[Build Log] i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti SLI - Corsair 750D - Custom Liquid Cooling - Page 12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti SLI - Corsair 750D - Custom Liquid Cooling

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #111 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
IBIubbleTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 175
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon6199 View Post

UPDATE:

Finally was able to mount my XSPC Photon 170 res w/ D5 pump into my 750D. I'm quite happy with the result thumb.gif














How did you drill the back plate?
IBIubbleTea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
brandon6199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,685
Rep: 75 (Unique: 69)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwing View Post

Uhhh zip ties for the res??? Please tell me no your not building a beautiful build with zip ties... U painted the nuts for gods sake and ur using zip ties?? Lol

Haha... well the zip ties aren't what's actually holding it to the case. It's the 2 screws that I drilled holes in the backplate are for. To be honest, the only reason you can see those zip ties is because I took the pictures with flash on, whereas if the setup was complete and the PC was on, you'd barely be able to see them since they are black. I see your point though. I'm far from finished, so I may be able to find an alternative solution to the zip ties. I like them because they keep the res/pump even more secure than just using the screws alone. That res/pump combo is a lot heavier than it looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBIubbleTea View Post

How did you drill the back plate?

Used a power drill with a drill bit. It's definitely a thick piece of aluminum. Took a while to actually drill all the way through, but it worked. thumb.gif
brandon6199 is offline  
post #113 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 01:59 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Aemonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 467
Rep: 55 (Unique: 43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon6199 View Post

Haha... well the zip ties aren't what's actually holding it to the case. It's the 2 screws that I drilled holes in the backplate are for. To be honest, the only reason you can see those zip ties is because I took the pictures with flash on, whereas if the setup was complete and the PC was on, you'd barely be able to see them since they are black. I see your point though. I'm far from finished, so I may be able to find an alternative solution to the zip ties. I like them because they keep the res/pump even more secure than just using the screws alone. That res/pump combo is a lot heavier than it looks.
Used a power drill with a drill bit. It's definitely a thick piece of aluminum. Took a while to actually drill all the way through, but it worked. thumb.gif

An alternative to zip ties to help stabilize the res: get some industrial grade double sided tape. Cost you around $10 or so dollars. Build it up in layers... preferably thicker than the standoff the bolt goes through, this way when you bolt it on, you can squeeze the tape together to get a snug fit. Just be careful not to tighten too tight or the mount will be slightly cooked toward the side of the bolt (i noticed they aren't centered).

Of course, if you're happy with the zip ties, then by all means leave them. Build the machine to your liking thumb.gif. Though, double sided tape is a really simple alternative and often its the small details (like a clean mount) that you end up appreciating over time!
Aemonn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #114 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 02:03 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Jamaican Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NSW,Australia
Posts: 3,283
Rep: 122 (Unique: 98)
Nothing wrong with running zip ties,i'm currently using them on my res bracket to hold my res down onto my HDD cage....


Currently Playing...Titanfall...Watch Dogs...Skyrim...Murdered~Soul Suspect...DayZ...BF4...

Up Next...Enemy Front...Sniper Elite 3...Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor...The Division...The Crew...

''When you're drawing up your list of life's miracles,you might place near the top,the very first moment your baby smiled at you''
Jamaican Reaper is offline  
post #115 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
brandon6199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,685
Rep: 75 (Unique: 69)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwing View Post

Uhhh zip ties for the res??? Please tell me no your not building a beautiful build with zip ties... U painted the nuts for gods sake and ur using zip ties?? Lol

Your concerns have been addressed thumb.gif I appreciate the constructive criticism. You're right.

Hey guys, quick update. I've completely done away with the zip ties! I've found an alternative solution. You're all right, using zip ties, although effective, would not be right to use in a build like this where you'll be able to see it. I drilled two new larger holes in the photon bracket, used larger and longer screws, and used a nut to completely fasten it down through the other side. My Photon res is as solid as a rock with this new method. It's completely rigid as opposed to the old method where the zip ties were only used to prevent it from wobbling. I'll also be using black rubber washers to prevent any vibration from the pump resonating with the case.

Let me know your thoughts.











My workspace... very messy. lol.



