[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 37 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #361 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
56. Modvengers Assemble - Starting to Put It All Back Together
Quote:
Now pay close attention cause this is where it gets... ah complicated.

Let's start with "what do we have to work with" here:

AppleMark

Above you will find (L-R): Back side-panel with wiring bumpout, upper wire-management panel with passthrough holes, case top panel, bottom wire-management panel with passthrough holes, front side-panel with window. And in the foreground, lying flat, is the front bezel. And of course the nifty logo stuck up above the top panel.

Wait... aren't we missing something? Oh yeah... the frame!

AppleMark

Let's get busy!

I started by permanently mounting the LED strip inside the mobo tray brace. It just fits so perfectly there, I can't not install it there.

AppleMarkAppleMark

As you can see, it was a bit long, so I bent it and ran it along the back of the case just above where the PSU will go.

Then I installed the lower wire-management panel:

AppleMark

AppleMark

And here's a look at the back with the wire-management panel installed:

AppleMark

I don't know i t yet, but I just goofed. Oh yeah... you'll see in a bit.

Regardless, next I installed the rear 120mm Yate Loon fan, because it would be easier to get the wire through that passthrough hole if I did it before installing the PSU:

AppleMark

And then the PSU goes in:

AppleMark

And the PSU wiring through the panel passthrough:
AppleMarkAppleMark

Now the upper wire-management panel:

AppleMark

Shall we take stock for a moment? Front view:

AppleMark

And rear view:

AppleMark

Ohhhh yeah baby..... biggrin.gif

I added a dab of hot glue to ensure the top wire-management panel and the mobo tray were fixed together:

AppleMark

And started feeding the front fan wires through:

AppleMark

And installing the front fans, when I discovered my big fat mistake.

AppleMark

With the wire-management panels in place, I can't get my fat fingers behind the fans to pop those silicone fan mounts through. After about 30 minutes of effort with every tool I had on hand, and sufficient cursing, I was forced to call it an evening. I got two choices. Remove the wire management panels, which would require removing the PSU, feeding the wiring back through, and ungluing the top panel from the mobo tray... or buying a set of bent needle-nose pliers like these:

Sorry guys, I had to stop here and go buy a pair of bent needle-nose pliers to install the stupid front fans. mad.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 04:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Aww, at least you have bent nose pliers for any future issues that may arise.The rest looks awesome though, i'm amazed how well its all coming together. thumb.gif

[email protected] name: George_C
post #363 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 04:34 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 89 (Unique: 70)
Most mods you see on here start with an already decent looking case.

But sir, what you've done here, from a beige turd to this is a refreshing transformation to witness.thumb.gif

+REP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:37 AM
AMD Overclocker

Rep: 260 (Unique: 163)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

56. Modvengers Assemble - Starting to Put It All Back Together
Quote:
Now pay close attention cause this is where it gets... ah complicated.

Let's start with "what do we have to work with" here:

AppleMark

Above you will find (L-R): Back side-panel with wiring bumpout, upper wire-management panel with passthrough holes, case top panel, bottom wire-management panel with passthrough holes, front side-panel with window. And in the foreground, lying flat, is the front bezel. And of course the nifty logo stuck up above the top panel.

Wait... aren't we missing something? Oh yeah... the frame!

AppleMark

Let's get busy!

I started by permanently mounting the LED strip inside the mobo tray brace. It just fits so perfectly there, I can't not install it there.

AppleMarkAppleMark

As you can see, it was a bit long, so I bent it and ran it along the back of the case just above where the PSU will go.

Then I installed the lower wire-management panel:

AppleMark

AppleMark

And here's a look at the back with the wire-management panel installed:

AppleMark

I don't know i t yet, but I just goofed. Oh yeah... you'll see in a bit.

Regardless, next I installed the rear 120mm Yate Loon fan, because it would be easier to get the wire through that passthrough hole if I did it before installing the PSU:

AppleMark

And then the PSU goes in:

AppleMark

And the PSU wiring through the panel passthrough:
AppleMarkAppleMark

Now the upper wire-management panel:

AppleMark

Shall we take stock for a moment? Front view:

AppleMark

And rear view:

AppleMark

Ohhhh yeah baby..... biggrin.gif

I added a dab of hot glue to ensure the top wire-management panel and the mobo tray were fixed together:

AppleMark

And started feeding the front fan wires through:

AppleMark

And installing the front fans, when I discovered my big fat mistake.

