Belial's Comprehensive Guide to LEDs! - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Belial's Comprehensive Guide to LEDs!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Maybe add a comparison or some recommended kits? nzxt, bitfenix, and icemodz are the companies i can think of.

I'm an ubuntu member, if you want to help with the project, let me know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 166 (Unique: 142)
Hm I'll edit to go more into it, but I thought I was clear on that. i describe the NZXT and Bitfenix kits, where they are good or not. The problem is that they really pale in comparison to 3528s.

Like you should never buy the bitfenix kit because of 3528. It's literally just a small piece of 3528 with an insane markup, there is absolutely no reason to get it. And then the NZXT kit is kinda okay.... but when you really get into it, 3528 is still better. Maybe the 2m kit.... I still have my nzxt kit hooked up but I'm probably going to toss it.

But for quick easy leds, sure, nzxt kit is what I'd recommend.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 166 (Unique: 142)
Comparison of LEDs:
NZXT White 1m LED:

3528m LED stripk not even aimed on the board.

On the NZXT led strip, the white light is kinda overriden by the blue glow from my fans, there is definitely a white light to it (like the 2nd image), but I think the 2nd image pretty clearly shows the strip is far worse then just some 3528. Literally just having like a 6" strip of 3528 on the top of your case is more lighting then an nzxt led strip set up optimally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1641 (Unique: 920)
Nice tutorial. thumb.gif

Just got 5m 5050 RGB kit with remote. Now need to get some 4x lead wire and start playing.. I mean building. biggrin.gif

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

They are specced to run 12v, but they can handle about 13v, and will operate to about 8-9v minimum. This means you can't run it off the 5v rail or off 7v, for lower brightness, but you could use a non-PWM fan control to change brightness (dedicated fan controller or motherboard header).

Forgive me for being a little slow, but I had planned on running some 3528 @ 30 per metre from my cases in built fan controller (3-pin). So When I ramped up my fans speed, my LED's would also increase in brightness. From what you've said would that mean that the lower settings on my fan controller would not light up the LED's? My case is an NZXT Phantom 530, so it has a 3 stage fan controller (possibly 5v, 7v and 12v?).

Nice guide btw smile.gif
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 11:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 80 (Unique: 65)
Great guide!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in