[Build Log] "Acid Rain" Compact Splash #054 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] "Acid Rain" Compact Splash #054

post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Compact Splash #054 Acid Rain

Hello all, and welcome to my first build log! I am very excited to have gotten my hands on one of She Loved E's designed mini-itx cases. A Compact Splash, number 054/105. biggrin.gif

A little history first. I've been building rigs for about 5 years now, mainly for friends and family. I finally built my own rig almost three years ago. It consisted of a NZXT Phantom, EVGA X58 Mobo, i7 950, and SLI GTX 470's. I loved that thing and it served it purpose while I had it. However, it was large, noisy, and hot. With the release of Haswell and the GTX 700 series, I decided it was time to upgrade. Well after going back and forth a lot about what I wanted to do, I ended up with an i5 3570k and a GTX 770 in a Bitfenix Prodigy around July of this year. This is what she looked like last month before I tore her down.

Awesome little case but after completing this build I discovered this site and all its awesome Build Logs. Well sufficient to say I was blown away and immediately went into modding my case. I'm the type of person that strives to be unique as possible with my stuff, especially when it comes to computers, and especially my car. LOL. biggrin.gif Well as much I loved my Prodigy I wanted something even smaller. I love the philosophy of cramming as much power into the smallest form factor. This is when I stumbled across SLE's Splash scratch build. It was love at first site and I immediately joined the wait-list to purchase one of these beauties.

Well as of December 2, 2013, I am the proud owner of Compact Splash #054. It will be arriving, according to USPS, on December 11.

This build will be a green, black theme. As I usually name by computers based on some sort of weather condition, I chose the name Acid Rain for this build. My 3570k from my Prodigy build has been sold and upgraded to a 4770k. Microcenter had a killer dealer on them a few weeks back for $199 and I couldn't resist. It was also an excuse to purchase the ASUS ROG Impact board that I've had my eye one. Anyways, enough text, on to the component list. biggrin.gif

Components
  • i7 4770k
  • ASUS ROG Impact Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Dominator RAM
  • EVGA GTX 770 SC
  • Samsung 840 240GB SSD
  • Western Digital Black 750GB HDD
  • Silverstone SFX 450W Gold PSU

Cooling

• Radiators: XSPC EX120, RS240 (Left over from my first kit, will be replaced)
  • Pump/Res: EK-DDC 3.2 PWM X-RES 100
  • Fittings: Alphacool
  • CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm
  • GPU Block: EK Acetal GTX770
  • Fans: Cougar CFD Green LED (To Be Purchased)

As this if my first log, please let me know if I should add anything or if you guys would like more detail about certain things.

Thanks!

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Updates

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 12)
As a hopeful future Compact Splash owner (if Kyle would get online so I can send him my $ tongue.gif) I am definitely subbed! Love the green and black color scheme, too!

I'm thinking about upgrading to that Maximus board myself, mind letting me know how you like it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclk View Post

As a hopeful future Compact Splash owner (if Kyle would get online so I can send him my $ tongue.gif) I am definitely subbed! Love the green and black color scheme, too!

I'm thinking about upgrading to that Maximus board myself, mind letting me know how you like it?

Glad to have you!

I will most certainly tell you how like the board. From just looking at today, I can tell you it's a really high quality board. I really love all the features it provides on an ITX sized Mobo. thumb.gif

post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks! I agree it looks awesome, and I'm really glad they didn't drop any of the features that were on the Z87I-Deluxe (namely, 802.11ac Wi-Fi). How does the antenna on this board actually get connected, though? I think it's been edited out of all the press pictures I could find.

Also, if you have a chance, would you mind measuring how tall the daughterboard for the sound components is? I'm thinking about trying to do mostly straight tubing runs in my Splash and was hoping to have tubing go straight up from the left GPU port up to the CPU inlet.

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

As requested biggrin.gif

Wifi Antennae

The sound card's tallest point is roughly 1.5" it then tapers to 1.25" and then finally to about 1". Here's a pic of it installed. Hope this helps!

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

THANK YOU!!! I was wondering where the hell the wires for that thing were. And hmmm...looks like the daughter board will be too tall for my original plan (to have tubes run flat over the top of the GPU, right-angle up toward the CPU, and then righ-angle into the block). You have any idea if running the tubes straight up from the GPU and then right-angle them straight into the CPU block would interfere with the PSU? Seems like they would which might mean no daugterboard for me.

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclk View Post

THANK YOU!!! I was wondering where the hell the wires for that thing were. And hmmm...looks like the daughter board will be too tall for my original plan (to have tubes run flat over the top of the GPU, right-angle up toward the CPU, and then righ-angle into the block). You have any idea if running the tubes straight up from the GPU and then right-angle them straight into the CPU block would interfere with the PSU? Seems like they would which might bean no daugterboard for me.

You are very welcome! biggrin.gif

As for the tubes interfering with the PSU, I have no idea. I'm not sure what the clearance is like between the PSU and mobo. Sorry. redface.gif

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 AM
./

Rep: 9 (Unique: 5)
Nice, looking forward to the build. thumb.gif
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Location: Chittagong/Dhaka , Bangladesh + born in Dubai , U.A.E
Rep: 48 (Unique: 30)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in