[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 22 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #211 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Looks nice.

Good idea for the syringe. I'm looking to use the same product and I'll try to get one to apply the product evenly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Can't wait to see how you blend it in with the body filler. Great work so far as always!

i5-3570K - [email protected] (24/7 OC [email protected]) | AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 | Crossfire Asus R9 290 DirectCU II | Custom Watercooling Loop | 8GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Samsung 850 Evo 120GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB HDD | EVGA Supernova G2 1000w | NZXT Phantom 410 | Qnix 27" Evolution II 1440p Monitor

post #213 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

lolwut, is that a cookie sheet?

Either way, its always nice to see a fresh approach to a mod, no matter how unconventional lol

Yup that's exactly what it is! Unconventional is my middle name, if you spell it s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y-a-d-d-l-e-d. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1389 View Post

That looks really solid! I wonder what it will looks like when it's painted.

Hopefully good. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortheleus View Post

Looking good smile.gifthumb.gif

Thanky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanou View Post

Looks nice.

Good idea for the syringe. I'm looking to use the same product and I'll try to get one to apply the product evenly.

I'd assume you'll only get one use out of that syringe. Probably those cheap oral medication ones would be best?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18741 View Post

Can't wait to see how you blend it in with the body filler. Great work so far as always!

Me too! Only thing, and fair warning, I'm going to have a busy two weeks coming up after this weekend. Expect little or no progress during that period. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

I'd assume you'll only get one use out of that syringe. Probably those cheap oral medication ones would be best?

Well, I was thinking maybe a pastry bag would be handy here. It's easy to fill and apply with. Also you can cut the corner to the desired shape and width.
http://www.bonappetit.com/uncategorized/article/how-to-frost-cupcakes-with-a-homemade-pastry-bag
post #215 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Covfefe

Rep: 84 (Unique: 75)
Couldn't you spread it on with a paintbrush?

Ro'Ghaf II
(13 items)
Oldness
(14 items)
CPU
Intel 9900k
Motherboard
Some crappy 4 phase rubbish from Asus that was way overpriced.
GPU
EVGA 980ti ACX2 SC+
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266 16Gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo
Case
Cooler Master Haf Stacker 935
Case
Haf Stacker 915R
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift
Keyboard
DuckyShine 6 YOTR
Mouse
Logitech G502
CPU
IvyBridge 3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
560Ti Direct CU II
RAM
Geil DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K
Optical Drive
liteOn Bluray Burner
Power Supply
OCZ 1000W
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Copper / Plexi & Vapochill Chiller
Case
Lian Li
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
LG 21"
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Logitech
▲ hide details ▲
post #216 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

Next steps;

1) Grind off some of the excess, which will be tricky because the metal is thin. Some spots, I won't even bother since it will be hidden inside the case.

2) Add body filler to sculpt the join. I've got an idea to use sandpaper wrapped around a piece of PVC to get a nice smooth curve. We'll see how that works out.

3) Prime and prepare to paint with the rest of the exterior.

Then I can start on the front-side panel window!

Throw some 3M spray adhesive on the sandpaper and stick it to the pvc. Great for sanding awkward areas. I sometimes make my own foam sanding blocks with unusual shapes to sand tough spots and just glue some sand paper to them. Don't have to worry about uneven surfaces like you sometimes with when only using your fingers.

If you're worried about the strength of the joint you could always throw some pop rivets through the handle areas of the cookie sheet. Wouldn't be too hard to cover those up with the body filler.

Hmm are you going to be using that Everglass stuff you used on the front panel as the filler? I looked it up and supposedly it's flexible and has Kevlar strands in it, but I'd still be worried about flex cracks. Definitely going to want to be gentle with it after it's finished.

I can't think of any ideas to avoid any issue that might arise from that. Maybe get the joint to look decent with filler and sanding and then getting a large sheet of plastic and thermo-forming it over your side panel as a veneer, then attaching it with some kind of adhesive and trimming the excess.

post #217 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihglah View Post

Couldn't you spread it on with a paintbrush?