AppleMark

With the wire-management panels in place, I can't get my fat fingers behind the fans to pop those silicone fan mounts through. After about 30 minutes of effort with every tool I had on hand, and sufficient cursing, I was forced to call it an evening. I got two choices. Remove the wire management panels, which would require removing the PSU, feeding the wiring back through, and ungluing the top panel from the mobo tray... or buying a set of bent needle-nose pliers like these:

Sorry guys, I had to stop here and go buy a pair of bent needle-nose pliers to install the stupid front fans. mad.gif
Man how did you make the cable management grommets? The ones for my Phantom 820 have degraded and so I figured why not make my own ones like you have?

If You Can Cool It! You Can Clock It! (AMD's Vishera)
GHOST rev 3.5
(29 items)
Rura Penthe
(12 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370 @ 4.95GHz 1.5V 2700MHz NB/3000MHz HTT
Motherboard
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GPU
Sapphire R9-Fury 3840
GPU
Sapphire R9-Fury 3840
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 2133 4x4GB @ 2000 9-9-10-27 1CR
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1 TB
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint HD502HI
Power Supply
Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W
Cooling
XSPC D5 Bay Res
Cooling
1x CoolerMaster Storm Force 200
Cooling
2x EK-FC Fury X fullcovers
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE360
Cooling
6x CoolerMaster Jetflo's 120mm
Cooling
Laing D5 Vario
Cooling
EK-FC Terminal Dual Parallel
Cooling
2x EK-FC Fury X Backplates
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream CE280
Cooling
6 Corsair ML140's
Case
NZXT Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor
Dell SE2717H
Keyboard
Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Mouse
Mionix Naos 7000
Mouse
Mionix Alioth
Audio
GX Gaming SW-G2.1 3000
Audio
Kingston Hyper X Cloud Core
CPU
AMD Athlon 860K
Motherboard
Asus A88X-Pro
GPU
MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition
GPU
MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition
RAM
G-Skill Ares 2133 CL10 8GB (2x4GB)
Hard Drive
Seagate ST1000VX003
Optical Drive
Samsung HD502HI
Power Supply
Seagate M12II 620W
Cooling
Arctic Cooling Freezer A30
Case
Corsair Carbide SPEC-02
Operating System
Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit
Keyboard
Razer Lycrosa
CPU
Intel Celeron G1840
Motherboard
MSI Z97-Guard Pro
GPU
Gigabyte RX580 Gaming 4G
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G
GPU
XFX RX480 reference edition 8G
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4g
GPU
Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G
RAM
G-Skill Ares F3-1600C9D
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 Evo 120GB
Power Supply
Gigabyte XP1200M
Cooling
Stock
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #365 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by George C View Post

Aww, at least you have bent nose pliers for any future issues that may arise.The rest looks awesome though, i'm amazed how well its all coming together. thumb.gif

Thanks. I'm amazed as well, TBH. Got an early start this morning and finished the assembly of the case to test out final fit. Those pliers were a life saver. That'll be my next post in a few minutes. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

Most mods you see on here start with an already decent looking case.

But sir, what you've done here, from a beige turd to this is a refreshing transformation to witness.thumb.gif

+REP

I am humbled, good sir. I was in awe of your highly customized and blinged-out test bench, so praise from you is praise indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Man how did you make the cable management grommets? The ones for my Phantom 820 have degraded and so I figured why not make my own ones like you have?

Well it may not work exactly like a real grommet. These are surface mounted behind the panel against the hole, rather than professional grommets that fit inside the hole itself. But if you're willing to use a bit of adhesive or hot glue to attach it to the back of the hole:

1) Go to a craft store and buy some black flexible foam sheeting like This Stuff on Amazon
2) Cut it slightly larger than the hole such that it doesn't look stupid.
3) Glue or otherwise adhere it to the panel back.
4) Take an X-Acto knife and cut a start-pattern set of slits in it.

