[Build Log] - Big Basic Folder (BBF) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] - Big Basic Folder (BBF)

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Project Name: Big Basic Folder

General Talk:
This is my first build. I have always bought towards the top of the line from Gateway and Dell. I always had an interest in putting together my own rig, and wasn't super happy with my last Dell (630i) gaming machine. It was one of the last ones Dell built under the Dell name before they switched all gaming rigs to Alienware.

This build and pictures will NOT be near as fancy and as nice as most builds on overclock. But if nothing else, will help me learn how to do a build log and will keep it documented for myself and perhaps will encourage other builders to do a log even if there build isn't outstanding.

The mother board I'm using, Rampage IV Extreme black edition, isn't released yet, so it will be a while before I have all the parts to complete my build. So far, I only have the Haf X case and an optional top fan.

Goals for the Build
I hope to use it mostly for the folding project (and of course my points will go for overclock.net) and perhaps to a lesser extent the SETI project.

I also plan to play some Crysis 1,2,3. I played it some with the 630i, and really enjoyed the game play and awesome graphics.

Other Thoughts
Everyone is very welcome to comment on my build thread. I do wish to keep away from offensive comments however. For example, instead of "You are a XXX for having a X79 Mobo and not water cooling it". I'd much sooner have "You should really consider water cooling, its not too hard and would give your rig a lot of extra speed", etc....

Also, Idle chat is welcome as well, as long as it isn't against some policy on this forum for build logs. I'm very new here yet, so not sure what is acceptable and what is not.

Pictures
All the pictures will be in my profile under the gallery Build 1. I'm hoping to provide links to individual parts here also.
Overall Build so Far:
https://www.overclock.net/g/a/1034289/build-1/

Hardware List and Status
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit System Builder [Bought]
Haf X [Bought]
Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Cooling Fan [Bought-installed]
Asus Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition [Bought]
Intel i7-4930K LGA 2011 [Bought]
EVGA Nvidia Titan SC Edition [Bought]
WD RE 2 TB Enterprise Hard Drive X 4 (raid 10) [Bought - All 4 passed testing!!]
Seasonic SS-1250XM X-Series ATX PSU [Bought]
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 [Bought]
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Quiet CPU Cooler[Bought]
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams[Bought]
StarTech.com 8-Inch ATX12V 4-Pin P4 CPU Power Extension Cable (ATXP4EXT)[Ordered]
Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120 x 25mm Fan (600/900/1200 RPM)[Ordered]
Evercool 80x15mm Med Speed Single Ball Bearing Fan # EC8015M12CA[Ordered]

Updates
-All 4 WD RE drives has passed WD quick and extended (18+ hour) test.
-Motherboard hasn't arrived yet and may still be weeks away.
-Despite the GTX 780 and other cheaper GPU's from AMD, I still decided to go with the Titan. It was delivered 11-5-13. Guy at work tried to talk me out of it due to its 1000 price tag, but among other things, I like its name better.smile.gif

Build Log Index with Links:
https://www.overclock.net/t/1430558/build-log-big-basic-folder-bbf#post_21135522
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldGuy View Post

This build and pictures will NOT be near as fancy and as nice as most builds on overclock.

Ahem...
Quote:

Rampage IV Extreme black edition

...biggrin.gif

(Yeah, I'm aware, a "nice build" is not primarily defined by how high end its
components are, at least IMHO, I was just slightly amused by this wink.gif).
Quote:

I do wish to keep away from offensive comments however.

I haven't been a member here for very long, but I'd been lurking for quite a while before
joining. As far as I can make out, the risk of this happening is not very high around here.
Quote:

Also, Idle chat is welcome as well, as long as it isn't against some policy on this forum for build logs. I'm very new here yet, so not sure what is acceptable and what is not.

It's your build log, as long as discussion doesn't go against site policies
it's mostly up to you and what you will and will not tolerate. If you look at
the super long build logs with thousands of posts it's mostly friendly banter. wink.gif

Welcome, and happy building smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks alpenwasser for your response.

I just ordered a couple parts today and my MOBO is due out next week. So getting excited about my build. I updated the part list to reflect the ordered parts.

I'm also looking at your HELIOS build log. Very impressive. I wish I was more handy at that type stuff. I'm going to follow your build and hopefully learn a few things. But if nothing else, will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Good luck on your build, and stop by anytime. You are always welcome.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Just added 2 more pictures of my build to my profile pictures.

I got the power supply mounted and hooked up to 4 fans. (I plan to hook up to the MOBO, just did this for testing). Even this seems to be a lot of wires. LOL.

