[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #111 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 27)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

25. 'BACK IN BLACK" and "GREAT BALLS OF FIRE"

AppleMark
AppleMark

This hasn't been sanded at all, mind you. I will do that once the clearcoat cures. But I expect some pretty nice results. I expect with some actual *care* in the prep work and application, and using actual latex liquid masking, I can really make a cool effect that will complement the red lighting theme that is evolving for this case.

Thoughts?

That looks awesome! Makes me want to try that over some acrylic, black it out then strip of the masking and frost the acrylic underneath with some sand paper. Having the led's pulse or fire in sequence would kind of look like blood pumping. Use that Asus mouse that monitors your heart rate and have it sync the led's to match your body while gaming, that would be pretty cool.

post #113 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Okay, I may tease you (a lot), but seriously that looks REAL cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Dude, I was wondering where you where going with that earlier! Excellent effect!

i5-3570K - [email protected] (24/7 OC [email protected]) | AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 | Crossfire Asus R9 290 DirectCU II | Custom Watercooling Loop | 8GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Samsung 850 Evo 120GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB HDD | EVGA Supernova G2 1000w | NZXT Phantom 410 | Qnix 27" Evolution II 1440p Monitor

post #115 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBoy View Post

That looks awesome! Makes me want to try that over some acrylic, black it out then strip of the masking and frost the acrylic underneath with some sand paper. Having the led's pulse or fire in sequence would kind of look like blood pumping. Use that Asus mouse that monitors your heart rate and have it sync the led's to match your body while gaming, that would be pretty cool.

That sounds like an awesome idea! I may steal that as well!
post #116 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

26. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER - JHEREG FIGURES OUT HOW HE SHOULD HAVE DONE IT

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with my painting...

It seemed like it was taking far too many coats (and far too much paint) to get a decent finish on the parts. I think I was up to coat #8 or something insane like that, and was falling into an infinite GOTO loop.

10 Degrease w/ Isopropyl
20 Spray paint
30 Let dry
40 Spot imperfections
50 Sand with 400 grit until smooth, revealing primer on corners and edges
60 GOTO 10

On top of that, I was getting in some spots a rough sandpapery look, and in others an orange peel look.

After some research (both on several threads here and elsewhere) I determined I'd made two significant errors:

1) After using a self-etching primer, it's important to sand smooth and in some cases use a filler/primer on top of the self-etching primer. This would have prevented the sandpaper effect, reduced the need to sand down, and reduced the number of coats of enamel required.

2) I was applying my coats too "dry". I was so afraid of runs (which has historically been my failure along with insufficient prep) that I was avoiding getting the coats wet enough. As a result, the paint didn't have enough of a layer to "level itself" after application.

So I set out to experiment with this on coat #546, and learned how to spray paint (finally)

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

See that shine? That's a "wet coat" and I had not been getting that effect before. Silly Jhereg, so afraid of making the paint run, that he sabotaged his own paintjob.

*sigh*

Once those coats dried, I got this result:

*rubs nose in it* "See that?! That's what a finish should look like after a proper application of spray paint."

So after applying my hard-learned lesson, here are the rest of the internals of the case, all finally painted with flat black enamel:

^^ Top panel bracket, motherboard tray brace, front panel filler plate

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

^^ Bottom panel both sides and front panel both sides

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

^^ 5.25" Drive Cage, 3.5" Drive Cage, and back panel both sides

Not shown is the top panel, because I have it masked off in preparation for the next step for it.

Next step you ask? Well that would be to degrease them, mask off most of the surface, sand the remaining spots VERY VERY LIGHTLY, and apply some accent colors that fit with the overall scheme.

I'm thinking a medium red color in some of the recessed areas and on some of the rolled parts of the drive cages. What do you guys think of that? Seriously, any suggestions on accents?

After that, a satin enamel clearcoat to help protect the entire finish from scratches down the road.

