[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 17 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #161 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
33. ALL BECOMES CLEAR

So finally finished all of the interior basecoat and accents, and now.... clear coat time! Using a Krylon Acrylic satin clearcoat (that is supposedly an acrylic enamel according to Amazon, but I'm not so sure....)

As I've mentioned before, my primary goal here is scratch resistance to protect the flat finish.

I'm starting with the front panel, top brace, bottom panel, and back panel, since it's now been over a week since I painted those. It should be cured enough to clear coat.

AppleMark

I had already wet-sanded with 400 grit and let dry. Now degreased using isopropyl alcohol:

AppleMark

And used a tack cloth to remove any lint or dust:

AppleMark

And after the first coat of clear:

AppleMarkAppleMark

Sanded with 800 and second coat of clear on the bottom panel:

AppleMark

Waiting for that to dry and then I'll wet-sand with 1000.

And the front panel:

AppleMarkAppleMark

Front panel filler plate:

AppleMark

Back panel:

AppleMark

Top brace:

AppleMark

Getting better at using the clear coat. Wish I could have gotten the base coat smoother, but that would have required essentially sanding back down to metal, repriming with a filler primer, and starting over. At this point, I just want to see how nice I can make it, even with the basecoat flaws.

And noticed something about the fan... there's a reddish powder on the grill. Hmm... wonder what that could be.

AppleMark

Oh yeah... that's paint dust from overspray. Now I know why you set up an exhaust fan with a filter to catch that stuff. It gets everywhere, otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 02:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Looks good! I've never heard of acrylic enamel before, I usually go for the clear coat you can get for cars but that's way to glossy, this stuff Looks much better.
Are you getting sick of painting yet? I normally get bored with it after the first coat and just want to get on with building! biggrin.gif

I've been thinking about how you could do your logo with Hand Tools and I really can't think of anything except being a pro at using a jigsaw
Can't wait to see how you do it! I'll be taking notes.... thumb.gif
post #163 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Looks good! I've never heard of acrylic enamel before, I usually go for the clear coat you can get for cars but that's way to glossy, this stuff Looks much better.
Are you getting sick of painting yet? I normally get bored with it after the first coat and just want to get on with building! biggrin.gif

I've been thinking about how you could do your logo with Hand Tools and I really can't think of anything except being a pro at using a jigsaw
Can't wait to see how you do it! I'll be taking notes.... thumb.gif

I've never heard of it either.

I think Amazon screwed up on the description, because that stuff is clearly an acrylic spray. The satin and flat versions are even listed specifically as acrylic.

And yeah, I'm sick of painting. I talked to my dad, who's done much more painting than I have, and he basically said since I wasn't going for a high-gloss finish I could omit sanding between clearcoats, which saves a lot of time.

I just installed my first rivets, I'll post an update soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

34. INTERNAL PAINTING DONE AND ASSEMBLY! (PICTURE HEAVY)

So I had a chat with my father, who said I was overdoing it on the clear coat. Basically, unless I was using a gloss finish that I wanted to mirror out, sanding the clear was only required if I saw imperfections in the clear that I wanted to remove.

Since I'm using a satin over flat finish, there wasn't really need for further sanding. With that... all the painting of the internals is done (I still have to paint the side panels and the outside of the top panel, but that's down the road a bit...)

AppleMark

So let's start the assembly! This is my first time using pop rivets. Just bought my first rivet gun last month, and ordered some pre-painted black rivets from ADPRivet.

AppleMarkAppleMark

I decided to start with the filler plate on the front panel to try and get a feel for the tool and the rivets. That filler plate is the Lowes nailing plate that I had to use to fill in the external 3.5" drive hole before drilling my front fan holes. Note that I had to core out some of the holes throughout this assembly. With the extra paint thickness, I couldn't get the rivets in!

AppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMark

Man that felt good! And look at that perfect fan hole!

Alright, let's do this...