I tested each of the 4 drives with WD own Diagnostic program and Crystal disk info. It took over 18 hours for each WD extended test to be completed. I used my netbook and each disk hooked up by an USB/SATA connector kit and the power hooked up to the PSU. All drives tested good, and they are all brand new. I bought directly from amazon even with the higher price over there 3rd party sellers or newegg, due to the horror stories of people receiving used and re-manufactured drives. Or reports of newegg packing the drives badly.

I also registered them all on the WD site and checked out there available warranty. There is no doubt I received brand new. smile.gif

One thing that did surprise me, is my Seasonic SS-1250XM X-Series ATX PSU fan selection was set to hybrid. Meaning the fan don't need to spin unless it feels it needs too. At first, the fan didn't spin during each test, but as the test went on, it spun each time.

With only 1 WD RE 2 TB Drive and 4 fans (1 - 230 MM, 2 - 200 MM, 1 - 140 MM), and also a very cool house (I didn't turn on heat yet when I was doing the tests), I wouldn't think that PSU should have needed to even think of running the fan???

Another then that, all seemed to went well. Still waiting for my Motherboard. It was suppose to come out at the end of October, but now seems more the middle of November before anyone will have one other then a few early testers. I sure hope to have it by Thanksgiving, as I got 3 days off that week to work and play with it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 36)
Quote:

-Despite the GTX 780 and other cheaper GPU's from AMD, I still decided to go with the Titan. It was delivered 11-5-13. Guy at work tried to talk me out of it due to its 1000 price tag, but among other things, I like its name better.smile.gif

Hehe, I like that way of thinking (especially as a fellow Titan owner). biggrin.gif
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Another picture added to the my gallery build. I think I got about all the parts required expect a keyboard/mouse and optical drive. I plan to perhaps use the optical drive that came with my Dell. I couldn't find what I wanted on newegg or amazon. Not sure if i'm going to buy a gaming keyboard/mouse/mouse pad or not.

I got to wait for the mobo due to some dumb game that has to released with it or something. Hope I get it next week.

If anyone sees anything I might have forgot, feel free to let me know.

https://www.overclock.net/g/i/1746821/pretty-much-everything-bought-expect-the-mobo-that-isnt-released-yet-sucks-i-cant-plug-anything-in-due-to-some-dumb-game-they-are-releasing-with-it/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

My motherboard finally came yesterday!! Last night I put in the mobo, memory and CPU. I will be updating pictures and logs hopefully this weekend.

So far, the only surprises is the E-ATX is really more an ATX. It only takes 9 screws instead of 12 as a standard E-ATX would. This is good as it gives me more room in the case and don't cover my grommets.

I really didn't enjoy putting in the CPU. Pushing down that lever and hearing some crunching sound don't make me feel too easy. Hopefully, all is good and I'll feel relieved when/if it boots up into windows 7.

Copied the drivers on USB disk today for my RAID array that they claim is necessary when you install windows 7 via RAID.

I noticed the power cables from my Seasonic are really stiff. When I hook up my HDD's in there HDD tray the cable sticks out an inch or so making it impossible to get my side door close. I kind of wish there was a little more room for cables on the side panel. I think I'll try skipping a HDD with each "Nipple" on the cord. Since there is only 3 nipples per wire, I need to use 2 wires there anyway to hook up all 4 drives up and leaving one nipple in the right position to feed the last unused HDD tray. Hard to explain, but don't think its too hard to get around that. If anyone can understand what I just said, and knows any tips, I'm all ears. smile.gif

Tonight I plan to:
1. Put cooler on it
2. Install OC Panel in Drive Bay
3. Install DVD Drive from old PC
4. Install Graphic Card
5. Connect case connections to Mobo
6. Connect Fans, HDD's, DVD player to Mobo
7. Run all power from PSU to Mobo and everything else needed power. (due to stiff wires and such, this may not be too easy)
8. Fire up BIOS and enable my RAID
9. Attempt to install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and use my SATA RAID drivers when it ask me for them.

So should be fun, who knows what will happen.

I want to use Microsoft Office with it over the weekend. Will see how that goes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hey everyone. I posted about 12 new photos to my profile of various stages of my new build. I did the stuff I have listed above. I wrote some captions on my photo's of my experience. Was something. I got a few more things to do yet however, but do have the system well up and running. Using it now to update this and been steaming video and folding on it.

I'll post my detailed experience of the adventure here: (it will be filled in little by little)

(detailed build will go here)

What I need to do yet:
1. I need to organize the wires. This is necessary for a nicer, cooler running build and also to install my VGA duct and VGA holder that comes with my Haf X case. If I route the wires better, I should have room for both of them. I also plan to put fans into each of them. Hopefully this will not increase the noise much and will keep my already cool running build a tad bit cooler.

