[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 32 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #311 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 89 (Unique: 70)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

@Jhereg10

Sick paint job! Different but really liking your style thumb.gif

Thanks man. Hoping to get the black overcoats on it today. Think I'll try a flat finish and see how that looks.
post #313 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

52. When it Rains, You Put On An Overcoat - Spraying the Black Over-Coat and Peeling the Mask

On the home stretch now!

Now that the mask was fully dry, I took the panels outside and sprayed on the black over-coat.

AppleMark

One mistake I found. The mask had "glued" the panels together and I needed to separate them to spray between. Unfortunately that latex was tough. It actually tore instead of being able to cut it in a few spots, which means my masking match-up between the side and top panels won't be as perfect as I had hoped for. *shrug* It'll do.

Here's the panels with four coats of flat black done.

AppleMark

Here's where I had some trouble. I read that when it comes to paint and masking, you want to peel off the mask before the top coat becomes rubbery to ensure you do not pull it away from the basecoat. You want a clean break at the mask line, so waiting until the paint is fully dry risks chipping and waiting too long can cause it to pull and tear as well.

Problem is, that stuff was seriously bonded to the panel. I couldn't get a grip on it with fingernails and I couldn't get leverage on anything to pry it off. Finally I settled on some tweezers to tear a bit loose. But at the edge, even that wasn't enough.

Finally I settled on working around openings, since some of the edging would cover any errors I made. I pushed down on the taped area with my finger, or a spot of latex with a pencil, and grabbed another spot nearby and pulled up to break loose a seam:

Success! Man I tell you, that masking fluid is just awesome. Great bond (almost too good!) and excellent seams. Zero underbleed.

After I got all the masking off (which wasn't easy to do without marking up the black paint, let me tell you) I took it indoors for some photos. I had run out of light outside.

AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark

So what do you folks think??? I'll be doing some close-up shots tomorrow. My young son, who will own this when it's done, is most pleased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #314 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 05:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 17)
post #315 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBoy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH View Post

Since you gentlemen are both painting gurus (at least to me) at this point, do you have any advice how to proceed from here?

I'm tempted to just do a matte or semigloss clearcoat now, to protect the finish. I've got a little bit of raised edge where the masking peeled away, but nothing I can't live with.

My concern is that I can't do much sanding, as I've peeled off the mask and can't fix it if I sand through the black. Should I do a light sanding, or any sanding at all? If so, how should I approach it?
post #316 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Looking awesome! The paint job immediately reminded me of the Skateboard ramp in the original Ninja Turtles movie. Inverted colors, but damn it felt nostalgic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh2MDHO8Bfg
post #317 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by solBLACK View Post

Looking awesome! The paint job immediately reminded me of the Skateboard ramp in the original Ninja Turtles movie. Inverted colors, but damn it felt nostalgic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh2MDHO8Bfg

Lol you weren't kidding!
post #318 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 500 (Unique: 416)
At this point is where wet sanding would come into play - Use 1500 Grit with water. Very lightly sand. I would NOT use a foam block for this, go by hand and be careful. Then shoot/splay a satin or semi-gloss clear over everything you've done so far - You can build up clear on the edges the make it seamless thumb.gif
post #319 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
That looks beast! smile.gif
It reminds me of volcanos for some reason. biggrin.gif
Are you going to do something like this to the front panel aswell though?
post #320 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 29)
Looking good buddy!! I'm really diggin the originality in your paint job. What do I need to do to get into -beigemodders-club. I'm all about that stuff and posted on the thread but, no response.

"wнy ғollow ѕoмeone elѕeѕ paтн, wнen yoυ can rυn ѕcreaмιng тнroυgн тнe woodѕ and мaĸe yoυr own."
-n1

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question then a foolish man can from a wise answer."
-BL

ᗷᑌIᒪᗪᔕ ↴Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in