[Build Log] i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti SLI - Corsair 750D - Custom Liquid Cooling - Page 18 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti SLI - Corsair 750D - Custom Liquid Cooling

post #171 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny99 View Post

Sorry, I didn't think it was a big deal, and pretty sure quoting a single post isn't spamming. Just looking for a friendly answer.
Nono, it's just it takes up alot of space.

Anyway forgot to actually answer tongue.gif. According to the thread I think he bought ten compressions and a few rotary angle fittings, the tubing being used comes in retail packs of 10ft lengths which is usually enough to rig a setup such as brandons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Great build and a huge help.
Im looking at starting a new and probably final build in the new year and was going to go with a water cooling system and SLi GTX 780 Ti's.
Problem has been deciding on a case that will give me enough room to be able to cool an overclocked CPU and 2xGPU's.
I started off pinning for an Obsidian 900D but then after seeing it in the flesh and realizing how enormous it was I went back to the drawing board.
All is looking pretty rad and I cant wait to see the final build.
Keep up the great work!!
thumb.gif
post #173 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 05:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakewat View Post

Anyway forgot to actually answer tongue.gif. According to the thread I think he bought ten compressions and a few rotary angle fittings, the tubing being used comes in retail packs of 10ft lengths which is usually enough to rig a setup such as brandons.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what kinda coolant he plans on using? Probably distilled water and food coloring...I guess I'm going to use that. I'm wondering if motorsport antifreeze would cool well. From what I understand, it's not corrosive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hi,

First off, awesome build! Looks like it's coming together very well.thumb.gif I have a very similar set up in mind and accumulated must of the components already. Just trying to decide SLI GTX 780 ti vs. CFX 290x, both with custom watercooling loop. Few quick questions if you don't mind.

1.) How did you get the M6F to fit on the 750D? It sounds like you removed the central post on the 750D? Which screws did you end up using to secure the mobo? Did you have to use a nut or any sort of spacer underneath the mobo and on top of the case post to fill in the gap?
2.) Do you think an AX860 would be enough to power dual 780ti? How about dual 290x? Unfortunately I purchased the AX860 already.

Thank you so much!
post #175 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSU317 View Post

Hi,

First off, awesome build! Looks like it's coming together very well.thumb.gif I have a very similar set up in mind and accumulated must of the components already. Just trying to decide SLI GTX 780 ti vs. CFX 290x, both with custom watercooling loop. Few quick questions if you don't mind.

1.) How did you get the M6F to fit on the 750D? It sounds like you removed the central post on the 750D? Which screws did you end up using to secure the mobo? Did you have to use a nut or any sort of spacer underneath the mobo and on top of the case post to fill in the gap?
2.) Do you think an AX860 would be enough to power dual 780ti? How about dual 290x? Unfortunately I purchased the AX860 already.

Thank you so much!

It depends. If you are overclocking, I'd go with a 1000w to be safe. The 290x can be pretty power demanding, and so can the 780ti. In fact, If you decide to amp of your PSU, I'd be very willing to buy your 860. I will only have 1 780ti, so it'd be perfect, just message me if you're interested thumb.gif

post #176 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Hi Brandon,

I've been looking to watercool my setup at the moment and after looking through alot of different build setups and recommendations I stumbled accross yours and fell in love. I had picked almost the same parts and love how everything is coming together and i decided to join up just so i could subscribe. I recently ordered my XSPC Photon 170 pump/res combo the other day and should arrive very soon and next week im going to order the rads and maybe my waterblocks.

What were your thoughts on using the standard AF140l's that come with the 750d until the SP140's come out? is it a big performance drop?
Also would you have been able to mount the res/pump any higher than what you have as i want to mount a front 280mm alphacool 45mm rad but still want to use one of the hdd bays to mount my hdds in near the psu but from your pics it looks to sit where the bottom of the res/pump are?

cheers for your build guide and i'm loving it,
Nathan thumb.gifthumb.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #177 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 69)
Quote:

How many compression fittings and how much tubing length did you use?

