[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 24 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #231 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solBLACK View Post

I've been basically checking OCN once a day at work just to see more pics of this mod. I'll never be as ambitious as the folks here, but I love seeing all the work!

I... I don't... I....

*headsplosion*

Thanks man. Your comment just blew me away. Just thanks. You made my week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 10:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

I... I don't... I....

*headsplosion*

Thanks man. Your comment just blew me away. Just thanks. You made my week.
Take your time and keep up the great work! I'm fairly new to OCN, but I feel I can speak for everyone that we are excited for the final outcome.
post #233 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Ovenclock

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Yeah, I'm still on this ship. Beige is back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 89 (Unique: 70)
Quote:

How do you use velcro? I'm trying to visualize that. Any suggestion on those lines is appreciated.

On a side note, I accidentally discovered that mounting that "Bay IO Panel" at an angle looks kinda neat:

EDIT: Fixed image. Uploaded potato by mistake.

AppleMark
Must be something in the water! Or maybe, just maybe, we are infecting others... *rubs hands together* Our evil plot is working! devil.gif
Thank you!

Awesome transfermation! Keep it up man... thumb.gif
post #235 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 45)
Awesome so Far! I gotta get mine started now.
post #236 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
This looks great so far! I love the modified side panel you made! Subbed!
post #237 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
40. BACK IN THE SADDLE

Sorry for the lag there, folks. Life happens and I had a busy few weeks with some work and family obligations. So back to it!

First off, thanks to the wonderful folks on OCN I was able to purchase some used mid-range components. I think at this point I should explain exactly what I'm doing here from a broader perspective.

This whole situation started because I had an old crap HP Compaq (2009 components) that was seriously lagging on productivity software, and couldn't play any remotely graphics-intensive games for me or my young kids. And with the prebuilt components, it wasn't upgradable either. I also had an even older self-built MSI/Athlon system mothballed (2004-2008 components) and an even older older self-built MSI system mothballed (2000-2002 components).

Original plan was to use one of the old beige boxes, buy a modest i3 processor, mobo, and RAM, and have a computer that could play the medium-level games we liked as well as run the higher-end productivity software I wanted to use. Then I realized the problems the beigecase had (sticky power buttons, cable routing, etc), and just bought a Carbide 400R for that build. Hence Pitchblende (sig rig) was born. https://www.overclock.net/t/1487041/build-log-project-pitchblende-getting-back-into-building

But all the modding you guys were doing here really caught my eye, and I had the beigebox there. Thus began this mod. But I really didn't have anything to put *in* it and no idea what I'd do with it after. Then I thought... "hey, why not make this a present for one of the small humans in your house?" So about halfway through the mod I began consulting with child #1 and getting feedback from them on what type of things they'd like. I've been using one of the old MSI mobos (the red one you've seen) for test fitting purposes.

Then I started watching the OCN Marketplace for older components. Basically anything that would provide excellent performance on games like SimCity, Kerbal Space Program, and Spore would do.

My first purchase was a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 mobo and FX6300 processor.

To that I added 8GB of Kingston HyperX 1600 and 4GB of Corsair M53 1600 RAM also purchased here.

And I added a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 since it didn't have a stock heat sink fan.

Then I found a damaged Carbide 200R case on Ebay for $35. I didn't need another case. Why did I buy another case? thinking.gif

Well turns out that was fortunate, because my buddy's laptop died right after that, and he needed some time to save up for a replacement system. So I threw the FX6300, 12GB RAM, my old Thermaltake PSU, and a 500GB HDD in the case and gave it to him to use.

That got me to thinking though. I should build a second system for child #2. I plan on modding a case for them later as well. But it would be nice to have the components on hand. I could put them in the 200R case for that in the meantime (after I get it back from friend).

So I start watching OCN Markeplace, and picked up an MSI A88X-G41 with an A6-5400K CPU.

And then I grabbed an old Palit GTX480FGPU that the previous owner had done "The Mod" on to attach an Antec Kuhler in place of the stock cooler.

And a Corsair HX520 PSU and a 128GB Samsung SSD.

And last of all an MSI GTX470 GPU. It should be arriving today. biggrin.gif

Meanwhile, my buddy finally got the core components of his build, and returned the 200R / Gigabyte / FX6300 to me (temporarily keeping 8GB of the RAM).

So here we are. As of yesterday, I had enough components (except the GTX470 GPU that's still enroute, and some of the RAM) to have three complete systems running. All of which are miles ahead of the old HP Compaq but none of which are exactly state-of-the-art. What shall we do here?

Well how about we start off by sanding and priming that side-panel bumpout to see how bad my body filler job was. (Sorry for the fakeout!)

I started by wrapping some plastic pipe with 220 grit sandpaper, to try to get an even slope.

