[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 20 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #191 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

Yeah baby! Maybe you can get it to 350MHZ!!! And fans! It needs to breef! And don't forget to post a link to your build log herehere if you do! biggrin.gif

When I start you'll see a link there.
But first I need to finish two other builds and fix three laptops.

Current build logs (On Hold)

Current Case Mods
None
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)
Looking great so far, I'm excited to see how the side panel turns out.

post #193 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBoy View Post

Looking great so far, I'm excited to see how the side panel turns out.

Thanks again!

Threw the side panels back on. Still have to mod those but wanted to check clearances and such. And I still have a lot of work to do on the front IO panel to make it fit cleanly at an angle.

AppleMark

Also got some acrylic samples in to play around with, and the acrylic for the side panel.

Side panel acrylic, transparent red sample, 20% transparent white sample, and those with the opaque black and red.

I plan on getting some work done on the back side panel this weekend. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 01:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 30)
This is shaping up pretty well. Nice craftmanship Jhereg10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18741 View Post

+1 on stealthing the DVD drive, I hate being able to see them on the front of a case.

The front IO panel looks great at an angle. Does it fit in flush in the bottom corners? Looks like it;s sticking out a bit in the picture.

I don't want or intend to hijack your build log with my photos, but I wanted to expose you to another option on how to stealth out your DVD drive.

Mr. Eagle eyes up there rolleyes.gif ahem, excuse me, Brian18741 tongue.gif won't find any defects with this. The DVD drive that is, I can't say there aren't any defects else where. tongue.gif
I just had to make sure that when I applied the vinyl to the front of the tray that it lined up right with the face plate (which it does biggrin.gif).
I'm only joking Brian. It's good to have people with a keen eye checking in. It helps make the build quality that much better. applaud.gif

Keep up the good work Jhereg10.
post #195 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 02:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 108 (Unique: 74)
Great work and attention to detail!

I love the black/red color scheme.

I vote for E2, the nice round edges and the fan would look great!

Keep up the great work, and thanks for taking and sharing all of the pictures too, I may borrow your idea for the feet on my Antec 900. smile.gif

post #196 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Quote:

Thanks again!

Threw the side panels back on. Still have to mod those but wanted to check clearances and such. And I still have a lot of work to do on the front IO panel to make it fit cleanly at an angle. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
AppleMark

Also got some acrylic samples in to play around with, and the acrylic for the side panel.

Side panel acrylic, transparent red sample, 20% transparent white sample, and those with the opaque black and red.

I plan on getting some work done on the back side panel this weekend. smile.gif
I'm not sure what I was talking about when I said velcro earlier, thinking about it again there's nothing to attach it to behind the blank! Sorry 'bout that one... redface.gif

+1 for the stealth'd DVD drive and the angled I/O panel looks the bomb! wink.gif
As for the plastic, I think the clear plastic looks best, red is also good but if you're using red LEDs anyway you may aswell go clear.

[EDIT]
With those red fans behind it, that front panel really looks good! thumb.gif
post #197 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

37. CABLE MANAGEMENT BUMPOUT CUT AND TEST

I finally got started on this today. I've been very wary of starting this side panel, simply because I am using it as a test of how well I can cut a rectangular window.

So I started out by checking my cookie-pan options. The set I bought had three. It really seemed to be a case of Goldilocks and the Three Cookie Pans... biggrin.gif

I looked at the first, and it was toooo big.

I looked at the second, and it was tooooo small.

I looked at the third, and it looked alllllmost perfect....

The one that was "almost perfect" was so close that frankly I wouldn't really be able to tell until I had trimmed off the rolled edges. So I set to work doing that on both of them. So let us take yon trusty bandsaw, and put it to work.

AppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMark

It was sweet. That bandsaw went through the thin sheet steel like butter. I may wish I had used something thicker at some point, but I suppose I can replace it if it comes back to bite me later. Not the cleanest cut job, but good enough for what I have in mind.

So now let's have a look at the smallest, atop the middle, atop the side panel:

AppleMark

As you can see, I did both "just right" and "too small" and guess what... "just right" is "too big". There's no way I have enough room at the top and bottom to create the transition AND make it structurally sound. I need more room between the edge of the pan and the edge of the panel to work with. *sigh* So it's the smallest pan after all.

