[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 15 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #141 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihglah View Post

I did something similar on my rig. Check out my build log [sig]

Plexiglass / Acrylic is easy - a jigsaw, metal files and sandpaper is all you need

Thanks Wihglah, that's quite inspiring. Now I have to figure out how to incorporate something like that, without looking like I'm copying. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

29. FIRST ACCENTS DONE

I managed to mask off and paint the first of my accent spots. I chose to start with the back of the 5.25 cage and the bottom panel. The first because if I screw up, it's least visible, and the second because it's pretty straightforward.

TIL: I need different widths of masking tape. There was no way I could cut, trim, fold, spindle, or otherwise mutilate my (rather expensive) green 3M automotive masking tape to mask off the drive cage, so I fell back on blue painters tape, which was *still* too wide and would only allow me to mask off half the area I wanted to paint.

AppleMarkAppleMark

Overall, I'm pleased with the result, though I could have done a better masking job with some thinner tape. I will probably try to sand the edges ever so gently to see if I can shape that a tiny bit.

AppleMarkAppleMark

The bottom panel came out better than the drive cage, though again, with some very narrow and flexible masking tape I could have gotten a perfect instead of almost perfect circle. But the beautiful thing here is... once that paint dries and I clearcoat it, that panel is DONE. No more painting the bottom panel! YES!
post #143 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

30. BUTTONS TO PUSH AND FEET TO STAND ON

The Mod/Smart buttons and MNPCTech feet I bought from PerformancePCs arrived, and I got some more accent painting completed.

First, the new toys!

AppleMarkAppleMark

And I got some more masking and accent painting done. I think I did a better job on these pieces.

First the back panel:

AppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMark

Note that the PCI slot covers will also be painted "cabernet", so we'll see some additional color there to balance it out. Once this coat is thoroughly dry, I'll flip it over and mask off the inside for painting accents there as well.

And the 3.5" Drive Cage:

AppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMark

Same story. I have to let that dry before I hit the other side.

I tell you, I'm really pleased with how the paint is coming out here. That dark red really adds an understated bit of beauty to the flat black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Looking great! Your painting is inspiring, I hope I can do half as well on my build as you are on yours. I think I'll go ahead and start my build log soon and see how things go. Only have 6 more holes to drill and then I'll be on my way back to having a functional computer.

R2D2
post #145 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

31. TEST FIT FEET AND MORE ACCENT PAINTING

I still can't get the holes centered like I want. I did use a sharp bit with an easy-start tip, as Animal0307 suggested, and marked the hole with pencil on tape. But silly me I didn't prepunch or predrill a smaller hole (which I will do next time). So two of the holes were about 1/16 off-center.

Used a file to bring the hole back to center.

AppleMarkAppleMark

AppleMark

As you can see below, the machine screws will hide the error. Only you will know I screwed up. wink.gif

So let's see what those feet will look like on there. I added some washers temporarily so I don't have a lot of extra screw sticking out. Technically, I expect the intent was to mount the screw head under the feet, with the nuts inside the case. But I preferred the cleaner look of the screw heads in the case. I'll have to get or make a spacer for this.

AppleMark

Here are a few more shots, just to get a feel for how it's going to look:

AppleMarkAppleMark

I think it looks awesome. And it gets the case well off the surface for very good air flow to the PSU.

And now on to the painting. Is it a sin that I'm beginning to grow weary of masking off areas and painting them?

TIL:

Don't cut corners on masking. The accent color you are spraying will sneak in between layers of paper/tape and get where you least expect it. Just a fine dusting in spots, and I think I can polish it off. But still.

Also, I want an airbrush setup. Rattlecans are just too brute-force for this kind of detail work. I feel like I leave more paint on the paper around the object than I get on the metal. rolleyes.gif

And as always, you can't get in a hurry with painting. I'm told that you want to remove the tape after it's had a chance to dry a bit, but before it cures, so the paint won't have bonded fully to itself and tear/peel when removing the tape. But you have to do it carefully (says the guy who stuck a fingernail in his brand new paint job.

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMark

The 5.25" Drive cage is done completely on one side now. I was able to do the middle, and the roundover, and the remaining rectangles all at once now that I figured out better masking technique.