Then I sprayed self-etching primer on the metal and the body filler. My primary goal here was to make sure I could clearly see the imperfections and prep the metal. I learned from my last round that no matter how nice it looks once the body filler and spot putty is done, until you put a uniform color coat on there you will miss all sorts of issues.

And yes, there are all sorts of issues. But none of them are so bad that a bit more spot putty won't fix 'em. I think this is looking quite nice.

Now, while we wait for paint to dry let's do some component swapping and see what we have, shall we? Here's the case with the placeholder components in it:

First up, swap out the PSU:

And then remove the old mobo:

And install the "new" one:

I used the gap I had cut between the drive cage and the front fans to route all of the fan controller and front switches to the back side of the case. The bumpout should hide these nicely.

Note that I had already installed Ubuntu on the SSD when attached to the old MSI mobo. And it actually fired up as soon as I got all the cables connected without barfing all over me with hardware driver conflicts. I love Linux.

I've still got a lot of work to do. Going to replace the old IDE optical drive with a SATA drive to clean up the interior. Gawd ribbon cables are just a pain. And I need to build some interior panels (probably out of acrylic) to hide the cable management behind. And a lot of other accent touches and finish out the front panels of course. And the side window... and and and. But overall, I'm very pleased with how this is looking and performing.

Quote:

Take your time and keep up the great work! I'm fairly new to OCN, but I feel I can speak for everyone that we are excited for the final outcome.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDBenio View Post

Yeah baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

Thanks man. I've been following your build closely and am very impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlderonnX View Post

I can't wait to see what you do with your next beigemod, man. Seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post

Thanks. I'm glad to be back on this after my two-week hiatus. Stay tuned, I expect to have more pics soon!
post #238 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 11:56 AM
AMD Overclocker

Rep: 260 (Unique: 163)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:

40. BACK IN THE SADDLE

Sorry for the lag there, folks. Life happens and I had a busy few weeks with some work and family obligations. So back to it!

First off, thanks to the wonderful folks on OCN I was able to purchase some used mid-range components. I think at this point I should explain exactly what I'm doing here from a broader perspective.

This whole situation started because I had an old crap HP Compaq (2009 components) that was seriously lagging on productivity software, and couldn't play any remotely graphics-intensive games for me or my young kids. And with the prebuilt components, it wasn't upgradable either. I also had an even older self-built MSI/Athlon system mothballed (2004-2008 components) and an even older older self-built MSI system mothballed (2000-2002 components).

Original plan was to use one of the old beige boxes, buy a modest i3 processor, mobo, and RAM, and have a computer that could play the medium-level games we liked as well as run the higher-end productivity software I wanted to use. Then I realized the problems the beigecase had (sticky power buttons, cable routing, etc), and just bought a Carbide 400R for that build. Hence Pitchblende (sig rig) was born. https://www.overclock.net/t/1487041/build-log-project-pitchblende-getting-back-into-building

But all the modding you guys were doing here really caught my eye, and I had the beigebox there. Thus began this mod. But I really didn't have anything to put *in* it and no idea what I'd do with it after. Then I thought... "hey, why not make this a present for one of the small humans in your house?" So about halfway through the mod I began consulting with child #1 and getting feedback from them on what type of things they'd like. I've been using one of the old MSI mobos (the red one you've seen) for test fitting purposes.

Then I started watching the OCN Marketplace for older components. Basically anything that would provide excellent performance on games like SimCity, Kerbal Space Program, and Spore would do.

My first purchase was a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 mobo and FX6300 processor.

To that I added 8GB of Kingston HyperX 1600 and 4GB of Corsair M53 1600 RAM also purchased here.

And I added a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 since it didn't have a stock heat sink fan.

Then I found a damaged Carbide 200R case on Ebay for $35. I didn't need another case. Why did I buy another case? thinking.gif

Well turns out that was fortunate, because my buddy's laptop died right after that, and he needed some time to save up for a replacement system. So I threw the FX6300, 12GB RAM, my old Thermaltake PSU, and a 500GB HDD in the case and gave it to him to use.

That got me to thinking though. I should build a second system for child #2. I plan on modding a case for them later as well. But it would be nice to have the components on hand. I could put them in the 200R case for that in the meantime (after I get it back from friend).

So I start watching OCN Markeplace, and picked up an MSI A88X-G41 with an A6-5400K CPU.

And then I grabbed an old Palit GTX480FGPU that the previous owner had done "The Mod" on to attach an Antec Kuhler in place of the stock cooler.

And a Corsair HX520 PSU and a 128GB Samsung SSD.

And last of all an MSI GTX470 GPU. It should be arriving today. biggrin.gif

Meanwhile, my buddy finally got the core components of his build, and returned the 200R / Gigabyte / FX6300 to me (temporarily keeping 8GB of the RAM).

So here we are. As of yesterday, I had enough components (except the GTX470 GPU that's still enroute, and some of the RAM) to have three complete systems running. All of which are miles ahead of the old HP Compaq but none of which are exactly state-of-the-art. What shall we do here?

