Finally got around to those acrylic updates I have been promising.
One of the ideas I never got around to the first time thru was a PSU Shroud/Partition. Where I'm living acrylic costs an arm and a leg so my first attempts involved some 3mm MDF and a few bits of Angle Iron. This worked well but left a lot of visible joins and was pretty flimsy once I added the "Shelf" piece.
So after a whole bunch of umming and ahhing and not really getting anywhere I ditched the MDF idea and went and bought some White Acrylic. This acrylic is 3mm thick and slightly opaque which gives me the option for masked back lighting down the track.
After staring at the piece for a few days I finally laid down some cuts and then spent the rest of the week biting my nails about the best way to bend a sheet this size (500mm). Being the bending noob I am I started out with a few tests strips all with shocking results.
The piece of acrylic I was working with was very old and would just melt, warp and bubble….Not good:( I really couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong so I decided to try a “Fresher” sheet thinking maybe the old stuff was just to sun and age damaged.
Success a near perfect bend first try. Much better. So just a little tip if you want to bend acrylic use NEW stuff it bends a lot better.
So Starting with the smaller bends I got to work on my rear I/O cover. This will cover the interior silver eyesore which for some reason every motherboard has.
I got this idea from Asus’s latest mobo the rampage iv black edition x79 which features a cover and heatsink in one.
I got the bends down fairly easily, so now I just have decide on what sort of finish I will do to complete the look. But that can wait for now.
Moving on to the larger PSU shroud/partition bend my main issue was finding something with a large enough area to bend it on. More scouting round the house I found some old shelves which worked perfectly once flipped on its side. After a few touch and go moments and a whole bunch of hoping I got it done first try. Thank the modding gods as acrylic costs an absolute fortune where I am.
And a small test fitting.
With the PSU cover bent I can start working on the finer details of the piece. I have this idea of a “Water Column” in the front of the PSU side of the case. This is where the show loop comes into play. In short the plan is to have a large reservoir full of lovely Mayhems Aurora running from the top of the case to the floor.
After a heap of messing round I managed to get everything marked out and cut. I only had a 54mm hole saw which will be perfect for the thinner 50mm reservoirs, but if I end up going for a thicker 60mm Res I may have to hack this out a bit more. (These cuts haven’t been cleaned up at all in these pics.)
I am kind of holding off on doing to much more with this at this stage as I am holding out for the release of the Primochill CTR II Reservoirs.
Well that’s it for now I will hopefully get some more bits and pieces up in the next week.