AppleMarkAppleMark

And finished the other side of the back panel. Starting to come together. Can't wait until I can get that final clearcoat on. Gonna wait until the satin has fully cured before I do that, though.
post #146 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Vandal Switches = Sweet! wink.gif
Top Job on the painting, it's looking really good, I didn't see any Problems in the Pictures, either you fixed it before you took the pics or your QC Standards are way higher than mine! biggrin.gif

Could you tell us a bit about the feet when you've built the System? I'm looking for something to help with Vibration noise in my rig, and I think softer feet might help. thumb.gif
post #147 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Looking real nice. Maybe sometime in the next couple of days I'll swing over and see it in person. thumb.gif
post #148 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 04:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

Honestly, I haven't thought that through fully, so I'm not sure I could list hardware at this point.

It's very unlikely that I'll transfer Pitchblende's hardware into here. I really like that 400R case. biggrin.gif

This is pretty funny, Pitchblende's card (if it's that Galaxy 560TI) was in my apartment in my roommate's rig ^^

post #149 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBoy View Post

This is pretty funny, Pitchblende's card (if it's that Galaxy 560TI) was in my apartment in my roommate's rig ^^

That's hilarious. I'm not ashamed of wearin' ya'lls hand-me-downs if there's some thread left on 'em. wink.gif

Tell you what, though. That old GPU + an i3 will tear the heck out of Kerbal Space Program at max physics and graphics settings. biggrin.gif
post #150 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

32. RUBBER WASHERS, COOKIE SHEETS, AND LOGOS

This update is a bit of catch all, because I have a half dozen things going on at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Vandal Switches = Sweet! wink.gif
Top Job on the painting, it's looking really good, I didn't see any Problems in the Pictures, either you fixed it before you took the pics or your QC Standards are way higher than mine! biggrin.gif

Could you tell us a bit about the feet when you've built the System? I'm looking for something to help with Vibration noise in my rig, and I think softer feet might help. thumb.gif

Thanks. Let's say that when I took that photo, I'd already fixed some of it and the worst offenders were farthest from the camera. I'll def let you know how the rubber feet turn out. So far I'm very pleased with the look and feel, especially after my little tweak below. I hope you aren't completely sick of seeing my masking and painting. I can tell you that I'm getting pretty fed up with masking and painting. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreeq View Post

Looking real nice. Maybe sometime in the next couple of days I'll swing over and see it in person. thumb.gif

You are always welcome of course. Hope this gives you some more reason.

What have we here? Rubber washers? Did I happen to mention those? As I mentioned last update, the machine screws on the feet were longer than I wanted. I could have bought some shorter ones, but frankly I liked the idea of the higher clearance at the bottom. The metal washers I used as a temporary measure weren't cutting it, so I bought some rubber ones, which should also help with vibration:

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

And I finished almost all of the accent painting. I'm really starting to get tired of putting on and pulling off tape. Here's the motherboard tray with its freshly cut backplate window.

AppleMarkAppleMark

AppleMark

And the motherboard brace. I painted the inside of it red. I have plans for that brace. PLANS I SAY!

AppleMark

And the 5.25 Drive Cage (again). And I have to hit it one more time for the center and the roundover.... (argh). Gotta say, though, the reveal is like opening a birthday present. wink.gif

AppleMarkAppleMark

If you look closely, you'll see my masking job wasn't quite perfect. I may try to sand a bit of the overrun off, or not. At this point, I'm really afraid to mess with it for fear I'll screw it up and have to repaint. (argh argh)

While that was all going on, I spent a bit of time playing around with cookie pans. Whazzat? Cookie pans? Well why not? Have a look at what they might do for a back side panel bumpout:

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

I'll have to cut the rounded edge off, and do some body filler work to smooth out some of that crease and a few of the imperfections from handling.

Only real question at this point is whether I mount it with the "lip" on the inside or outside of the panel. If I go with the smaller pan (second photo) I could do either. But the larger pan (3rd photo) would require external mounting.

And last but not least, my initial idea for a logo. I'm thinking that I'll cut something like this design into either some sheet metal or acrylic, and backlight it through some translucent acrylic. I've been checking out available materials at Tap Plastics, and I've got.. ideas. Yeah... ideas.

AppleMark

Worse yet, this is giving me other ideas. Like the kind that would require taking another look at the top panel with maybe a Dremel. No. No don't even think about it... far too late for that. Would require more *shudder* painting....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in