)
Edit: Changed the thread title seeing as how this has very little to do with a computer case...

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been very active recently. Work took over and next thing I know months have gone by.

Anyways, I have been very busy. I managed to get my hands on some newly retired equipment from a fully automated assembly line that was scrapped to make way for "Worker Oriented - Job Creating" assembly work cells (Politics once again stifling the technology industry but what can you do...). These are some of my new toys:

Two of the work cells I was tasked with stripping before being hauled off to the dump:

One of the cells with its guarding removed, leaving the bare robot:

These robots are by Adept Robotics, they are called Cartesian robots, implementing X, Y, and Z axis in addition to Theta (Rotary table) and this one specifically had an industrial screw driver used for final stages of product assembly. We typically do not recycle old machines as it's cheaper to just throw them away. So I snagged three of these robots, and over the last month I have been working on converting them into CNC mills. I am developing two at the same time, one for my own personal use at home, and the other for our department to use for fixing messed up parts the machine shop gives us quite frequently. I'm using 600mm modules for the X and Y axis, and the Z axis is a 250mm module. Each axis has a 400W servo with disk brakes, and encoders with 65,536 points of accuracy per revolution. That means each axis can move incredibly fast, with a significantly heavy load, with repeatable accuracy of less than a thousandth of a millimeter.

I have been developing software for the robot so that it can interpret raw G-Code used traditionally in CNC milling applications. Using this method, the robot can now essentially be used as a CNC mill. I purchased a Bosch 1617EVS router last night, and will be making some brackets to mount it to the Z-axis later today. Yes I have been sharing my bedroom with an industrial robot. Turns out they don't make very good pets, as our electric bill has almost tripled since I brought it home. lol.

The robot installed on the second floor of my parents shed; finishing the install this weekend:

Some of the control used to interface and control the robot:

Testing out th G-Code interpretation code with an expo marker (Many markers were brutally murdered in the process sadly)

The first part! (It's not actually going to be used, but just to see how the calibration was working)

The whole point of me showing that stuff is that before I start making performance automotive parts, I want to get some practice using the machine and to further develop the software and user interface. So what better than build a new computer case?!?!? biggrin.gif

And for those who know my last build Arctic Rain, it's doing very well. I have been running it closed loop as I don't use it that often for gaming these days. Most of my time is now spent on my Sony Vaio Duo ultrabook (Which is fantastic btw)

I've been out of the desktop computer world for a few months now, so I don't know whats been going on in terms of performance specs etc. and this haswell stuff I've skimmed over a while back. So I need ideas. GO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 39)
:bow: You are the King of Thrift now. 3 servo based Cartesian robots that can be converted to CNC mills... Just thought you ought to know.

If you can keep your head about you, when all about you are losing theirs... It's quite possible that you haven't fully grasped the situation.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 69 (Unique: 62)
Impressive! I would have no idea how to tackle anything of that caliber so kudos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Very Nice!

If you can keep your head about you, when all about you are losing theirs... It's quite possible that you haven't fully grasped the situation.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 261 (Unique: 204)
Sweetness

[Build Log] the FooBox - Watercooled 540 AIR, and 2700 threads
Forgive my rants - I am harmless - Nullius in verba after all.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Bit of an update:

These are some prototype parts I've been working on; they're going to be made from 6061 aluminum but until I feel I've developed the software and added some more features, I'm just going to use wood.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Dude, I know I already said this, but you are my hero. How are you planning on cooling your bit with the CNC into the solid aluminum?

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

At the moment, I'm looking into dry milling. I've seen a lot of people doing this type of milling with no water cooling systems. At some point I will raise the robot up about another 1 1/2ft and then I will probably implement a water cooling system

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that you can't, but the heat will degrade your milling bits more quickly. Well, I assume it will just because of high heat of metal to metal milling.

VVV Listen to TLHarrell over me ANYDAY. thumb.gif And I learned something new about CNC routers bits and the wear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in