2. I need to register all my parts. So far, only registered my 4 WD HDD's.

3. Need to figure out how to get 2400 MHz, out of my memory. Right now I'm running at 1333.3 instead. If I enable XMP, i get an unstable machine. I think its got to do with not having the top power connected and/or settings or possible both. I'm going to use this board (probably the Rampage iv black edition owners forum) for help in this matter. It is however, stable at the lower speed. Been folding and have ran prime95 with no problems. (had 1 crash, but was a nvidia driver error)

4. Need to figure out some software stuff. I want to get the virtual mac I have at work, working here. My first attempts wasn't successfully, but didn't put much time into it yet. Also need to get Itunes on the new build with my entire library so I can backup my Iphone to it instead of my very underpowered netbook.

5. Decided to get the Intel Tuning Plan for just $35. Under this plan, if your chip breaks due to overclocking, they will replace it one time free. I really don't plan to overclock in the traditional sense, but memory overclocking to my rated memory of 2400 on 8 sticks, is considered overclocking. And the memory controller anymore is on the chip itself. So I feel I will get this warranty, then wait a month for it to take effect, then attempt again to get my rated 2400 speed.

What I'm happy about:
1. Case is just awesome. Love its looks and how nice it was to work with. Also has a very respectable noise level and is keeping all the parts respectfully cool.

2. All 8 sticks of memory and all 6 SATA ports (that I had stuff plugged into) was recognized right away in the BIOS. Despite what some says, the ASMedia ports can indeed be used to hook up optical drives. Works flawless with both of mine and one was used to install windows 7 with. (I was worried about this, as I have the 4 internal intel ones used on the RAID 10)

What I'm not super happy about: (least so far)
1. My RAID 10 was expected to be much slower then a SSD, but to be honest, its slower then I would have thought. It does make all the clicks and buzzes I was hoping it would, but don't quite the speed I was expecting. In windows experience, it rates at a 6.2. (processor is 7.8, all else is 7.9 even with the memory only running at 1333.3)

2. I found out that I could only see 2 gig of my hard drive in windows which is 4 gig of RAID. Using software that came with my board, I was able to trick it into seeing the extra 2 gig and putting it on another drive letter. So my 4 gig RAID 10 basically appears as 2 drives. Which isn't too bad, but thought the days of having a "drive D" was long in the past.

3. I ran virtual box and put Unbuntu on it so far, and my unbuntu experinence wasn't as good as I would have liked. I was hoping with all this power, and with VT-X in my chip, I would be able to run virtual machines in Virtual Box nearly as if it was the primary OS.

4. Unique Heaven runs ok, but does have skips in it like. Also, when I play Crysis demo version, I don't really see where its any better then my 2 9800's SLI I ran quite a few years ago. I guess I was expected better FPS's and higher definition or something with the Titan. Again, didn't really experiment too much with it yet.

5. My PPD on folding is only 50K. That is with all 12 threads of my processor and Titan folding. Again, was expecting more.

That's all I have for now, will update this post again soon. I realize nobody will most likely read all this, but doing this log for me more then anymore. But if anyone does read this, they are very welcome to post any comments they may have.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ordered 3 more parts for the (BBF).

StarTech.com 8-Inch ATX12V 4-Pin P4 CPU Power Extension Cable (ATXP4EXT)
Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120 x 25mm Fan (600/900/1200 RPM)
Evercool 80x15mm Med Speed Single Ball Bearing Fan # EC8015M12CA

This weekend I plan to attempt to install:
1. Another power connection (4 pin) to the MOBO (with help of extension above)
2. VGA Bracket (with the 80x15 fan above)
3. VGA Air Duct (with the 120x25 fan above)
4. Connect the Modular Power and the top SATA connection to my hotswap Drive plate. I don't have an 4 TB HDD to add to the hotswap bay now, but will make it easy to add one in the future, as I need one to perform window backups of my RAID 10. As it is now, I have no backup solution on my RAID 10. I plan to use a WD HDD in the hot swap to backup too, and will use a external HDD to backup it at certain times. (I personally hate to have to re-do all the work once i get everything working right, so I prefer entire system backups as opposed to just backing up datafiles)
5. Re-route the existing 8 pin power connection behind the mobo, which may make it possible to install the above.
6. Attempt to blow dust out of my system. In the 3.5 months its been in operation, I have already picked up a good bit of dust in the fans and in the unit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in