I've used 10 compression fittings, but purchased about 13 fittings. I have a few left over. If only the M6F motherboard had a copper block for the northbridge instead of the integrated aluminum block, I'd throw that into the loop as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakewat View Post

Correct. I purchased the retail pack of 10ft PrimoChill LRT Pro, and have only used about half so far. Plenty of tubing left over, good for when I fill the Photon res.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD81 View Post

Great build and a huge help.
Im looking at starting a new and probably final build in the new year and was going to go with a water cooling system and SLi GTX 780 Ti's.
Problem has been deciding on a case that will give me enough room to be able to cool an overclocked CPU and 2xGPU's.
I started off pinning for an Obsidian 900D but then after seeing it in the flesh and realizing how enormous it was I went back to the drawing board.
All is looking pretty rad and I cant wait to see the final build.
Keep up the great work!!
thumb.gif

Thanks for the feedback thumb.gif I felt the same exact way when I saw the Corsair 900D in person. It's just too large for what I intended to do with this build. It then came down to the 800D or 750D, and I eventually went with the 750D because I liked the way it looked more, and it was a bit smaller. All in all, I'm very happy I went with the 750D. Awesome case. Keep in mind that I'm also running a CPU and 2xGPU's in my build, and I'm using a 750D. Look at the pics to determine if it's enough room that you're comfortable with. thumb.gif
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what kinda coolant he plans on using? Probably distilled water and food coloring...I guess I'm going to use that. I'm wondering if motorsport antifreeze would cool well. From what I understand, it's not corrosive.

I haven't filled the loop yet (plan on doing that tonight), but I'm using distilled water + mayhems biocide extreme + mayhems deep red dye
Quote:

Hi,

Thank you so much!

Thanks man thumb.gif

1.) To get the M6F to fit in the 750D, see this post: https://www.overclock.net/t/1441615/build-log-i7-4770k-gtx-780-ti-sli-corsair-750d-custom-liquid-cooling/130#post_21351152

I removed the center standoff, and used 6-32 3/8" screws, and a little bit of muscle, to mount it into the case tongue.gif There is no need to use a nut or spacer with this method, unless you wish to do so.

2.) Yes. I've actually confirmed this myself with dual 780 Ti's. The current build that I'm running at stock was able to be powered by an AX860i with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Mind you, that's just at stock. I upgraded to the AX1200i just in case, and since I'm planning on some heavy overclocks, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanblandford View Post

Hi Brandon,

I've been looking to watercool my setup at the moment and after looking through alot of different build setups and recommendations I stumbled accross yours and fell in love. I had picked almost the same parts and love how everything is coming together and i decided to join up just so i could subscribe. I recently ordered my XSPC Photon 170 pump/res combo the other day and should arrive very soon and next week im going to order the rads and maybe my waterblocks.

What were your thoughts on using the standard AF140l's that come with the 750d until the SP140's come out? is it a big performance drop?
Also would you have been able to mount the res/pump any higher than what you have as i want to mount a front 280mm alphacool 45mm rad but still want to use one of the hdd bays to mount my hdds in near the psu but from your pics it looks to sit where the bottom of the res/pump are?

cheers for your build guide and i'm loving it,
Nathan thumb.gifthumb.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thanks Nathan thumb.gif I've always wanted to do a build like this. Finally got a chance to do so.

I was not impressed with the standard 140mm fans that came with the 750D. They seem like cheaper quality AF140's that you can buy separately online. Very generic and nothing special at all. One of them actually broke, and the other two were noisier than they should be and didn't even move that much air. I ended up removing all of them and replaced them with the fans that I have now.

Also, I would not use AF140's for any type of situation where the airflow would be restricted by a radiator. They are not pressure optimized and I would not use them to cool a radiator. The only AF140 I have in my case is for the rear exhaust, where it doesn't have to push air through any object. The (3) 120mm's that I have mounted to my XT45 360mm rad are SP120's, and the (2) front 140mm intake fans that are cooling my UT60 280mm rad are Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PK-3s.... AWESOME fans. They are just perfect in every way. By far the best 140mm radiator fans I've personally used, and much better than the Cougar fans that they replaced.

As long as you have a power drill and drill bits, you can mount the Photon res pretty much anywhere you'd like on the motherboard tray. However, you may have to remove the 5.25" drive bays in order for it to go higher than where it is in my case. For me, the location of the res/pump is perfect, although I had to remove both HDD cages (which doesn't bother me, as I mounted my HDD in the 5.25" bays)

If you want to mount your HDD's near the PSU's and still use the Photon res, you're going to have to get creative, and probably have to remove the 5.25" drive bays.