Your Results May Vary. wink.gif
post #366 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

57. Test Fiddy - Test Fitting all the Panels and Such

Thanks to my nifty new bent-needle-nose pliers, I was able to get a grip on those two back silicone fan grommets and pop those through. YAY!

AppleMark

And with that done, I felt comfortable proceeding to permanently mount the top panel. First I made sure that my top cold cathode was securely placed and that the wiring (that white wire running along the front top) wouldn't be obtrusive or get pinched by the metal:

Then I simply popped the top down. It more or less locks into place, but has two screws in the middle, two in the back, and two in the front to secure it fully:

AppleMark

That screw also has the side-effect of securing the cold cathode in place underneath the top. Let's see how the top looks:

Niccceee....

And here's a look up under that lip where the cold cathode is. Completely hidden when the top is on.

AppleMark

Let's step back and have a look at it with the top on, shall we?

AppleMark

Next I did some wire tucking to see if I could get the back panel on properly:

AppleMarkAppleMark

I tell you, it fits, but it's not roomy. If I had to do it again, I'd probably pick a slightly deeper pan for that bumpout. It's the mobo brace that causes a bit of a tight fit for the PSU cables. Everything else seems to be fine. But I managed to get it on without having to muscle it into place:

AppleMark

biggrin.gif

And next to screw on the front bezel:

AppleMark

I discovered that I needed to push my wire-management panels inward slightly to get access to the two bezel screws, but it turned out fine. This also gave me a bit more room for wire management back there too, so no biggie.

And a nice shot with the bezel on:

AppleMark

Annnnddd a couple with the front side panel on:

AppleMark

AppleMark

I am really pleased with how this all came out.

Am I done? Heck no! I have several tasks left to do including:
  • Create the final PSU cover and apply carbon fiber vinyl to it
  • Mount the RELIC logo to the PSU cover and backlight it
  • Create the front Power/Reset panel
  • Install the fan controller and front IO panel
  • Install the mobo and HDDs
  • Install and mount the GPU radiator in the top
  • Wiring management, customization, and probably sleeving
  • Paint the PCI slot covers and installing
  • Remove and painting the PCI mounts for the cold cathode controller and the GPU (if possible)
  • Gett rid of the blue LED on the cold cathode control module and covering it if needed.
  • Possibly customize the top fan gril
  • Misc touch-up and detail work that I haven't thought of yet. biggrin.gif
post #367 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 89 (Unique: 70)
post #368 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:17 AM
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Rep: 106 (Unique: 88)
I cave a couple nice power and reset switches from my test bench system if you want?

They have the mounting ring / cap on back, sleeved and everything. I replaced them with LED switches... They might make nice fat switches on the front. thumb.gif

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
post #369 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

I cave a couple nice power and reset switches from my test bench system if you want?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

They have the mounting ring / cap on back, sleeved and everything. I replaced them with LED switches... They might make nice fat switches on the front. thumb.gif

The offer is much appreciated. I have two switches (22mm for power, and a smaller one for HDD activity and reset) that I bought for the case. I'd feel kinda silly if I didn't use them at this point. rolleyes.gif
post #370 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Would like some advice here.

At this point, I have a little bit of a quandary. I'm building this computer for my son. The guts that will go in it are currently in another beigebox while I work on this case.

However, at this point, I'm concerned that I can't finish the work properly without the final components (mobo, GPU, HDDs) in it. However, this may impact the availability of the computer for him while that's going on. Where this really comes into play, I think, is when it comes to sleeving and wire management. I've never done sleeving before, and I expect that's going to take some time to do right. I can sleeve the PSU, since I have it out and he's using a temporary one. But there are going to be some things I can't do until after I get the guts into the case.

Any thoughts on how to best approach this? Should I transplant now and set him up on a temporary computer, or just keep doing as much as I can in this case without his mobo/gpu/HDDs in it?

Here's the temp case, just for giggles, so you can see how the poor lad is suffering. I can't even put the side-panel on, because the GPU AIO Kuhler won't fit inside the case. tongue.gif

Oh that's just nasty... if only there was a way at some point to turn that into a nicer case... *taps fingers on table* hmmm.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in