[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 26 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #251 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 11:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Good to see an update again! I was already wondering where the next update would be. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
44. TOP RAD MOUNT HOLE AND ACCENT PAINTING
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaatibal View Post

Good to see an update again! I was already wondering where the next update would be. smile.gif

Thanks for sticking with me. Sorry it took me so long to get things rolling again. And to show my appreciation, here are a few more updates.

First up, progress on painting the fan controller sliders merlot to match the interior accent pieces:

AppleMark
AppleMarkAppleMark

Nothing too exciting there. I expect they will be dry enough to reassemble tomorrow.

I also took some time to paint the fan accent ring to match as well.

AppleMarkAppleMark

The next part was more interesting. After trying previously to cramp the GPU Antec Kuhler Mod so that it exhausted out the back, I decided it was just too crowded. Here's what it looked like before:

Way too crowded there. So I gave up, took the top off, and started modding a top exhaust. FIrst I taped everything up to protect it during cutting and marked it off using a fan and grill as the stencil. I used a small nail to punch holes where I would need to drill. That's a big lesson learned from earlier drilling during this project. Trying to just start drilling on a mark was guaranteed to have the bit "walking" across the workpiece:

AppleMarkAppleMark

And then back to the trusty drill press with hole saw to cut out the fan hole, and small bit to bore out the mounting screw holes:

AppleMarkAppleMark

And file down the edges a bit:
AppleMarkAppleMark

And last, remount the top panel and admire my work:

AppleMark

Of course, that fan is just a placeholder. The radiator will be mounted against the top from the inside with the fan in a push configuration to exhaust through the radiator and out the top.

And last but not least, more work on that pesky side-panel. I'm busting my tail to get a nice smooth finish. Last update, I'd just gotten through doing a touch-up with glazing putty. Next step was to do two coats of primer filler to see where the remaining rough spots were:

AppleMark

And after that dried, I sanded it down, hit those spots again with glazing putty:

AppleMark

Gonna let that dry overnight, and see how it looks tomorrow.

Next step, I think will be to (finally) cut the hole for the side-panel window on the other side.
post #253 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 09:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Yay for updates! wheee.gif
What paint did you use for the fan controller sliders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 06:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
post #255 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post

Yay for updates! wheee.gif
What paint did you use for the fan controller sliders?

It's just an enamel, which isn't ideal for plastic but I would have a hard time finding a paint for plastic in that color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Good to see you back! smile.gif

That side panel's looking sweet!

Thanks man. Gonna prime the inside today!

Reassembled the fan control and it looks great. Did a bit of touch up on the logo so it would stand out too.

post #256 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

45. Window Modding - When You Just Can't Put It Off Any Longer

It was time to take the risk and cut out the window mod on the side panel. I'll be honest, I've been putting it off because... well if I screw it up, there's not much I could do to save it. I'm cutting a big honking hole in a very specialized piece of metal. Cut it wrong, and I'm stuck with an ugly mess.

But all those months of cogitatin' paid off. Here's how it came together.

My first step was to plan out the cuts. If you remember, a while back I asked for feedback on window shape, and the majority came down in favor of a simple rectangle with rounded corners, hiding some or all of the drive bays. So I got out the old pencil, and previous cutout from the hole saw, and marked that baby up:

AppleMark

As you can see, I compromised on hiding the front bays. I did so much work on those accent colors, I didn't want to completely cover them up. But I didn't see the point in showing it all either. So I split the difference.

I first drew a pure rectangle, actually a couple of options, to eyeball what I wanted. Then I took the hole saw template, used it to trace the arcs, and eyeballed it some more. Once I was satisfied, I used that same template to mark the centers of each corner-arc, and then took a nail and punched a hole there (below left photo)

AppleMarkAppleMark

Let's just say I learned my lesson well on previous attempts to keep that drill bit from walking across the metal. I needed high accuracy here. And just to be safe, after punching the hole, I pre-drilled it with a small drill bit so the hole saw's center bit would pretty much have to line up where I wanted it to. Not taking any chances.

And then back to the trusty hole-saw. Alas, poor hole saw, your end came too early. I think I mentioned many posts back that my drill press is geared too high to protect the saw from "rubbing" and overheating? Well I tried using the hand drill instead, but it was too unwieldy. So I went back to the drill press.