Back panel to the bottom panel:

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

Front panel to the bottom panel:

AppleMark

Motherboard brace:

AppleMark

Motherboard tray. It locked in at the brace, and screwed into the back. Unfortunately, I appear to have misplaced my black screws that I needed for one of the rear holes, so I'm using a silver screw temporarily. I'll have all-black screws or paint over the silver ones later:

3.5" Drive Cage:

5.25" Drive Cage. I slid a piece of plastic sheet between the two to protect from scratching it up during positioning:

AppleMark

And I discovered it was blocked by the back of the top two rivets on my fan filler plate. Oops. Oh well.. tin snips time...
AppleMarkAppleMark

Then drilled through the top and bottom cages so I could rivet them together.

Top Panel Brace:

Now... the perceptive reader will have noticed feet on that thing. I did those a bit earlier in the process, but I wanted to talk about them near the end. If you remember, I bought some rubber washers so I could install the mounting machine screws backward to keep the inside of the case cleaner. Here's the hardware laid out:

AppleMark

Now, if you remember, the washers had a slightly larger hole diameter, which made it difficult to center them. So I took some electrical tape, cut it down the middle, and wrapped it around the machine screw where the washers would go:

AppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMark

PERFECT!

Hope you enjoyed this update, I can tell you it was a real joy to put this all together. Only a few mishaps during assembly, which I can easily touch up with a brush.

Next post... THE INTERNALS REVEAL!
post #165 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
damn. can't wait to see the finished internals.
This gonna be awsome.
post #166 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XorioZ View Post

This gonna be awsome.
^^This. wheee.gif

Can we get a wide shot of it all assembled or are you saving that for the next update?
post #167 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 AM
AMD Overclocker

Rep: 260 (Unique: 163)
Subbed!!!!!!!! My first case mod was simply a larger window to my Phantom 820

a couple of bits removed to add more room and some LED strips. But seeing a fellow noob modder like me going completely balls to the walls doing mobo rotations, complete disassembly's and the like (Although on an old case) Makes we wanna strip down my build and start again) biggrin.gif Kudos to you bro. + 1 For an awesome log and a sense of humour that matches my one best friend almost exactly! tongue.gif

If You Can Cool It! You Can Clock It! (AMD's Vishera)
GHOST rev 3.5
(29 items)
Rura Penthe
(12 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370 @ 4.95GHz 1.5V 2700MHz NB/3000MHz HTT
Motherboard
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GPU
Sapphire R9-Fury 3840
GPU
Sapphire R9-Fury 3840
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 2133 4x4GB @ 2000 9-9-10-27 1CR
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1 TB
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint HD502HI
Power Supply
Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W
Cooling
XSPC D5 Bay Res
Cooling
1x CoolerMaster Storm Force 200
Cooling
2x EK-FC Fury X fullcovers
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE360
Cooling
6x CoolerMaster Jetflo's 120mm
Cooling
Laing D5 Vario
Cooling
EK-FC Terminal Dual Parallel
Cooling
2x EK-FC Fury X Backplates
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream CE280
Cooling
6 Corsair ML140's
Case
NZXT Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor
Dell SE2717H
Keyboard
Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Mouse
Mionix Naos 7000
Mouse
Mionix Alioth
Audio
GX Gaming SW-G2.1 3000
Audio
Kingston Hyper X Cloud Core
CPU
AMD Athlon 860K
Motherboard
Asus A88X-Pro
GPU
MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition
GPU
MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition
RAM
G-Skill Ares 2133 CL10 8GB (2x4GB)
Hard Drive
Seagate ST1000VX003
Optical Drive
Samsung HD502HI
Power Supply
Seagate M12II 620W
Cooling
Arctic Cooling Freezer A30
Case
Corsair Carbide SPEC-02
Operating System
Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit
Keyboard
Razer Lycrosa
CPU
Intel Celeron G1840
Motherboard
MSI Z97-Guard Pro
GPU
Gigabyte RX580 Gaming 4G
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G
GPU
XFX RX480 reference edition 8G
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4g
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G
RAM
G-Skill Ares F3-1600C9D
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 Evo 120GB
Power Supply
Gigabyte XP1200M
Cooling
Stock
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #168 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by XorioZ View Post

This gonna be awsome.

