[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 25 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #241 of 512 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
41. WHERE DO I CRAM THE RADIATOR???

Quick update on GPU addition and performance.

I got the Palit GTX480 video card, purchased through our brethren on OCN, installed. But unfortunately, nowhere to put the Kuhler at the moment!

Yup. Can't get the side panel on at the moment, even if I was done with it (which I'm not). I'm open to suggestions on mounting that bad boy. As you can see, I put a Corsair SP120 Quiet Series fan on the Kuhler.

Man that Antec Kuhler mod makes a huge difference in GPU temps. I'm running two almost identical systems now (I'll have a mod log of the second system starting after this one finishes). One with a GTX470, and this one with the GTX480. Running Kerbal Space Program, the GTX470 sounds like a blow dryer running and the temps are still hitting 80C. The GTX480 under the same load hovers around 48C and is still quiet as a mouse. The loudest thing in the case, frankly, is the CM TX3 CPU cooler's stock fan.

As for that second arrow, that's just pointing out that I have some work to do there on a planned PSU cover. biggrin.gif

And this is probably where I'll have to put the Kuhler. I'm thinking cutting a port in the top of the case is really my only option. But since I flipped the mobo and I'm running an mATX, I've got room to spare up there.

And you can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be flipping that logo around on the GPU before this mod is done. wink.gif

And I've also found some issues with how I mounted the Mobo tray brace. It seems on the original location, there was an "inset" to give full clearance to the side-panel clips.

Unfortunately, with my mobo tray flip, I no longer have that inset, and I didn't realize why it was important. So as you can see, I'm getting some binding and chafing (which is never good, but really stinks in this case).

So I have a bit of work to do.

Oh and here's a case study in why cable management is important. I'm still trying to figure out where all this will go. Clearly I need some sort of shield (acrylic or metal) to better hide it too.

I'm pretty sure I'll be removing the optical drive from this build. I'm finding that I can do almost anything required using a USB stick, it's an EIDE drive so I have the stupid ribbon cable to deal with, and it just takes up too much blasted room. I'll probably replace it with a USB/Card Reader bay device, since the current front has no USB or audio ports.

More later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 512 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 PM
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Rep: 106 (Unique: 88)
Why cant the rad go in the rear fan spot? I must be outta touch on this mod, Im gonna go through the log again.

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
post #243 of 512 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

Why cant the rad go in the rear fan spot? I must be outta touch on this mod, Im gonna go through the log again.

I may be an idiot... It never occurred to me to put it there....

Gonna be crowded, but I think it would fit.

EDIT: I could actually sandwich it between the CPU cooler and the existing fan. Basically it would end up with a push CPU fan, TX3 Cooler, 120SP push fan, GPU rad, 120mm pull exhaust fan. I'm betting that the increased airflow would more than make up for the slightly warmer temps coming into the radiator, but I'll have to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 512 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 PM
AMD s939 LVL 99+

LOL. Nice build. A lot more work than I put into mine. thumb.gif

post #245 of 512 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 03:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
GTX 480 + watercooler mod? Sounds like epic OC to me devil.gif

Setting it up at the back with a push/pull definitely sounds like the best plan to me, question is does it look good? wink.gif

I flip back a page to refresh my Memory and saw that front Panel... it's just so smooth... smile.gif
post #246 of 512 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

42. TESTING REAR RADIATOR MOUNT LOCATION
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

GTX 480 + watercooler mod? Sounds like epic OC to me devil.gif

Setting it up at the back with a push/pull definitely sounds like the best plan to me, question is does it look good? wink.gif

I flip back a page to refresh my Memory and saw that front Panel... it's just so smooth... smile.gif

Thank you, as always. It's not quite as smooth seen close up. I'm seriously considering doing some touch-up and repainting it. blushsmiley.gif

And yeah, I may get into my first foray into overclocking on that GTX480. smile.gif

As far as how it looks, I threw it in there to see how it's going to look. And the answer is... crowded. rolleyes.gif

I also had to get some temporary machine screws to hold it on. The fan screws I had were not long enough to go through the case, rear fan, and into the radiator. 1.5" 6-32 screws did the trick, but I'm going to buy some that look a lot nicer than these. I used some small rubber washers for vibration dampening.

Once in, here's what it looks like. I'll take some more photos later today.