Can't believe I didn't think of using a longer bolt with a nut to fasten it on the other side. I wish you guys could see how solid the mount is now. It won't even budge. thumb.gif

Also, there's not much I can do about those extra holes on the bracket now... luckily the res will be covering most of it. I'm probably going to be painting the bracket with my matte black paint within the next couple days to get rid of all of the marks, etc.

I would post pics of the res mounted, however I painted the nuts and bolts black and am waiting for them to dry. I'll have the final mounted pics uploaded tonight.
brandon6199 is offline  
post #116 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 04:04 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Aemonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 467
Rep: 55 (Unique: 43)
Aemonn is offline  
post #117 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
darwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,027
Rep: 41 (Unique: 38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon6199 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Haha... well the zip ties aren't what's actually holding it to the case. It's the 2 screws that I drilled holes in the backplate are for. To be honest, the only reason you can see those zip ties is because I took the pictures with flash on, whereas if the setup was complete and the PC was on, you'd barely be able to see them since they are black. I see your point though. I'm far from finished, so I may be able to find an alternative solution to the zip ties. I like them because they keep the res/pump even more secure than just using the screws alone. That res/pump combo is a lot heavier than it looks.
Used a power drill with a drill bit. It's definitely a thick piece of aluminum. Took a while to actually drill all the way through, but it worked. thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon6199 View Post

Your concerns have been addressed thumb.gif I appreciate the constructive criticism. You're right.

Hey guys, quick update. I've completely done away with the zip ties! I've found an alternative solution. You're all right, using zip ties, although effective, would not be right to use in a build like this where you'll be able to see it. I drilled two new larger holes in the photon bracket, used larger and longer screws, and used a nut to completely fasten it down through the other side. My Photon res is as solid as a rock with this new method. It's completely rigid as opposed to the old method where the zip ties were only used to prevent it from wobbling. I'll also be using black rubber washers to prevent any vibration from the pump resonating with the case.

Let me know your thoughts.











My workspace... very messy. lol.



Can't believe I didn't think of using a longer bolt with a nut to fasten it on the other side. I wish you guys could see how solid the mount is now. It won't even budge. thumb.gif

Also, there's not much I can do about those extra holes on the bracket now... luckily the res will be covering most of it. I'm probably going to be painting the bracket with my matte black paint within the next couple days to get rid of all of the marks, etc.

I would post pics of the res mounted, however I painted the nuts and bolts black and am waiting for them to dry. I'll have the final mounted pics uploaded tonight.

I'm glad u addressed my concerns. With the build type a quick fix over the right fix is always wrong. You are pouring a ton of money and time into this build so it's worth going over every detail.

The way I do my builds is I try to imagine selling it and if someone would want to pay for the work I did. It needs to be solid and professional like factory builds..

You strayed for a second but more then redeemed yourself good work!
darwing is offline  
post #118 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:44 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Jakewat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand, Auckland
Posts: 450
Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Coming along nicely, just need them blocks to arrive and you'll be up and running in no time smile.gif. Now that I've seen the photon in your build I think I've decided it's too small lol.

On another note, I'm sorry to rant again but please learn how to use either spoiler tags or cutting out the images in your quotes because it spams the thread with unnecessary double-ups of brandons posts and is annoying to scroll through.
In specific I'm talking to darwing and MxPhenom 216, not to sound mad.
Jakewat is offline  
post #119 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
vallonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 541
Rep: 42 (Unique: 36)
Yes, zip tieing the res was a flogging offense, there’s nooo denying it brothers, but that has been rectified now so aaall is forgiven. We won’t have to flog the cousin. …good…good. wink.gif


@OP
Build is coming along nicely, I'm certain you'll be happy with it. thumb.gif
vallonen is offline  
post #120 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 06:32 PM
NOT New to OCN
 
SOCOM_HERO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: OH
Posts: 1,973
Rep: 47 (Unique: 43)
Very nice build, you might get more ideas as you go from singularity computers YT channel. He has given me many ideas, but I don't have the cash to put them into reality.

He is currently doing a customer build in a 900d...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui76EwdvloA

A nice vid for downtime...


SOCOM_HERO is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off