Thank you! I've taken some "before/now" pics and I'll upload them in a minute. Then I'm going to see about something a bit more fancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

^^This. wheee.gif

Can we get a wide shot of it all assembled or are you saving that for the next update?

Ask, and ye shall receive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Subbed!!!!!!!! My first case mod was simply a larger window to my Phantom 820

a couple of bits removed to add more room and some LED strips. But seeing a fellow noob modder like me going completely balls to the walls doing mobo rotations, complete disassembly's and the like (Although on an old case) Makes we wanna strip down my build and start again) biggrin.gif Kudos to you bro. + 1 For an awesome log and a sense of humour that matches my one best friend almost exactly! tongue.gif

Join us, brother! We will add your distinctiveness to the collective!
post #169 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

35. BEAUTY SHOTS AND PROGRESS TO DATE COMPARISONS

Let's start with a few internal shots, shall we?

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

And now... the full case shots!

AppleMarkAppleMark

And finally, the BEFORE/TO DATE shots!

AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
post #170 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

36. LIGHTS, CAMERA...

Let's see what this baby looks like with some fans and lights in it! First the fan grommets.

AppleMark

Installing the fans. On the upper front fan, I could actually "drop in" from the 5.25" drive bay. Pretty convenient.

AppleMark

Had to use pliers to get the grommets to snap through. Had the [expletive deleted] pliers slip and nick my brand new paintjob, mad.gif so I put tape on the case edges to prevent that happening again for the rest of this.

And here's the front fans installed:

And the back fan:

Now let's have a look at some lighting. The fans have LEDs, so I'm set there. But I also bought this nifty red LED strip from Performance PCs:

Remember the mobo brace that had that nifty channel in it? Well have a look at this:

It fit in there like it was made for that spot. Just awesome. I have plans for that, beyond just shoving the LED strip in there, I promise. Now let's drop an old motherboard (MSI K8T NEO) in there and check that still fits properly. This isn't the mobo that will end up in this box, but with the number of times I'll be putting it in and taking it out, I figure an old 2004 motherboard is something I don't mind accidentally frying.

And the PSU. I slipped some paper under the back end of it, to keep from scratching the paint.

The observant viewer will notice that the PSU cables are on the far side of the PSU from the mobo tray. An unfortunate side-effect of flipping the mobo tray. I'll have to do something about that later. (Moar plans, boiling and bubbling in le cranium.)

All done?

Lets fire this baby up!

Holy cow those things are bright! Well part of the plan is to insert a semi-opaque acrylic in that slot, to diffuse the light a bit. But for now, let's fold over some paper and slip that in there:

Much better!

But wait... I feel I'm missing something.

Oh yeah! The front bezel!

Now you may have noticed something sticking out of one of the 5.25 drive bays. That, my friends, is an NZXT fan controller. I've got it hooked up to the front fans and the LED. A real frankenstein job there. I hooked the LED molex to the fan molex so turning down the LED also slows down one of the front fans (not what I'm going for). The plan is to make an adapter so I can plug the LEDs directly into that controller and control the case lighting independently using one or two of those sliders (I'm also going to paint the sliders red instead of white.)

And you may also have noticed a small little red eye peeking out of the top 5.25 bay. That's my new power switch, which I managed to connect correctly. Go me! *cough* Sorry, I get a little excited. That, along with the reset switch, are going to be mounted in one of those 5.25 bay covers already stuck in there.

[Expletive deleted] this thing is starting to look nice...

Hmm.... what would happen if I shoved an old optical drive in there? And yeah, those were IDE sockets you saw on that mobo. Oh and I'll need a video card too. No integrated video. And yes, that's an AGP slot.

Muuaaaahhhahahahahahaaa!!! It LIVES!!!!
It LIIIVVVVEEEESSSS!!!!!

Sorry. Carried away a bit there...

Gawd this is fun...

Now don't get nervous, folks. I've still got a metric tonne of work to do here. Front power and IO panel to make. Side panels to cut, mod, and paint. Some internal acrylic work to do. Cable management mounting points. Custom wiring extensions. Oh yeah, and a new mobo to install. I wish Gigabyte made RED motherboards... *sigh*.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed our newest installment of the Unearthing of the Relic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in