[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 36 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #351 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
The dark room shots look great

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Wow, this is relly coming together! Can we haz a shot with teh front panel too? plox?? wink.gif
post #353 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

It appears you are enjoying this. Here, have a few more "darkroom" shots:

Oooh that's one sexy pc. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #354 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weespid View Post

The dark room shots look great

Thank you kindly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Wow, this is relly coming together! Can we haz a shot with teh front panel too? plox?? wink.gif

Unfortunately I need to get the interior panels done before I permanently mount the fans! which I have to do before I mount the front. And I have to make the front power panel. And. And. *sigh*

SOON. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaatibal View Post

Oooh that's one sexy pc. wink.gif

Thanks!
post #355 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

55. That's a Wrap - My first foray into carbon fiber vinyl

Let me preface this by saying, I'm doing it wrong, and I know I'm doing it wrong. And I know why too. wink.gif

I decided, based on BruceB's urging to get the front on, to focus on finishing the interior panels that will be used to hide the wiring.

As you may remember, I had temporarily stuck some black foam board in there and made some rough cuts. I decided to use that as a template, and do some cleaner cutting to make the final product. There are two panels I need to make. One above the mobo brace and one below the mobo brace.

I decided to tackle the one above the brace first, which was probably a mistake as it was the more complicated one. Here is the temporary one using black foam board, and the markup I'll be using for the final product. (I ran out of black foam board, unfortunately, but it shouldn't matter since it will be covered.)

AppleMark

After marking the access holes/slots I wanted, to pass cabling through for the front panel (larger rectangle), drives (middle rectangle), LED lights (small rectangle at the bottom) and motherboard cabling, I went to my trusty band saw to make the mobo cabling cutouts:

AppleMark

And then on to my X-Acto knife for the interior cutouts:

AppleMark

Unfortunately those cuts were pretty rough, so I used some sandpaper to "deburr" the holes:

AppleMark

That left me with my finished framework. I set that on the carbon fiber vinyl and marked the rough-cut size. I went ahead and pulled off the backing off and laid it upside down on my work surface, and put my "front side" of the panel facing the vinyl.

AppleMark

(My vinyl wasn't big enough to do a full double-sided wrap without wasting a lot, so I opted to do a front wrapover, and a back cover of the vinyl.)

Then I used the X-Acto knife to cut an "X" pattern in each of the access holes, so I could fold it out through the opening. I tried heating it up to make the vinyl more flexible, but I discovered that the foam board was not strong enough to allow me to really muscle the vinyl into the bends I wanted, and the heat actually softened the foam board too! So I'm going to be stuck with rougher folds and corners than I want. Ah well.

AppleMarkAppleMark

After folding over the cuts in the access holes, I ended up with this. Not bad!

AppleMarkAppleMark

Now a while back, I commented that I had gotten a big sheet of flexible foam that was used to pad an unassembled desk. I decided that would make great flaps for the openings. I cut some oversized pieces and used a spray-adhesive to stick them to the back of the foam panel. Here's a front and back view:

AppleMarkAppleMark

After installing the foam covers, I put a sheet of vinyl on the backside of the panel. It didn't come out as nice as I wanted, because the foldovers showed underneath the sheeting. I may end up making another one if it bugs me too much:

AppleMark

Those "bubbles" you see aren't actually bubbles. They are strips of vinyl that I didn't remove from the front foldovers. Like I said, it bugs me how that back side looks, and I may end up redoing it because of that. *shrug*

Regardless, then I took the X-Acto knife and made star-cuts through the foam and the back vinyl holes, so the wires can easily pass through:

AppleMark

Frankly, I found it nearly impossible to make cuts as nice as I wanted. mad.gif But overall, the look is pretty good:

AppleMarkAppleMark

I slipped the panel back into place to check fit and overall appearance. I think the front, at least, came out quite nice:

AppleMark
post #356 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:15 AM
AMD Overclocker

Rep: 260 (Unique: 163)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

55. That's a Wrap - My first foray into carbon fiber vinyl

Let me preface this by saying, I'm doing it wrong, and I know I'm doing it wrong. And I know why too. wink.gif

I decided, based on BruceB's urging to get the front on, to focus on finishing the interior panels that will be used to hide the wiring.

As you may remember, I had temporarily stuck some black foam board in there and made some rough cuts. I decided to use that as a template, and do some cleaner cutting to make the final product. There are two panels I need to make. One above the mobo brace and one below the mobo brace.

I decided to tackle the one above the brace first, which was probably a mistake as it was the more complicated one. Here is the temporary one using black foam board, and the markup I'll be using for the final product. (I ran out of black foam board, unfortunately, but it shouldn't matter since it will be covered.)