PS - thanks for checking out my build log. If all goes well, I'm planning on finishing the loop tonight, filling it up, and begin leak testing. And then, hopefully I'll get to use it tomorrow. It's been a long 2 weeks where I had no PC... getting sick of my Macbook pro lol.
post #178 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 11:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon6199 View Post

1.) To get the M6F to fit in the 750D, see this post: https://www.overclock.net/t/1441615/build-log-i7-4770k-gtx-780-ti-sli-corsair-750d-custom-liquid-cooling/130#post_21351152

I removed the center standoff, and used 6-32 3/8" screws, and a little bit of muscle, to mount it into the case tongue.gif There is no need to use a nut or spacer with this method, unless you wish to do so.

2.) Yes. I've actually confirmed this myself with dual 780 Ti's. The current build that I'm running at stock was able to be powered by an AX860i with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Mind you, that's just at stock. I upgraded to the AX1200i just in case, and since I'm planning on some heavy overclocks, etc.
Thanks Nathan thumb.gif I've always wanted to do a build like this. Finally got a chance to do so.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I forgot to mention that I did look at the linked post, but I wasn't sure how you removed the central post? Did you simply cut it off? If so, with what power tool? I apologize for my lack of experience, never modded a case before biggrin.gif. I guess without the central post, the mobo will sit flush against the other mounting spots?

I think I will upgrade to a 1000+W PSU too, probably for the 290xs.

Thanks again.
post #179 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 75 (Unique: 69)
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I forgot to mention that I did look at the linked post, but I wasn't sure how you removed the central post? Did you simply cut it off? If so, with what power tool? I apologize for my lack of experience, never modded a case before biggrin.gif. I guess without the central post, the mobo will sit flush against the other mounting spots?

I think I will upgrade to a 1000+W PSU too, probably for the 290xs.

Thanks again.

Not a problem smile.gif

The only tool you need in order to remove the center standoff in the 750D is a nice set of pliers. It's actually a screw, so you just need to get a good grip on it and loosen the screw and pull it out. You don't need any power tools, etc. Very simple.

Without the center standoff, the M6F with the backplate will *almost* sit perfectly flush with the other mounting spots. You may notice that it doesn't line up perfectly at first, but just almost. What I had to do was put pressure against the motherboard towards the I/O shield plate with one hand, while screwing it in with the other. This is why I mentioned you need to kinda wrestle with it, since the I/O shield plate naturally pushes the motherboard away from the rear of the case, making it so that the screw holes in the motherboard and case are slightly offset. Again, this can be easily corrected with a helping hand, or if you put pressure on it yourself and screw it down.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds, but it's much easier if you have someone else holding the motherboard and lining up the screw holes for you. Once you put the first couple screws in, the rest line up perfectly and allow you to screw it in with very little effort. thumb.gif
post #180 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 11:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon6199 View Post

Not a problem smile.gif

The only tool you need in order to remove the center standoff in the 750D is a nice set of pliers. It's actually a screw, so you just need to get a good grip on it and loosen the screw and pull it out. You don't need any power tools, etc. Very simple.

Without the center standoff, the M6F with the backplate will *almost* sit perfectly flush with the other mounting spots. You may notice that it doesn't line up perfectly at first, but just almost. What I had to do was put pressure against the motherboard towards the I/O shield plate with one hand, while screwing it in with the other. This is why I mentioned you need to kinda wrestle with it, since the I/O shield plate naturally pushes the motherboard away from the rear of the case, making it so that the screw holes in the motherboard and case are slightly offset. Again, this can be easily corrected with a helping hand, or if you put pressure on it yourself and screw it down.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds, but it's much easier if you have someone else holding the motherboard and lining up the screw holes for you. Once you put the first couple screws in, the rest line up perfectly and allow you to screw it in with very little effort. thumb.gif

Thank you for the detailed explanation! Will attempt to do this tonight smile.gif.

I was actually able to muscle the board on with the central stand-off in place but wasn't happy with how much pressure it was putting on the board and the gap between the board and the other mounting posts.

Good luck on filling the loop and leak testing tonight! thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in