Notice I have about 1/2" of gap between the CPU cooler and the GPU Kuhler push fan. Right now, it looks like I'm getting a "wind tunnel" effect with those lined up like that. I'm noticing slightly lower temps on my CPU now, and slightly higher on my GPU, but it's only about a 1 degree difference. The GPU is still sitting in the 40's C at idle and in the 50s C under decent load, so I call that a success.

I have a few options here:

1) Remove the red LED fan and replace that with the second Corsair SP120 Quiet fan to match the intake.
2) Do some internal accent painting on the radiator (not the fins!) and fans to match the case
3) Forget about the push/pull at the rear, cut a port in the top of the case, and mount push/pull there instead.

Any thoughts?

And remember that brace with the rivet that sticks out too far and prevents the side-panel from fitting?

I went ahead and drilled out that offending rivet.

But I still have the problem of the brace itself being too far out. I think my options on that are to:

1) Drill the other rivet, widen the hole into a slot, and recess the mobo brace slightly OR
2) Take a dremel to the side panel clip and cut enough that it will slide over the mobo brace cleanly as is.

Suggestions welcome there too.
post #247 of 512 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

I see what you mean, that is getting a bit crowded there. What about moving one of the fans to the outside of the case?
It might look silly (but then again it might not smile.gif ) but it'd give you another 25mm clearance on the inside.
post #248 of 512 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 AM
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Get rid of the red LED fan and match a second SP fan like the rad has. They'll work together better at matching RPM and air flow. You'll notice a degree or two drop I think. I wouldnt be offended the CPU is cooler, but the GPU is hotter. GPUs can get hot, CPUs can't, basically. lol

I agree with the outside of case fan in rear for that extra clearance. Only if that matters to you. You're doing a LOT more work than I did... How much scratch ($$) have you dropped on modding this case thus far? I think I did $50 in paint, and small supplies. All parts are hand-me-down / leftovers, so no loss there. biggrin.gif

THREAD JACKED! band.gif

post #249 of 512 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

If you're looking to buy a new fan for it maybe ditch the push/pull setup and get a single high static pressure 38mm fan?
Drop by the watercooling forum to see what fans/setups are best for rads, I'm not too sure myself TBH but I do know SP>>AF when it comes to airflow obstructions (AKA radiators or heatsinks) smile.gif
post #250 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

43. SOMETIMES A REBOOT IS IN ORDER - CLEANING, PRIMING, ADJUSTING

Let's get this party restarted!

I got my workshop back in order, and set it up all nice and pretty like for working. Got the computer out of my son's grubby claws. wink.gif And now I'm ready to get back to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

Get rid of the red LED fan and match a second SP fan like the rad has. They'll work together better at matching RPM and air flow. You'll notice a degree or two drop I think. I wouldnt be offended the CPU is cooler, but the GPU is hotter. GPUs can get hot, CPUs can't, basically. lol

I agree with the outside of case fan in rear for that extra clearance. Only if that matters to you. You're doing a LOT more work than I did... How much scratch ($$) have you dropped on modding this case thus far? I think I did $50 in paint, and small supplies. All parts are hand-me-down / leftovers, so no loss there. biggrin.gif

THREAD JACKED! band.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

If you're looking to buy a new fan for it maybe ditch the push/pull setup and get a single high static pressure 38mm fan?
Drop by the watercooling forum to see what fans/setups are best for rads, I'm not too sure myself TBH but I do know SP>>AF when it comes to airflow obstructions (AKA radiators or heatsinks) smile.gif

I've about decided I'm going to move that fan to the top of the case, exhausting out the top. You'll see what I mean soon.

First let's get the front off and get the internals out so we can clean it up:

AppleMark

Man that was nasty. That's what happens when you don't filter the incoming air, put the case at floor level, and your shedding-from-hell dog decides that's just an awesome spot to lay next to.

Now let's fix that mobo brace that sticks out to far. Remember how the left side was inset, but because we flipped the back of the case the right side wasn't?

AppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMark

I had to do some measuring and shimming, then bore out the hole a bit, but got the inset properly done. As you can see, the side panel now fits perfectly without having to force it.

AppleMark

Yes! So let's get to cleaning up the rough spots on that side panel shall we? Went to work with the glazing putty:

AppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMark

While I'm waiting for that to dry, starting on the next stop, removing and painting the sliders on the fan controller to match the color scheme:

More soon! Hope you enjoyed. I'm very happy to be getting back to this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in