AppleMark

After marking the access holes/slots I wanted, to pass cabling through for the front panel (larger rectangle), drives (middle rectangle), LED lights (small rectangle at the bottom) and motherboard cabling, I went to my trusty band saw to make the mobo cabling cutouts:

AppleMark

And then on to my X-Acto knife for the interior cutouts:

AppleMark

Unfortunately those cuts were pretty rough, so I used some sandpaper to "deburr" the holes:

AppleMark

That left me with my finished framework. I set that on the carbon fiber vinyl and marked the rough-cut size. I went ahead and pulled off the backing off and laid it upside down on my work surface, and put my "front side" of the panel facing the vinyl.

AppleMark

(My vinyl wasn't big enough to do a full double-sided wrap without wasting a lot, so I opted to do a front wrapover, and a back cover of the vinyl.)

Then I used the X-Acto knife to cut an "X" pattern in each of the access holes, so I could fold it out through the opening. I tried heating it up to make the vinyl more flexible, but I discovered that the foam board was not strong enough to allow me to really muscle the vinyl into the bends I wanted, and the heat actually softened the foam board too! So I'm going to be stuck with rougher folds and corners than I want. Ah well.

AppleMarkAppleMark

After folding over the cuts in the access holes, I ended up with this. Not bad!

AppleMarkAppleMark

Now a while back, I commented that I had gotten a big sheet of flexible foam that was used to pad an unassembled desk. I decided that would make great flaps for the openings. I cut some oversized pieces and used a spray-adhesive to stick them to the back of the foam panel. Here's a front and back view:

AppleMarkAppleMark

After installing the foam covers, I put a sheet of vinyl on the backside of the panel. It didn't come out as nice as I wanted, because the foldovers showed underneath the sheeting. I may end up making another one if it bugs me too much:

AppleMark

Those "bubbles" you see aren't actually bubbles. They are strips of vinyl that I didn't remove from the front foldovers. Like I said, it bugs me how that back side looks, and I may end up redoing it because of that. *shrug*

Regardless, then I took the X-Acto knife and made star-cuts through the foam and the back vinyl holes, so the wires can easily pass through:

AppleMark

Frankly, I found it nearly impossible to make cuts as nice as I wanted. mad.gif But overall, the look is pretty good:

AppleMarkAppleMark

I slipped the panel back into place to check fit and overall appearance. I think the front, at least, came out quite nice:

AppleMark

If You Can Cool It! You Can Clock It! (AMD's Vishera)
GHOST rev 3.5
(29 items)
Rura Penthe
(12 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370 @ 4.95GHz 1.5V 2700MHz NB/3000MHz HTT
Motherboard
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GPU
Sapphire R9-Fury 3840
GPU
Sapphire R9-Fury 3840
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 2133 4x4GB @ 2000 9-9-10-27 1CR
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1 TB
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint HD502HI
Power Supply
Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W
Cooling
XSPC D5 Bay Res
Cooling
1x CoolerMaster Storm Force 200
Cooling
2x EK-FC Fury X fullcovers
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE360
Cooling
6x CoolerMaster Jetflo's 120mm
Cooling
Laing D5 Vario
Cooling
EK-FC Terminal Dual Parallel
Cooling
2x EK-FC Fury X Backplates
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream CE280
Cooling
6 Corsair ML140's
Case
NZXT Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor
Dell SE2717H
Keyboard
Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Mouse
Mionix Naos 7000
Mouse
Mionix Alioth
Audio
GX Gaming SW-G2.1 3000
Audio
Kingston Hyper X Cloud Core
CPU
AMD Athlon 860K
Motherboard
Asus A88X-Pro
GPU
MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition
GPU
MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition
RAM
G-Skill Ares 2133 CL10 8GB (2x4GB)
Hard Drive
Seagate ST1000VX003
Optical Drive
Samsung HD502HI
Power Supply
Seagate M12II 620W
Cooling
Arctic Cooling Freezer A30
Case
Corsair Carbide SPEC-02
Operating System
Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit
Keyboard
Razer Lycrosa
CPU
Intel Celeron G1840
Motherboard
MSI Z97-Guard Pro
GPU
Gigabyte RX580 Gaming 4G
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G
GPU
XFX RX480 reference edition 8G
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4g
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G
RAM
G-Skill Ares F3-1600C9D
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 Evo 120GB
Power Supply
Gigabyte XP1200M
Cooling
Stock
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #357 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Heheheh. I take it you approve.

Hold onto your hat, because last night I finished the other panel and I'm about to assemble the panels and take some more photos.

thumb.gif
post #358 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:19 AM
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Rep: 106 (Unique: 88)
You're going ham on this mod. Makes mine seem pale in comparison. lol

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
post #359 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 03:30 PM
post #360 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

You're going ham on this mod. Makes mine seem pale in comparison. lol

Thanks man! I had to look up ham. Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

Looking good man...keep it coming! thumb.gif

I'm goin fast as I can! wink.gif

Here's a couple shots of the lower panel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in