AMD High Performance Project- By Red1776 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AMD High Performance Project- By Red1776

post #1 of 675 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 185 (Unique: 130)

Hello OCN'ers, Some of you know me here as Red1776. I had been a reviewer for a few years mostly reviewing AMD products and am known for building a quadfire machine with the release of every new line of ATI/AMD GPU's going back to 2007 and the 3000 series.

Earlier this year I was 'Compelled' to leave my post at the tech site I was reviewing for having had enough of the politics and games that can accompany the reviewing game. After leaving I began speaking with the people at AMD about an idea I had for a project that if you wish, you can watch unfold right here at OCN.

There are many unique aspects of this project. Firstly there is no review guide to the project. Secondly Is the latitude I have been given. This latitude will become obvious in short order.

The readers digest version of the 'AMD High Performance Project' is what happens when a guy takes the best of AMD components and pushes them to the limits. The second part of the project will demonstrate that an 'enthusiast' is not only a person that can afford an $800 graphics card or $700 processor, but that features, flexibility, and the ability to do a surprising amount on a budget is every bit as important as an insane amount of FLOPS crammed into a case.

In this four part project, I am going to do both. On to the build logs... I will be building two machines for the project.

Build 1:

AMD A10-7850K APU

Asrock FM2A88X Extreme6+

16GB AMD Radeon 2133 Gamer Series RAM

AMD Dual Graphics

NZXT 810

Build 2:

AMD FX-8350

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7

4 x R290X

Liquid Cooled

Cosmos 2

200x200px-ZC-56e38299_holodecksphere_black.jpeg

All of the high quality sleeving materials we have here are from LutroO Customs, including the tools.

I want to thank Mike Landenberger of LutroO Customs Computer and Sleeving Solutions for they're participation in this project.

You will be seeing more of LutroO Customs quality work as the 'AMD High Performance Project' progresses.

As part of the AMD High performance Project I will be testing high resolution/Eyfintiy/and multi card scaling in benchmarks and in gaming as well as pushing the systems to their limits.

This project will be unlike anything you have seen before I hope and bring new insights into AMD hardware as well as a different way of quantifying and reviewing. I will update as often as I can. I hope you all enjoy the project.

post-flame-small.gifThe AMD High Performance Projectpost-flame-small.gif
The Red Screw Performance Club
Quote:
FlailScHLAMP:
Budget Items get Budget results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 675 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 59 (Unique: 55)
Can't wait to see what this venture is going to be like. Thank you.thumb.gif

post #3 of 675 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 123)
Interesting. Keeping an eye on this.

Quote:
Intel - "We will build bigger, and bigger moai until the gods favor us again." ~ Rapa-Nui (1994)

AMD - "Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." ~ Robert Frost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 675 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Missing friends

Rep: 700 (Unique: 431)
subbed will ketch up later would of been sooner but i just got home !

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
post #5 of 675 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
Very interested
post #6 of 675 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 143 (Unique: 107)
Some might say you are lucky for being able to play with all of this neat stuff, well their right but we are also lucky to be able to just sit back while you do the work and watch it all come together. Have some fun because it looks like work but much fun too. Thanks RED. !!!

devil.gif [Official] AMD R9 280X / 280 & 270X Owners Club devil.gif

BUILD LOG
"Any fool can condemn, criticize and complain - and most fools do"
- Ben Franklin -
post #7 of 675 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
that will give us more insight into the new amd trend = apu vs old FX beasts
post #9 of 675 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 PM
post #10 of 675 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 354 (Unique: 199)
Subba Dubbed biggrin.gif

AMD Community Manager for ANZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in