So now for the window.

Now, I have been told that a man who knows what he is doing, and has a good set of tin snips can cut a straight, clean line in sheet metal by hand with them.

I AM NOT THAT MAN.

But I had to prove it to myself first...

So I cut a hole in the panel with yon trusty hole saw:

AppleMarkAppleMark

And then I practiced cutting on the cut piece, to see how difficult it would be. It turned out to be easier than I expected. I also confirmed that my red-handled ones want to cut to the left. Alright then. Before we start cutting, let's have another look at the planned window here.

AppleMarkAppleMark

As you can see, I'm opting for an external mounting of the pan flange instead of an internal mounting. Two reasons. First, there happens to be a slight indented pattern on the panel, which I can use to help make the pan flush with body filler. Second, I realized that there were internal frameworks (especially the mobo brace) that had practically zero clearance. Third, this meant I didn't have to make the hole exactly the right size. It could even be a bit smaller than the bumpout itself.

As you can see, I drew three sets of lines. The outermost was the edge of the flange. The next in was the actual narrowest part of the cookie pan. And the farthest in was where I decided to cut, to give me room to screw up and recover.

So let's get snippy! I opted to try for a spiral cut (as I have seen online) and failed miserably. I just couldn't get the curve I wanted, and realized pretty fast that there was no way I was going to get where I wanted without warping the panel. The metal was too thick for me, and I was too inexperienced i this method.

AppleMarkAppleMark

What.
A.
Mess.

But, who cares, the point was to try and see what happened. And I left plenty of room to play with. The only downside is that I might have salvaged the resulting cutout for future body panels. I'll know better next time.

O Sweet Dremel, twas folly that came betwixt us. Take me back, and I'll never stray again.

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

Got the main shape cut out. And the lines are much better than I expected, frankly. I'm really starting to get the hang of using the reinforced cutoff wheels. Notice that I did an angled cut at the corners rather than try to kill myself with making a curve at this point. I find that it works extremely well and gives you a lot more room to work with afterward. As the next pictures show.

AppleMarkAppleMark

As you can see, I use a "cross cut and nibble away" method of making the corners. I do cuts one direction, then cut off the majority of the metal the other direction, then I just nibble away with the cutoff wheel until I am at my line.

AppleMark

The end result is not bad at all. Not at all.

And a bit of deburring:

AppleMark

And it's time to see how this is going to fit together!

AppleMarkAppleMark

Front and back looking very nice. So I taped it down temporarily for some test fitting on the case:

AppleMarkAppleMark

And a few pics looking at the installed panel from the inside of the case. Pardon the crappy old molex and IDE cables, please. I've got some old components in there for test fitting purposes.

AppleMark
^^ Upper area between drive cages and mobo tray.

AppleMarkAppleMark
^^ Lower area from drive cages to PSU just below mobo tray.

As you can see, it gives me almost an inch of clearance now behind the mobo brace bar, where before I had zero clearance there. And it the space stretches from the PSU (critical) to almost to the far edge of the drive cages (critical) and from the bottom to the top of the side panel. I think this is going to work swimmingly.

So let's have a final look from outside the case:

AppleMark

I find myself well satisfied. And now I'm reassured that I can actually do the side window on the other panel. The one that will really show. What say you?
post #198 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 11:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Looking at that result I think I'll be spending some 2cents.gif on a dremel someday this week. Hardware store here I come!!!

How do you Plan on mounting the pan to the side panel?

Current build logs (On Hold)

Current Case Mods
None
post #199 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Please consider voting for BruceB's 20€ LAN PC Beigemod, entered into the Mod of the Month contest for June! << VOTE THERE

Bruce did an excellent job, taking an ugly beige case and turning it into a true treasure. That is what a hardcore case mod is all about.
post #200 of 512 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Quote:

Please consider voting for BruceB's 20€ LAN PC Beigemod, entered into the Mod of the Month contest for June! << VOTE THERE
Bruce did an excellent job, taking an ugly beige case and turning it into a true treasure. That is what a hardcore case mod is all about.
Thanks for the Support mate! thumb.gif

Your bump-out's looking good; you're really Handy with a dremel!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in