[Build Log] SluggoFied - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] SluggoFied

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
So, I've decided to check off an item on my bucket list and start a build log! Not sure how long this will take, but you're welcome to come along for the ride. I'm sure that I'll need some expert advice from many of you at some points in the process.

Here are my major pieces gathered on the table:

Case & Components

Corsair Carbide Air 540 Silver Edition
Intel i7-4930k
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
16GB (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 1.5V
EVGA GTX 780 Classified (2 in SLI)
EVGA 2 Way SLI Bridge
Seasonic X-1250 PSU (ordered)
Antec TrueQuiet 120 UFO White case fans (x5 for rads)
Antec TrueQuiet 140 exhaust fan (still up for debate)

Transferring from current rig:
Lamptron FC8 fan controller
Mushkin Chronos SSD 240GB
Intel SSD 240GB
(Considering upgrade to Samsung 840 EVO 1TB)

Water Cooling Parts

2 Aquacomputer D5 pumps with USB and Aquabus interface (2 separate loops)
Alphacool NexXxos ST30 Full Copper Radiator 360
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Full Copper Radiator 240
2 EK-D5 X-Res Top 100 CSQ Black Acetal
EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ CPU block Full Nickel
EK-FB Kit Asus R4BE Mobo blocks Nickel Acetal
2 EK-FC780 GTX Classy Full Cover VGA blocks Nickel Acetal
2 EK-FC780 GTX Classy Backplates Black
Primochill 1/2" OD Rigid Acrylic Tube - UV Orange
Primochill Revolver compression fittings - Black Nickel - Straight Knurled

Next episode: removing heatsinks and installing waterblocks. Wish me luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 23)
Subbed!.

Two pumps, 2 separate loops, this will be interesting how you fit it into this case, and where.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziglez View Post

Two pumps, 2 separate loops, this will be interesting how you fit it into this case, and where.

I know! What have I gotten myself into?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Managed to carve out some time this afternoon before we headed out to a super bowl party, so I decided to install the mobo blocks. Grabbed my build tool box which hadn't been opened in quite some time and got started.

Unfortunately, the ROG LED has to be removed before you can install the mosfet block. Too bad, but I'll take the bling factor of these beautiful blocks over that lit up logo. What I'm even more disappointed with is losing the black shroud that houses the IO ports. That thing is nice and gave the mobo a tough, mean look. I didn't feel like screwing around with a dremel either. Maybe Asus will come out with a part that can be installed in it's place one day, but I highly doubt it. Oh well, 13 screws screws removed and off came the LED logo, mosfet block, and PCH block.

The X79 had quite a bit of TIM on it, so out came the Arctic cleaner. Luckily, I have enough left since my last few builds to complete this one too. I got the south bridge nice and shiny along with the block's nickel surface, then trimmed the thermal pads and placed them on top of the mosfet chips and coils. I spaced and didn't take pics of the installed pads or the new TIM on the X79, sorry bout that. Btw, I'm using Gelid GC-Extreme for this build.

Not a super productive day but even though my Niners weren't in the big game, I had to stop and head out to a friend's house for the night. Here's the finished mobo with installed blocks. Hopefully, I can get to the Classy blocks in the next couple of days.

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 23)
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 30)
That board is so nice with those blocks, subbed.

Things I own (Click to show)Sig Stuff (Click to show)
Signature your on it put, backwards this read to enough dumb were you if.

95.567% of people make up the stats in their sig. If you are part of the 4.433% who uses real stats, put this in your sig.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Missing friends

Rep: 700 (Unique: 431)
  • you can keep the led but you would have to make an extension i am going to have it showing somewhere in my case ( not attached to the board )
  • i cant believe they had you use another thermal pad ( same as comes on the board ) on the chipset rather then tim
  • you can keep the i/o cover without destroying it people have been successful taking out the heatpipe with a torch and a heat gun, you have to heat the i/o cover not the heatpine till you see the glue around the pipe bubble, you should heat the i/o cover evenly ( move the heat source around ) it will take more then a blow drier though

looks great !

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I got my 1/2" OD bending kit from FCPU this morning! Can't wait to give it a whirl. But first, I need to see if I can start getting the blocks on the Classys tonight.

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

• you can keep the led but you would have to make an extension i am going to have it showing somewhere in my case ( not attached to the board )
  • i cant believe they had you use another thermal pad ( same as comes on the board ) on the chipset rather then tim
  • you can keep the i/o cover without destroying it people have been successful taking out the heatpipe with a torch and a heat gun, you have to heat the i/o cover not the heatpine till you see the glue around the pipe bubble, you should heat the i/o cover evenly ( move the heat source around ) it will take more then a blow drier though

looks great !

Thanks Mega. Yes, I thought about placing the LED logo somewhere in the case. We'll see how creative I can get with that. As far as the thermal pads, the EK instructions suggested using TIM in addition to the pads for extra performance, but to be honest I'm just not buying it. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has used both and can offer some personal feedback. Maybe I'll find some inspiration to try your suggested technique on removing the I/O shroud from the pipe. We'll see how I feel near the end of the build about how the rig is looking. But man it would look sweet to keep it!

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Missing friends

Rep: 700 (Unique: 431)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

looks great !

Thanks Mega. Yes, I thought about placing the LED logo somewhere in the case. We'll see how creative I can get with that. As far as the thermal pads, the EK instructions suggested using TIM in addition to the pads for extra performance, but to be honest I'm just not buying it. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has used both and can offer some personal feedback. Maybe I'll find some inspiration to try your suggested technique on removing the I/O shroud from the pipe. We'll see how I feel near the end of the build about how the rig is looking. But man it would look sweet to keep it!

i can easily point you to the right ppl i have not done it yet, it is on my to do list

and to note i ment some people have done it with a torch and others with a heat gun

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in