[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 29 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #281 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
50. Holy Foam Board, Batman! - Wiring Hole Locations

Cutting window in the 5.25" drive cage for front panel wiring to pass through:

AppleMarkAppleMark

The white splattered background there is a piece of foamboard I stuck in there to protect the PSU and other stuff from metal dust as I was cutting. I really should have taken all that out...

Result:

[Disclaimer, the power switch is just stuck in there. I promise I'm not leaving it hacked up like that.]

AppleMark

I think that will work nicely. Need to get some grommet edging and line that hole. Honestly, I did a crap job making the cuts clean, as I didn't want to disassemble the entire thing (would have meant drilling out a half dozen rivets) and had to work some odd angles to get the cuts right. The edging will hide the imperfections a bit.

Cut a couple of template holes for the fan wiring and the light strip wiring too:
AppleMarkAppleMark

Ran the wiring for the cold cathode behind the motherboard:

AppleMark

View of the back. Needs wire management in a bad way, but at the least, this will all be hidden from view once the side panel is on:

AppleMark

And the rest of the cold cathode wiring will run across the front of the case, nicely hidden once the top is on:

AppleMark

Next Up:

Exterior: More sanding. More painting
Front: Making final panel for power and reset switches. Front accessory bay should come today.
Internal: Finish planning holes and start fabricating the final panels

Side note: Wire came loose on one of my Yate Loon fans. I'll need to resolder that. Yay! wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 89 (Unique: 70)
post #283 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

Mods are looking great! Once finished, you'll never even know this started as a generic case thumb.gif

As always, that's high praise coming from you, sir. Your bench was a wonder to follow, and the end result was incredible eye-candy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #284 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

A quick update. I didn't get a lot done on this mod last two days, for various reasons. One of which was that someone gave me a nonfunctional Acer Aspire X1700 (wouldn't turn on and no HDD) and I just had to see if it was salvageable. In the end, it turned out the GPU (which was a GT100, believe it or not) was fried because the heatsink fan had seized up at some point. Found the same model on Ebay, bought it, and it arrived with... duh duh duhhhh... the heat sink fan seized up and nonfunctional as well. Well dang.

Popped a 320GB HDD I had laying around, ran to Fry's (The Happy Place) and picked up an R5450 low profile GPU for $35 - $15 mail in rebate = $20. Can't beat that with a stick. Have it up and running now on Linux Ubuntu 14.04 and considering keeping it in my workshop as a research / sketching system for my projects.

Regardless, I got a few goodies in the mail today. The carbon fiber vinyl was one. The others were:

AppleMarkAppleMark

That little tray will hold the SSD when the build is done. Thinking about a bit of accent painting on it as well.

AppleMarkAppleMark

And that grill will go over the radiator outlet. Gonna look schweet!
post #285 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 03:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

A quick update. I didn't get a lot done on this mod last two days, for various reasons. One of which was that someone gave me a nonfunctional Acer Aspire X1700 (wouldn't turn on and no HDD) and I just had to see if it was salvageable. In the end, it turned out the GPU (which was a GT100, believe it or not) was fried because the heatsink fan had seized up at some point. Found the same model on Ebay, bought it, and it arrived with... duh duh duhhhh... the heat sink fan seized up and nonfunctional as well. Well dang.

Popped a 320GB HDD I had laying around, ran to Fry's (The Happy Place) and picked up an R5450 low profile GPU for $35 - $15 mail in rebate = $20. Can't beat that with a stick. Have it up and running now on Linux Ubuntu 14.04 and considering keeping it in my workshop as a research / sketching system for my projects.

Regardless, I got a few goodies in the mail today. The carbon fiber vinyl was one.

Excellent choice of OS. smile.gif

Ether way, I'm pretty excited for the final build. This is coming out sweet! especially the red accents!
post #286 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaatibal View Post

Excellent choice of OS. smile.gif

Ether way, I'm pretty excited for the final build. This is coming out sweet! especially the red accents!

Thanks man. I've definitely turned into a Linux true-believer. In the last 6 months, I've transitioned from being a Windows user, to a dual-boot user, to a Linux with Windows in a Virtual Machine user. Basically, if I can hack it into working in Linux, I use Linux. If it refuses to, then I install it in a VM.

I spent some time today sanding, spot filling, and repainting the basecoat of the side panel. Have a look at the final result:

AppleMark
post #287 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 500 (Unique: 416)
Did you not use Pinhole putty, self etch primer, and sandable primer to get it flat by blocking?
post #288 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH View Post

Did you not use Pinhole putty, self etch primer, and sandable primer to get it flat by blocking?

Actually I did all of those... badly, apparently. This was my first time using body fillers, primers, and actually trying to make something look good with rattlecans. There's a bit of trial and error learning curve there.

The biggest issue I'm finding is that it's hard to see imperfections in primer because it tends to be flat finish. You think you have it cleam, then you throw a coat of satin over it and.. wow look at all that...

biggrin.gif
post #289 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 06:12 AM
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Rep: 106 (Unique: 88)
Quote:

Actually I did all of those... badly, apparently. This was my first time using body fillers, primers, and actually trying to make something look good with rattlecans. There's a bit of trial and error learning curve there.

The biggest issue I'm finding is that it's hard to see imperfections in primer because it tends to be flat finish. You think you have it cleam, then you throw a coat of satin over it and.. wow look at all that...

biggrin.gif

Sandpaper? Makes anything smooth...

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
post #290 of 512 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 06:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 500 (Unique: 416)
Quote:

biggrin.gif
quotet kinda of block are you using?
Are you blocking after each and every application of filler/primer?
Are you using a guide coat? (Best idea)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in