Pray that the painting gods will have mercy on my poor orange-peeled soul.
post #117 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)
Did you list the hardware you plan on putting in it anywhere? I don't remember reading it. Gonna reuse the original or put the Pitchblende hardware in here or buy new stuff?

post #118 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBoy View Post

Did you list the hardware you plan on putting in it anywhere? I don't remember reading it. Gonna reuse the original or put the Pitchblende hardware in here or buy new stuff?

Honestly, I haven't thought that through fully, so I'm not sure I could list hardware at this point.

It's very unlikely that I'll transfer Pitchblende's hardware into here. I really like that 400R case. biggrin.gif

In the short term, I'll either put an old 2006 MSI mobo in there (old AM2):

Or I'll shove my 2008 HP mobo in there.

In the longer term, I just bought this Ga78lmt-usb3 and an FX6300 used, but plan on loaning them out to a friend while he builds his system out:

Or I may go looking for a new board that is red or black with red accents to match the color theme.

In the end, this case will probably be a general use and low-end gaming rig for my young son, and a source of pride for me. wink.gif
post #119 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

27. PROGRESS TO DATE COMPARISON

So thought I'd take a minute, now that the interior is dry, to see how this baby is going to look when I'm done, and use that opportunity to see what accents I'd like to do.

First step is to protect the finish I so carefully applied from getting damaged before I can apply the protective clearcoat (which will have to wait until AFTER I finish the accent colors.)

So I cut some little squares of cardstock, stacked them, drilled a hole through them, and made some "paper washers". Easy peasy.

AppleMark

And thus to assembly, with much care. And the result:

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

Then I took a couple of those photos, threw them in Gimp (similar to Photoshop) and played around with accent coloring.

TIP: If you're wondering how to do this, it is very easy. You open the photo in Gimp, make sure your "Layer" window is open. Right-click on the layer that is active (contains the photo) and "Duplicate Layer". In this screen capture, you can see I have several duplicated layers that I have tweaked. Each layer is perfectly aligned with the others.

The upper layers on the list are in front of the lower layers on the list. Then take the LOWER layer, and adjust the color balance (shadows works best) to whatever accent color you are looking for. This gives you something that looks like this:

Then you make one of the original normal-colored layers visible in front of the colored layer, and just use the ERASER tool to erase the layer wherever you want the color to show through:

So this is more or less what I ended up with as a planned color scheme. Maybe a little darker red. THE RED IS PHOTOSHOPPED, not actual red paint applied.

What do you guys think? I'll probably do some lettering or stencilling in the middle panel of the 5.25" drive cage.

Not content with that, I threw the front on there too, so I could do a "progress to date" comparison.

BEFORE and AFTER:

AppleMark
post #120 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

28. MOBO TRAY WINDOW THAT ALMOST WASN'T

Another small but correctable oops. This tray is old. So old that it wasn't precut for access to the back of the mobo to install an aftermarket CPU cooler backplate. I had intended to cut the window for that before painting and priming, but I got ahead of myself and then kept putting it off.

Well I decided I couldn't dither any longer.

First step: How big is that opening supposed to be? And where? I had no idea...

So I grabbed a picture of my Gigabyte mobo from teh interwebz and threw it into Visio (love that program) and marked the location of the mobo mounting holes and cooler mounting holes:

Pasted a photo I took of my Corsair case into there, scaled it so the holes matched, and layered it behind the mobo:

And finally, marked where the holes were, where the back of the CPU was, etc. That gave me this:

Hiding the back layers, I got this:

Printed that out and actually installed it using standoffs as a template over my modded case's motherboard tray.

AppleMark

Using that template, I traced out how big I needed the window (green), as well as tracing out any existing contours of the tray (pink):

AppleMark

Cut out the hole in the paper I had marked marked for the window, and taped around the resulting shape to protect the tray's finished surfaces as much as possible during cutting:

AppleMarkAppleMark

Some dremel cutting and grinding:

AppleMark

And voila. Looks pretty good, other than the fact that I mangled some of my hard-earned paint job by doing this in the wrong order. No harm. A bit of sanding and touch-up:

AppleMarkAppleMark

And the final product:

AppleMark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in