I think it would be a bit too gummy for that. It has the consistency of honey. Worth a try tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanou View Post

Well, I was thinking maybe a pastry bag would be handy here. It's easy to fill and apply with. Also you can cut the corner to the desired shape and width.
http://www.bonappetit.com/uncategorized/article/how-to-frost-cupcakes-with-a-homemade-pastry-bag

That's an excellent idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBoy View Post

Throw some 3M spray adhesive on the sandpaper and stick it to the pvc. Great for sanding awkward areas. I sometimes make my own foam sanding blocks with unusual shapes to sand tough spots and just glue some sand paper to them. Don't have to worry about uneven surfaces like you sometimes with when only using your fingers.

If you're worried about the strength of the joint you could always throw some pop rivets through the handle areas of the cookie sheet. Wouldn't be too hard to cover those up with the body filler.

Hmm are you going to be using that Everglass stuff you used on the front panel as the filler? I looked it up and supposedly it's flexible and has Kevlar strands in it, but I'd still be worried about flex cracks. Definitely going to want to be gentle with it after it's finished.

I can't think of any ideas to avoid any issue that might arise from that. Maybe get the joint to look decent with filler and sanding and then getting a large sheet of plastic and thermo-forming it over your side panel as a veneer, then attaching it with some kind of adhesive and trimming the excess.

Thanks for the adhesive tip. Definitely will do that. Not sure I can fit a rivet in the handle section. Still pretty narrow but I'll take a look at it.

As far as the Everglass, yes that was the plan. I've been very impressed with its durability so far. And with how much the panel stiffened up, I'm going to run with it as a test and see if it holds up.
post #218 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

39. TASTES HORRIBLE, MORE FILLING

Managed to sneak in some body work on the back side panel today. So let's start with another shot of the side panel.

AppleMark

First I had to grind down some of the excess JB Weld. That went pretty well.

AppleMark

Then I roughed it up with some 100 grit sandpaper.

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

Getting ready for the body filler. I used two pieces of wood to brace up the front edge to ensure it stayed completely flat during the body filler work. That's the longest edge and had the most risk of a deflection. My thought was, if it's as straight as possible during the filler work, maybe the filler will help keep it that way, and it will reduce the risk of cracking when I install it since it will already be flat.

I also braced underneath with some plywood to ensure the bottom of the work area was flat.

Degreased with isopropyl alcohol, of course.

First layer of body filler around the edge and the top. The top has a slight "lip" that I want to smooth out.

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

And then filing and sanding down the high spots.

AppleMarkAppleMark

TIL:  Leaving excess filler that has gone where you don't want it, with the idea that you'll just sand it down later, is silly. If you wait about 2-3 minutes after you apply it, then you can scrape it off with the filler spreader easy as pie.

And the second coat. This time I flexed the spreader slightly and managed to get a decent curved profile. I'm actually quite pleased with it. May not have to do much heavy sanding after this coat.

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

After this dries, I'll probably sand it down and switch to the glazing putty.

One thing to point out, I worked on this without handling it like it was fragile, and I didn't see any signs of joint failure. I think the filler, on top of the JB Weld, is going to give me a pretty stiff panel. Heck it's going to be stronger than it was originally I think.

PS: If you haven't already, please vote for my fellow beigemodder, BruceB 's Building a 20€ LAN PC for Mod of the Month! VOTE HERE!
post #219 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Managed to get the glazing putty on the side panel. On my second coat at the moment. Starting to look nice, though one of the corners needs built up a bit.

First coat, before sanding:

AppleMark

Second coat before sanding:

AppleMark
post #220 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Covfefe

Rep: 84 (Unique: 75)
This thread is full of awesome.

Ro'Ghaf II
(13 items)
Oldness
(14 items)
CPU
Intel 9900k
Motherboard
Some crappy 4 phase rubbish from Asus that was way overpriced.
GPU
EVGA 980ti ACX2 SC+
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266 16Gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo
Case
Cooler Master Haf Stacker 935
Case
Haf Stacker 915R
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift
Keyboard
DuckyShine 6 YOTR
Mouse
Logitech G502
CPU
IvyBridge 3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
560Ti Direct CU II
RAM
Geil DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K
Optical Drive
liteOn Bluray Burner
Power Supply
OCZ 1000W
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Copper / Plexi & Vapochill Chiller
Case
Lian Li
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
LG 21"
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Logitech
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in