[Build Log] Shadow Box - Parvum S2.0 & Custom Black MSI MB - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Shadow Box - Parvum S2.0 & Custom Black MSI MB

post #1 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 7)
SHADOW BOX

Shadow Box is inspired by and in a way a v2.0 of my Project Umbra build that went defunct when I had to move this past winter. I had the project at about 95% but a lot of damage occurred during the move. I'll be reusing the pair of 780s I had for that build, as well as the corsair ax860 psu and my 4770k.

What you can expect from this log:
Attention to detail
Carefully calculated choices
Awesome computer stuff

I fully intend to order only a few parts at a time so that I can ensure a proper fit with the next items to purchase.
The order will be something like this:
Case
Motherboard
Waterblocks/Rads/Fans
Pump/res
Fittings/tubing
Cables

Update Table of Contents:

1. The Case
2. Parts Arrive pt 1
3. Parts Arrive pt 2 & first block polishing attempt
4. Case mod update 1: shortening mobo tray
5. CPU block polishing
6. Motherboard arrives
7. Ram gets dressed in EK heatsinks
8. Test fitting components, GPU gets blocked
9. New case panels arrive, drilling and test fitting
10. Unnecessary GPU upgrade
11. New GPUs get polished blocks installed
12. Blackout teaser
13. Adding a black badge
14. One-of-a-kind MSI Z97M Gaming Black Edition
15. Front radiator & fan mounting + shroud fabrication
16. Case panel fabrication
17. Sneak peak at custom front panel
18. More front panel work
19. Custom front panel fitting
20. Angled I/O panel fabricated, outside custom panel work complete
21. Parts arrive pt 3
22. New photography setup
23. Block polishing finished, cable holes cut, components fitted
24. Tube bending pt 1
25. Tube bending pt 2
26. Tube bending pt 3
27. Tube bending pt 4
28. Panel fusion
29. 80mm fans
30. Potential EK badge
31. Badges & misc.
31. Reassembly begins
32. The last of the bends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #3 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The case has been chosen, and without further ado:

What could it be?

Appears to be safely packaged...

I think I got it all out.

Maybe you can tell by this?

Or this?

IT'S A PARVUM S2.0!!

I requested that the mid-wall not have any holes so that I can get their placement just right the way I want them, and without any extras. Clean is fun.

Starting the assembly...

Back wall goes on.

Front and HD/SSD mount bracket

Top and power/usb

Fin.

I originally requested black with grey accents, but Justin over at Parvum informed me that the grey would have to be custom ordered and instead suggested the frosted clear, which gives a grey appearance with the black. I liked that idea and decided to go with it. Justin got the order done and shipped out very quickly, as it arrived only 9 days after payment.

I'm very pleased with the case quality and design and I can't wait to start building and modding it (small mods of course because it is just gorgeous as it is). Huge thanks to Justin for his service and product.

The next major decision I have to make is on the motherboard. I'll likely use a z97 board, since they will be released in just a few days. I'll be able to re-use my Haswell 4770k, with the option to up grade to Broadwell when it comes out.

Initial thought with z97 is the ASUS Maximus VII Gene. I really like the mosfet blocks EK makes for the ASUS Maximus line of boards. On the other hand, I would have to do something to mask a lot of the red accents in order for it to work with the theme of the build. If I chose this board, I would likely watercool the RAM as well for a fully watercooled setup.

Second thought is the ASUS Gryphon with armor. The accent colors are subdued enough that they would just blend and I would not have to do anything to hide them. On the other side of things with this board, I would have to forego watercooling the mosfets (which in the end is not a huge deal... I just like the look of water going to everything). I would also likely skip watercooling the ram with this board.

What are your thoughts on the motherboard options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've added a poll to gather opinions on the best Z97 motherboard for this build. The board chosen would be blacked out to the best of my ability.

ASUS Gryphon w/ armor. Not much modification would be done to this because the accent colors tend to blend fairly well with their environment.

ASUS Maximus VII Gene. I would likely cover most of the red plastic with black vinyl on this board, and use EK blocks if they release them. The red on the PCB kind of turns me off to this board slightly for this particular build.

MSI Z97M Gaming. I'm leaning towards this board because of it's use of mostly black components. The red on the heat syncs looks like it can easily be taken care of as they appear to be just accents.

What are your thoughts?
post #5 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 03:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
if you go gaming, the msi boards are fail. I would pick one of the asus ones, due to your liking i would take gryphon tho i personally love red-black gene smile.gif

do you plan on watercooling it with your own kit? if so i would suggest going black and red so the coolant will look like it powers the rig with blood biggrin.gif

r5-1600 4.0 1.337vcore 2735 cb20 score
amd wraith prism cpu cooler
b450m asus prime motherboard
16gb ddr4 2933mhz oc'd cl 16 hyperx ram
gtx 1050ti 4gb low power
post #6 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Do you mean that the gaming series of MSI boards are no good, or that gaming with any MSI board is not good? And why is that? I'm not a huge gamer, but if those same concerns are applicable to other things, I'd like to know.

I was planning on blacks and grays for the color scheme. IMO the black and red layout is a little played out. I want to use some strategic lighting to make the components pop even with the dark colors. I was able to do it before but the build was wrecked in my move.

Not sure if I want to do black tubing or clear rigid with either black or clear coolant. That's why I'm taking the build slowly to make the right decisions based on installed components.
post #7 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 AM
RGBKB.net

Rep: 250 (Unique: 235)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvi View Post

if you go gaming, the msi boards are fail. I would pick one of the asus ones, due to your liking i would take gryphon tho i personally love red-black gene smile.gif

do you plan on watercooling it with your own kit? if so i would suggest going black and red so the coolant will look like it powers the rig with blood biggrin.gif

Why would you say that? I've had nothing but love for my MSI Z87M Gaming board. It overclocks well, has a great sound solution, and the pricing is competitive.

post #8 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 11:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
and i got 2 of them bricked in 3 months. z87 chipset.

r5-1600 4.0 1.337vcore 2735 cb20 score
amd wraith prism cpu cooler
b450m asus prime motherboard
16gb ddr4 2933mhz oc'd cl 16 hyperx ram
gtx 1050ti 4gb low power
post #9 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Do you think it might have been just a bad batch? I've been running a z87 M-Power without issues for a while now.
post #10 of 196 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 11:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 27)
The MSI board is perfectly fine. They're great values compared to the ROG stuff. I'd go with whichever you prefer. You won't notice a huge difference between any of them in terms of performance or overclocking tbh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in