[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #11 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 01:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Looking good! Where are you planning to drill fan holes?

Can't wait for the next update! Keep it up! thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
post #13 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Looking good! Where are you planning to drill fan holes?

Can't wait for the next update! Keep it up! thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rRansom View Post

Looking good! thumb.gif

And oh, subbed. biggrin.gif

Thank you both. And here's where I ask for some feedback.

5. FAN LOCATION PLANNING

Here are a couple of ugly markups:

This ^^ markup is pretty straightforward. Please ignore the markups for the control panel. Right now I'm still focused only on fan locations.

I think (still measuring) that I can fit two 120mm fans stacked in this location. My plan is to go with a couple of red, orange, or amber LED fans (more on that later). This will involve cutting through the metal front plate and the plastic front bezel. I'm still looking at whether to cut first then smooth out the front, or smooth out the front then cut the fan holes. Fan holes will have a filter on them between the plastic and metal.

I have a 4.5" hole saw and a metal cutting blade for my bandsaw. So I am in good shape there. Need to get my sharpener and resharpen my drill bits too.

This one I'm a little more tentative on.

Obvious move is to expand the rear exhaust (just back of the CPU) to 120mm, which I think I can manage easily.

I also will be cutting a vent in the bottom for a PSU fresh air intake. Again an easy decision.

Now comes the hard part. Whether or not to add a side-vent fan or not. I really want to add a window to the side-panel. While it's possible to add a fan to a clear side-window, it's much harder to make it look good.

If I isolate the PSU (separate intake and exhaust) that leaves me with 2 fans in and 1 fan out, which gives a good positive air pressure in the case and air intake filtered. The CPU should be in good shape because it's in the line of air flow front to back with the exhaust close by it. However an air-cooled GPU might have a harder time keeping cool.

I could add an exhaust fan at the top of the case, which would draw some cooler air across the GPU. But that would also put 2 fans in and 2 fans out, which puts me closer to neutral air pressure. I'd like to have slightly positive, so that brings back the idea of a side panel fan again.

According to this article:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-cooling-investigation/10

One of the best combinations for 5 fans is two 2x Front (In), Side (in), Top (Out), and Rear (Out). So I think I'm going to have to do a fan in the window whether I like it or not. In that case, my first move is to plan out the window and then decide where in it I want the fan (probably over the closest PCI slot to the CPU to cool a future GPU.

I may have to put the top fan on the outside of the case, or risk blocking a PCI slot since the mobo is right there at the top.

So what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 11:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Looks pretty sound to me.
Personally I wouldn't put a fan in the door, at least not to start with, just because it spoils the aesthetic. You could go no door fan and then if the GPU temps are a bit high you cculd add a door fan later since it's the easiest of all the fans to do (no taking out the MB and stuff).

I think the top fan is a good idea, to balance intake/outtake of air flow. Do you need the PCI slot there? If you don't have a card in it put the fan on the inside and all's good! biggrin.gif

Good link btw, made good reading. thumb.gif
Keep it up!
post #15 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

6. FAN PLANNING PART 2: DEVIL IN THE DETAILS

Alright, I have some more detailed measurements made, and it's going to be a close shave in several places.

Let's start with the rear panel.

No issue here at all. There's plenty of room between the IO Ports and near side-panel. Let's move on to the front panel and bezel.

^^ Unfortunately, it's not quite a fit. There's about a 1/8" overlap.

^^ I can handle that by cutting a notch from the bottom 5.25" Drive Bay, which I was going to end up using as a control panel location anyway, so no big loss.

^^ That would put the top fan jutting into the 5.25" bay slightly, which reveals a second problem. There isn't any metal to screw the two top holes of that fan to. So I'm going to have to add some sheet steel to that location, preferably before I cut the hole.

Looks like it's going to be an adventure getting that part done. I should still be able to cut the bottom hole immediately.

So let's take a look at the top fan placement:

The issue here is clear. Any fan placed here has the potential to interfere with the board-edge cable connections, including front panel connectors and the bottom IDE slot. The bottom IDE slot I can probably lose, and the connectors tend to be small.

I could mitigate this by shifting the fan closer to the near side, but that would ruin the aesthetics.

So the verdict is:

Bottom vent: No problem at all.
Rear Exhaust: No problem at all.
Top Exhaust: Probably not, but may be a problem.
Front Lower Intake: No problem at all.
Front Upper Intake: More complicated.

And just for a bit of a mockup, here's a few ugly markups of what I think the finished front might look like:

Maybe I should draw it up in Google Sketchup instead... lol.
post #16 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Nah, MS Paint still rocks. Just make sure you use the tools for the shapes and you'll be A-OK. wink.gif
post #17 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Very interesting, subbed!

i5-3570K - [email protected] (24/7 OC [email protected]) | AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 | Crossfire Asus R9 290 DirectCU II | Custom Watercooling Loop | 8GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Samsung 850 Evo 120GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB HDD | EVGA Supernova G2 1000w | NZXT Phantom 410 | Qnix 27" Evolution II 1440p Monitor

post #18 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by rRansom View Post

Nah, MS Paint still rocks. Just make sure you use the tools for the shapes and you'll be A-OK. wink.gif
;-) Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I may switch to using Visio for some of that, since I'm used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18741 View Post

Very interesting, subbed!
Thanks!

7. REAR FAN MOD CUTTING AND MOUNTING

And my first fan test mounted!

Step 1: Trace outside and inside to verify placement:

Then off to the drill press with the hole saw.

Lesson Learned: Sandwich the metal between two boards, not just a backer board. I couldn't get the hole perfectly centered because the pilot bit was at the edge of an existing grill hole. It was close enough. Also I'm glad I clamped it down, because it jammed at one point and otherwise probably would have taken off a finger. :-(. Number one rule, wear safety glasses and clamp your work. Number two let the drill do the work. Don't force it.

Also Lesson Learned: I'm moving the drill press to the floor and spacing cardboard around it. Even at low speed it slings metal splinters a couple feet.

Such a nice clean hole. Now to clean it up a bit with the grinding wheel.

And then to mark and drill the screw holes. I used a tiny screwdriver to scratch the metal, and a 1/8" bit to drill out the holes. This allowed the fan screws to self-tap.

The finished product. I missed one hole by about 1/64 inch, but since I'll be using silicone mounts it won't matter too much. The hole edges are not sharp, but I need some mesh or grill to keep stuff out of the blades.

post #19 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Replaced the screws with Antec silicone grommets. I had to enlarge the 1/8" screw holes I had made to 5/32" to get the grommets in.

Hooked it up to another case in a darkened room to see how it's going to look.

Can't imagine how it's going to look with the final red/orange LED fans and the custom paint job. :-)
post #20 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 11:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in