Well how about we start off by sanding and priming that side-panel bumpout to see how bad my body filler job was. (Sorry for the fakeout!)

I started by wrapping some plastic pipe with 220 grit sandpaper, to try to get an even slope.

Then I sprayed self-etching primer on the metal and the body filler. My primary goal here was to make sure I could clearly see the imperfections and prep the metal. I learned from my last round that no matter how nice it looks once the body filler and spot putty is done, until you put a uniform color coat on there you will miss all sorts of issues.

And yes, there are all sorts of issues. But none of them are so bad that a bit more spot putty won't fix 'em. I think this is looking quite nice.

Now, while we wait for paint to dry let's do some component swapping and see what we have, shall we? Here's the case with the placeholder components in it:

First up, swap out the PSU:

And then remove the old mobo:

And install the "new" one:

I used the gap I had cut between the drive cage and the front fans to route all of the fan controller and front switches to the back side of the case. The bumpout should hide these nicely.

Note that I had already installed Ubuntu on the SSD when attached to the old MSI mobo. And it actually fired up as soon as I got all the cables connected without barfing all over me with hardware driver conflicts. I love Linux.

I've still got a lot of work to do. Going to replace the old IDE optical drive with a SATA drive to clean up the interior. Gawd ribbon cables are just a pain. And I need to build some interior panels (probably out of acrylic) to hide the cable management behind. And a lot of other accent touches and finish out the front panels of course. And the side window... and and and. But overall, I'm very pleased with how this is looking and performing.

Quote:

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDBenio View Post

Yeah baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

Thanks man. I've been following your build closely and am very impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlderonnX View Post

I can't wait to see what you do with your next beigemod, man. Seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post

Thanks. I'm glad to be back on this after my two-week hiatus. Stay tuned, I expect to have more pics soon!
But.... But the FX! Would have made an awesome little gaming CPU.

LOL but on a serious note! Well done. Looking good. Very impressed. Your modding shenanigans are tempting me to do the baking tray mod to my Phantom 820. Since I am not 100% happy with how the backside 120mm fan came out. And in my latest modding shenanigans I replaced my acrylic window that I had modded in with genuine glass. Since acrylic scratches so easy.

EDIT: I should spoiler your quote shouldn't I? Done!

If You Can Cool It! You Can Clock It! (AMD's Vishera)
GHOST rev 3.5
(29 items)
Rura Penthe
(12 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370 @ 4.95GHz 1.5V 2700MHz NB/3000MHz HTT
Motherboard
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GPU
Sapphire R9-Fury 3840
GPU
Sapphire R9-Fury 3840
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 2133 4x4GB @ 2000 9-9-10-27 1CR
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1 TB
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint HD502HI
Power Supply
Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W
Cooling
XSPC D5 Bay Res
Cooling
1x CoolerMaster Storm Force 200
Cooling
2x EK-FC Fury X fullcovers
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE360
Cooling
6x CoolerMaster Jetflo's 120mm
Cooling
Laing D5 Vario
Cooling
EK-FC Terminal Dual Parallel
Cooling
2x EK-FC Fury X Backplates
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream CE280
Cooling
6 Corsair ML140's
Case
NZXT Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor
Dell SE2717H
Keyboard
Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Mouse
Mionix Naos 7000
Mouse
Mionix Alioth
Audio
GX Gaming SW-G2.1 3000
Audio
Kingston Hyper X Cloud Core
CPU
AMD Athlon 860K
Motherboard
Asus A88X-Pro
GPU
MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition
GPU
MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition
RAM
G-Skill Ares 2133 CL10 8GB (2x4GB)
Hard Drive
Seagate ST1000VX003
Optical Drive
Samsung HD502HI
Power Supply
Seagate M12II 620W
Cooling
Arctic Cooling Freezer A30
Case
Corsair Carbide SPEC-02
Operating System
Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit
Keyboard
Razer Lycrosa
CPU
Intel Celeron G1840
Motherboard
MSI Z97-Guard Pro
GPU
Gigabyte RX580 Gaming 4G
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G
GPU
XFX RX480 reference edition 8G
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4g
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G
RAM
G-Skill Ares F3-1600C9D
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 Evo 120GB
Power Supply
Gigabyte XP1200M
Cooling
Stock
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #239 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 01:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 45)
Thats it. I start tomorrow!

Epic work, the front of that case looks good!
post #240 of 512 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 03:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Good to see you back J, epic work as always! thumb.gif

i5-3570K - [email protected] (24/7 OC [email protected]) | AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 | Crossfire Asus R9 290 DirectCU II | Custom Watercooling Loop | 8GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Samsung 850 Evo 120GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB HDD | EVGA Supernova G2 1000w | NZXT Phantom 410 | Qnix 27" Evolution II 1440p Monitor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in