Well folks, I'm sorry to say it finally gave up the ghost on hole number 4 there. I just didn't have any bite left at that point, and is maybe fit for a few more holes in wood. But I doubt I'll ever get another hole in metal out of it.

AppleMarkAppleMark

I think, doing the math, I managed to get almost (hah) 8 holes in metal and 2 in plastic out of that baby before it gave up. I'll call that $25 worth of benefit, considering how much easier it made cutting fan holes and such. But as you can see, that last hole just wasn't gonna go all the way around. Luckily for me, the outer corner (the only part I really cared about) was completed.

Then I grabbed the pencil again, redrew the connecting lines (had to adjust them a bit, the hole saw wasn't perfect) and brought out the nifty jigsaw with metal-cutting blade.

AppleMarkAppleMark

I gotta tell ya, after using this good-quality jigsaw, I'm not sure I'll try to use the Dremel with cutoff wheels for long, straight cuts in metal. The jigsaw was a dream to use on this piece. I think with the hole saw + jigsaw, it took 1/10th the time it would have using the Dremel.

Here's the cutoff piece:

AppleMark

And I went ahead and threw the rough-cut panel on the case to see how it would look:

AppleMark

AppleMark

Obviously, those cuts need some cleanup, smoothing, and deburring, but overall I couldn't have asked for a better result. I call myself satisfied. I hope you are too.
post #257 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

46. Fun with Foam Board - Playing Around with Panel Ideas

So another thing I've been rolling around in my cave-like cranium is what to do about better hiding the wiring. To understand why I'm concerned about that, here's an older photo of what it looked like with some stuff in there:

As you can see, there's a lot of free wiring running around beside the PSU at the bottom (partly because of the flipped mobo design) and of course you can see all the wiring behind the drive cages and such. I'd like to make some panels to shield the PSU and hide the wiring. It should also help stiffen up the mobo tray and allow me to cut access holes for wiring.

I first played around with some foam board, just to cram something back behind the drive cages to see if it would even fit.

AppleMark

Looks like that would work. So I ran to the store and grabbed some that was black (both the panels and the foam core) to get a better feel for how these panels would look. I'm thinking about actually using foam board for some of it, probably wrapped in vinyl or something.

I ended up with two panels. One above the mobo brace that just overlaps the mobo tray (this may be an issue, have to be sure it's nonconductive) and one below the mobo brace running the length of the case:

AppleMark

At the upper right of that photo, you can just see how the top panel slips between the mobo and the mobo tray, and you can see how both the upper and lower panels fit behind the drive cages above and below the mobo brace.

I also played around with what a PSU shield might look like. This is just a mockup, but it would hide all that wiring nicely. Worried a little about airflow from the bottom front intake fan, though.

AppleMark

I expect to have a translucent backlit logo on the final PSU shield.

And finally, a shot of what the whole thing might look like with those installed. That mobo is an old junker for test fit purposes.

AppleMark
post #258 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 09:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Looks good with the shield and back panel. thumb.gif

Quotes taken out of context and still sounds good. wink.gif
“Who’s the more foolish; the fool, or the fool who follows him?”
“That… is why you fail.”
“It’s worse.”
“That’s no moon.”
"..."
“Sorry about the mess.”
**Got to love StarWars** biggrin.gif
thumb.gif The {Official} Canadian OCN Club thumb.gif
thumb.gif OCN Beigemodders Club thumb.gif
post #259 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
I like it too. I wouldn't worry about airflow as long as there's some holes in the drive cage the PSU can pull air through.
What logo have you got in mind for the PSU cover?
post #260 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortheleus View Post

Looks good with the shield and back panel. thumb.gif

Thanks! I have an idea to do an angled "ramp" up to the PSU instead of squaring it off against the drive cage. More on that later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

I like it too. I wouldn't worry about airflow as long as there's some holes in the drive cage the PSU can pull air through.
What logo have you got in mind for the PSU cover?

Thanks Bruce! Airflow into the PSU isn't an issue, since it draws air through the bottom of the case and exhausts out the back, it can be completely isolated from the rest of the computer if needed. As far as the logo, I'll have to find that and post it later.

EDIT HERE TIS:
AppleMark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in